What was done to your rig this week?

duktrx

It finally happened, coming home from a doctor's appointment I was accelerating to get on the freeway and crossed the 40 MPH mark, hit a bump, and got the Death Wobbles. I had several bouts of the DW in my old Ram 2500, but it had enough mass that it did not feel too bad, in my Jeep, it created a sense of death, partially due to the fact a semi was right next to me.

Got home and felt around for loose bolts and worn bushings. The tie-rid felt suspect, so I pulled it, and sure enough, the passenger side moved laterally and the boot on the driver was blown and had a rough gritty feeling while moving it around. Replaced the tie rod and ends. Since I was under the Jeep anyway, I pulled three of the four control arms, the track bar, and the drag link to inspect the bushings and ends for wear. All looked good, the passenger's side upper control arm is the one I didn't/couldn't inspect the frame side bushing. The bolt is stupidly captured by the catalytic converter 🤬. I assume the solution is to cut the bolt and replace it with one from the other direction.

Took it for a road test and hit bridge joints, potholes, and hit 65+ speeds with no sign of a shimmy or shake. Then installed the steering stabilizer.

jeeeep

Hooked
It finally happened, coming home from a doctor's appointment I was accelerating to get on the freeway and crossed the 40 MPH mark, hit a bump, and got the Death Wobbles. I had several bouts of the DW in my old Ram 2500, but it had enough mass that it did not feel too bad, in my Jeep, it created a sense of death, partially due to the fact a semi was right next to me.

Got home and felt around for loose bolts and worn bushings. The tie-rid felt suspect, so I pulled it, and sure enough, the passenger side moved laterally and the boot on the driver was blown and had a rough gritty feeling while moving it around. Replaced the tie rod and ends. Since I was under the Jeep anyway, I pulled three of the four control arms, the track bar, and the drag link to inspect the bushings and ends for wear. All looked good, the passenger's side upper control arm is the one I didn't/couldn't inspect the frame side bushing. The bolt is stupidly captured by the catalytic converter 🤬. I assume the solution is to cut the bolt and replace it with one from the other direction.

Took it for a road test and hit bridge joints, potholes, and hit 65+ speeds with no sign of a shimmy or shake. Then installed the steering stabilizer.
yep, or drop the cat enough to pull the bolt out and flip it

JimLee

Hooked

Just park it in any California city overnight and that pesky cat will vanish.

onlyone

Finally installed the MC rock rails. I have been procrastinating for a while. Easy install with very good quality powder coat while drilling a few holes. I had these on my 2 door and they will take a massive hit. Nothing like frame mounted ones but definitely strong enough for me especially being made in the USA and at a very good price point vs the competition, especially with the Memorial Day discount. I don’t own a high lift jack but there are provisions for them to lift the entire side of the Jeep. Seems a bit sketchy but…. 04DF0AB3-C066-4B56-8C70-58D5E9A3CD93.jpeg F0EB79A7-F587-4B76-AEFA-C284DC8FFC27.jpeg 2E9D3F04-C4DA-431D-963C-053E2BA9DD04.jpeg E0178AD4-A589-4CA9-BB5F-60CEC21D8232.jpeg

Finally installed the MC rock rails. I have been procrastinating for a while. Easy install with very good quality powder coat while drilling a few holes. I had these on my 2 door and they will take a massive hit. Nothing like frame mounted ones but definitely strong enough for me especially being made in the USA and at a very good price point vs the competition, especially with the Memorial Day discount. I don’t own a high lift jack but there are provisions for them to lift the entire side of the Jeep. Seems a bit sketchy but…. View attachment 393017 View attachment 393018 View attachment 393019 View attachment 393020
Keep us posted on how they handle the rocks.

CO_JEEPER

Found a Teraflex JK HD hinged tire carrier for a good price at the local shop so I snagged it. It’s just the hinge side and I reused the OEM carrier but it is solid as hell. Super easy install and I’m glad to have a little extra peace of mind with a 35” hanging back there. IMG_0428.jpeg

WJCO

Meme King
Found a Teraflex JK HD hinged tire carrier for a good price at the local shop so I snagged it. It’s just the hinge side and I reused the OEM carrier but it is solid as hell. Super easy install and I’m glad to have a little extra peace of mind with a 35” hanging back there. View attachment 393312
Hope they fixed the issues with those. Years ago, they were cracking. I would hope they've fixed those by now.

CO_JEEPER

Hope they fixed the issues with those. Years ago, they were cracking. I would hope they've fixed those by now.
Well, fudge. I did a little research on some reviews but never came across that. My overall goal is to EVO all the things, so this was just a stop-gap until I can afford double for their tire carrier. Hopefully it will last at least that long. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll look further into the cracking and be vigilant.

