What is needed to run a winch

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Alright guys, i have a winch on order and have been thinking. Do i need to have some type of spod to run the winch? Would i be fine just connecting it straight to the battery, or would that cause it to die? Would the battery last? Or would i have to leave it unplugged until the time arrises for me to use it?

Napalm

Alright guys, i have a winch on order and have been thinking. Do i need to have some type of spod to run the winch? Would i be fine just connecting it straight to the battery, or would that cause it to die? Would the battery last? Or would i have to leave it unplugged until the time arrises for me to use it?

I left mine unplugged until it was needed for use. I originally had it connected at all times, but I found that my battery terminals were getting lose. I'd hook it up when I went off pavement and never had any issues that way.

RockyJk

Winches are usually wired straight to the battery, it won't kill your battery. They don't use power when not being used so no need to unplug it [emoji106]

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
To run a winch all you need is a winch and a jeep with a battery to connect it to. You don't need some pos spod or some diy spod. You don't need to have a kill switch hooked up to it or disconnect it from the battery when your daily driving it.

Armydog

Actually all you need is a winch and a battery. I have a little portable 100lb old ass warn that I chain to a tree and use to pull other trees out to cut them up...... So technically, no jeep required. But I know that was not the point of this post, I was just bored and felt like posting something dumb. Thank you for your support

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Can't believe no one mentioned this, but I added a circuit breaker in between the battery and the winch. I didn't want to fuse it in case I blew the fuse out on the trail. The circuit breaker works just like your house and flips off if the amperage spikes. Just a little safety measure I like to have.

WJCO

Meme King
Any spot I've needed it, I've just left the Jeep at idle. My winch spots have been short enough to not cause a huge drag on the battery. I just tell my wife to keep an eye on the volt gauge and battery light.

Top Bottom