What Impact Driver Are You Using?

Do you ever wonder how you had the patience for all those bolts with hand tools only?

Like you, I did everything by hand until a few years ago. Now I hate doing anything without the right power tool.

I still use mostly hand tools. Just what I’m used too. Big bots I’ll use the bog impact but that’s about it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I still use air tools a lot because I already owned them before the battery powered stuff was any good. I have a bunch of the cheap Ryobi ones my wife keeps getting me for Christmas. I even have duplicates of some because they were in sets. Still use hand tools for the most part though. Especially when assembling. I just need to feel how tight bolts are for some reason. Power tools for tear down and hand tools for assembly. If I had to start over the Milwaukee stuff seems the best fit battery powered tools. I am jealous of them every time I use someone else’s.

I can tell I’m headed down the wrong path. I bought Kobalt impacts because they use the same batteries as all my other stuff...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Consensus is the Fuel M18 brushless. I bought the 1/2" a few years ago and wondered why in the hell it took me so long to get one. The batteries last forever and tools take a beating. They have a really nice family of tools to go long with the impact too.

Appreciate you and all the other WAL's. I decided to just pull the trigger since everyone says it is worth every penny. Plus with everything I need to do on my baby, anything that'll make it easier seems like a good investment. There are some fluff pieces I wanted for the Jeep I can always make up for later. Thanks again.

I have the DeWalt 20v 1/2” high torque model. I originally got it to do crush sleeves after my corded craftsman died. I use it mostly for lug nuts and skid plate bolts now. It has no trouble with those. Like some others in this thread, i still mostly use hand tools because oftentimes there’s no room for anything else. I also hate stripping threads.

Once you’ve bought into one brand’s battery system, you pretty much have to stick with that brand. Now I have a Dewalt cordless drill and a grinder/cutoff. I carry all three tools, with three 5 amp batteries, on the trail.

Air tools if you’re on a budget. I use a dewalt 20v 1/4 impact driver for most everything on the Jeep (socket adapters) and can still use it around the house with other bits. For the big shit grab the 1/2” air impact. That’s the one complaint I have about the cordless impacts, they’re too damn big and bulky and often can’t fit where I want them air impact is far more compact.

I still use mostly hand tools. Just what I’m used too. Big bots I’ll use the bog impact but that’s about it.

I have never had any power/air tools so this is all new to me. I just don't have as much time as I used to and I watch Eddie just knocking out upgrades and replacements with those Milwaukee set like nothing.

I still use air tools a lot because I already owned them before the battery powered stuff was any good. I have a bunch of the cheap Ryobi ones my wife keeps getting me for Christmas. I even have duplicates of some because they were in sets. Still use hand tools for the most part though. Especially when assembling. I just need to feel how tight bolts are for some reason. Power tools for tear down and hand tools for assembly. If I had to start over the Milwaukee stuff seems the best fit battery powered tools. I am jealous of them every time I use someone else’s.

Yeah I don't mind using them for tear down but I also feel the same about feeling things when I assemble. I mostly wanted to power stuff to make taking apart faster, so I went ahead and bought it this morning. I don't have any power/air tools so I figured if I was going to go in for them I wanted to make sure I started off right. Consensus was Milwaukee, so that is where I went.

I have the DeWalt 20v 1/2” high torque model. I originally got it to do crush sleeves after my corded craftsman died. I use it mostly for lug nuts and skid plate bolts now. It has no trouble with those. Like some others in this thread, i still mostly use hand tools because oftentimes there’s no room for anything else. I also hate stripping threads.

Once you’ve bought into one brand’s battery system, you pretty much have to stick with that brand. Now I have a Dewalt cordless drill and a grinder/cutoff. I carry all three tools, with three 5 amp batteries, on the trail.

Me, as well. Started with Dewalt, now locked in. I have everything, up to and including 1", drive, air, as well.
I would like to try Milwaukee stuff, some time to compare.

