What Kind of Brake Upgrades Have You Done?

I have an 01 TJ with a dana 30 front axle.

I want to upgrade to either the Currie 44 or Dynatrac 44 hopefully soon.

What kind of brakes have you upgraded to and how do you like them?

I know Wilwood has a kit, but you have to use YJ knuckles and I'm not sure they're as strong as TJ knuckles.

Does anyone have experience with the Vanco kit?

What do you use it for? The 30 in a tj can take a lot of abuse, with better shafts and joints even more. I’m guessing a used rubicon 44 would be cheaper than a whole new axle.
If you’re going to upgrade why not tons? I can lock all my 35” tires with stock brakes so I never upgraded. I do have discs on the rear that helps a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I want to use it for trails like the Rubicon, Gold mountain in big bear. Not too hard-core stuff. I want to be comfortable doing a trail like john bull. I guess my faith in the 30 is not too high. Mainly with R&P size. I forgot to mention it has a currie 9" in the rear and I have 35s on it right now. I eventually want to run beadlocks and 37s. It has a 3 inch short arm lift with body mount spacers. But, the way it is right now, it hasn't let me down.

Sent from my SM-N975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

tjeeper

I have a HP30, Warn hubs with chromoly shafts, ARB and a Vanco BBK. Most people think the limits of this axle is 35s. If you want to go to 37s, I suggest looking into some sort of Dana 44.

sisdale

Vanco Big Brake Kit with Blck Majic pads. Im running 35's on a super dana 30. Been wheeling and rock crawling for years on that set up. The breaks are top notch.

Top Bottom