Well, fudge. I did a little research on some reviews but never came across that. My overall goal is to EVO all the things, so this was just a stop-gap until I can afford double for their tire carrier. Hopefully it will last at least that long. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll look further into the cracking and be vigilant.
Why stop at EVO if you can do GenRight for more? 😄

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
So not entirely "this week". More like the past three weeks:

*Nitto Trail Grappler 38X13.5R17 (replaced 37" Cooper STT's)
*PSC Cylinder Assist Steering Kit
*EVO MFG Front/Rear HD End Links
*EVO MFG JLU Rock Sliders
*Reid Racing Knuckles
*Dynatrac HD Ball Joints
*Borla Touring Climber Cat-Back Exhaust
*Rugged Ridge Fender Chop Brackets w/DRLs
*Baja Designs Squadron LEDs in Rear Bumper
*Replaced TREs on Synergy Drag Link and Tie Rod
*Brake Pads Front/Rear
*Reinstalled EVO/KING Coilovers (shocks recently rebuilt by Harley at ORE)
*Replaced EVO Tire Carrier bump stops, (originals had hardened and disintegrating)

The reason for all of the attention to the front end was an inability to turn the wheels while at a dead stop. No death wobble or shimmy, just couldn't turn the damn steering wheel while not in motion. Didn't matter what the ambient temperature was. Didn't matter whether the Jeep was cold or hot. Both the steering box and the electric pump had already been replaced by the dealer twice, as well as software updates. Figured I may as well get rid of the aluminum knuckles and upgrade my BJs while I was at it.

Another thing… Mounting the Nittos to bead locks was a completely different experience than mounting the Coops. Couldn't believe how fast it went.

Came out of the whole experience with only two major wounds. Lol.

IMG_3831.jpeg

IMG_3837.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Holy hell!! Sounds like a heck of a busy but fun 3 weeks and congrats on getting away with just 2 major wounds LOL :ROFLMAO:

Jeep is looking amazing!! I so wish we could have gotten a mojito (y)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

*Reid Racing Knuckles
*Dynatrac HD Ball Joints
*Brake Pads Front/Rear
*Replaced EVO Tire Carrier bump stops, (originals had hardened and disintegrating)

The reason for all of the attention to the front end was an inability to turn the wheels while at a dead stop. No death wobble or shimmy, just couldn't turn the damn steering wheel while not in motion. Didn't matter what the ambient temperature was. Didn't matter whether the Jeep was cold or hot. Both the steering box and the electric pump had already been replaced by the dealer twice, as well as software updates. Figured I may as well get rid of the aluminum knuckles and upgrade my BJs while I was at it.

Another thing… Mounting the Nittos to bead locks was a completely different experience than mounting the Coops. Couldn't believe how fast it went.

View attachment 393508

View attachment 393509
Yeah yeah yeah jeep looks fine but where the fuck are the pizza pictures?

WJCO

Meme King

*Reid Racing Knuckles
*Dynatrac HD Ball Joints
*Brake Pads Front/Rear

View attachment 393508

View attachment 393509
Love the rear sticker, too.

onlyone

*Reid Racing Knuckles
*Dynatrac HD Ball Joints
*Brake Pads Front/Rear

View attachment 393508

View attachment 393509
Beautiful! Been a while great to see you around again! Always loved that color. Glad you got all your steering woes taken care of.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Holy hell!! Sounds like a heck of a busy but fun 3 weeks and congrats on getting away with just 2 major wounds LOL :ROFLMAO:

Jeep is looking amazing!! I so wish we could have gotten a mojito (y)
Yeah, love Mojito. First time I saw it was your video at SEMA in 2017 or 2018. Or least I think it was a SEMA video?

Yeah yeah yeah jeep looks fine but where the fuck are the pizza pictures?
The dog ate my homework.
IMG_3844.jpeg

Love the rear sticker, too.
Sticker was complements of my daughter. 😅 What's neat is that this is the vehicle she learned to drive in when she was 12. Now she's looking at colleges. 😳

Beautiful! Been a while great to see you around again! Always loved that color. Glad you got all your steering woes taken care of.
Thanks! This is the first jeep I've ever driven with Ram Assist. Wish I would've done it sooner, but the install always seemed intimidating. As it turns out with the proper tools, attention to detail and patience it wasn't difficult at all.

Well, two weeks ago I ordered a rear driveshaft from my local shop. Same guy who built my front driveshaft, does really good work. Picked it up today, removed the stock shaft and drove down to my gear guys to have them install the diff yoke because I didn’t want to destroy the crush sleeve. They go to put it on and, bam, wrong yoke; too small and not enough splines. 😡 So was forced to take apart the OEM shaft and thoroughly clean it, nasty job. Going to lube the shaft up and reinstall. 😔
image.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, two weeks ago I ordered a rear driveshaft from my local shop. Same guy who built my front driveshaft, does really good work. Picked it up today, removed the stock shaft and drove down to my gear guys to have them install the diff yoke because I didn’t want to destroy the crush sleeve. They go to put it on and, bam, wrong yoke; too small and not enough splines. 😡 So was forced to take apart the OEM shaft and thoroughly clean it, nasty job. Going to lube the shaft up and reinstall. 😔
View attachment 393655
Well that sucks. Sorry to hear it and hope you're able to get this fixed soon.

Top Bottom