I have multiple milwaukee tools including 1/2" high torque, 1/4" impact and other ones. Its very nice to just be able to put the inpact on and go. Like others have said buy once cry once. When i did the motor swap on mine both of those tools got used extensively. And made my life easier when it came to getting things done efficiently.. especially since i had tl swap the upper oil pan from motor to motor. They are low torque bolts so the 1/4" made quick work loosening all of the bolts off and tightening them(to just hand tight. Both the impacts have torque limit settings this helps a lot when you want to just snug bolts up them torque by hand.

I also use both the high torque and mid torque at work and there's quite a bit of difference between the two in my opinion.

Air tools if you’re on a budget. I use a dewalt 20v 1/4 impact driver for most everything on the Jeep (socket adapters) and can still use it around the house with other bits. For the big shit grab the 1/2” air impact. That’s the one complaint I have about the cordless impacts, they’re too damn big and bulky and often can’t fit where I want them air impact is far more compact.

I agree that the 1/2" Milwaukee is big, but I have an assortment of extensions, some with the angled ends, and the better wobble adapters. I was able to reach 90% of bolts on my engine swap that way.
Even the upper bell housing bolts, with about 3' of extension and a couple of wobbles.

Yeah I don't mind using them for tear down but I also feel the same about feeling things when I assemble. I mostly wanted to power stuff to make taking apart faster, so I went ahead and bought it this morning. I don't have any power/air tools so I figured if I was going to go in for them I wanted to make sure I started off right. Consensus was Milwaukee, so that is where I went.

With practice and experience, you learn how hard the tool is hitting.
I will hit things with the torque wrench to check, and most times I get less than 1/8 turn to click. If you click before it turns, you ha e overtightened, so practice stopping the impact soon enough to be close.

While not fool proof, it is a real time saver, especially for trail repairs.

Keep in mind, an impact gun, either air or electric, does not make max torque right away. It hits a point, then ramps up the longer you hold the trigger, as more blows make higher torque.

There are some good testing videos on YouTube that graph the torque to the amount of time. When you understand the relationship, you can get the most out of your tools, without twisting every bolt.

The great thing about the 1/4" impact driver, in my opinion, is that it maxes out under 26 ft lbs. You can use it on small bolts without fear of over tightening, but still doing final torque with a torque wrench.

I’ve got the 450 ft-lb Milwaukee impact M18 and wish I would have spent a little more on the big dog. Good impact just struggles breaking loose anything over about 90 ft-lbs

I'm in the DeWalt club too... I carry my impact, grinder, drill, and work light and a few 5AH batteries with me on big trips.

I bought a DeWalt 14v drill over 20 years ago & it lasted until about 2016, the drill was still great but the batteries were all shot & it costs almost more for batteries than tools so I changed over to the 20v stuff.

I think Milwaukee battery stuff has greatly improved since my last set, I had a big 18v combo kit from about 2004 or so that was a Christmas bonus from my boss. Everything worked but nothing in the kit worked as well as my DeWalt stuff, most of it didn't feel ergonomic in the hand and the batteries for that kit died before my DeWalt 14v's did.

From working in shops and being a carpenter I can say this, every brand has a few tools they make better than everyone else and a few that are worse. The main reason I get brand loyal to battery powered stuff is only because the added cost of different batteries and chargers makes it not worth while to have multiple brands.

I agree that the 1/2" Milwaukee is big, but I have an assortment of extensions, some with the angled ends, and the better wobble adapters. I was able to reach 90% of bolts on my engine swap that way.
Even the upper bell housing bolts, with about 3' of extension and a couple of wobbles.

Things are always doable, just extra work, Also- you ever have 5 extensions and a socket accidentally pop off the bolt while you're going full ugga dugga on your back contorted to reach something and get smacked by it? I prefer the simpler solutions, less wrenches get thrown.

I went and looked at mine. I have the brushless 3/8" 2754 which is rated for 210ft/lbs. It really nice, but not ideal for lug nuts and big stuff.

The 1/2" I have is the "mid-torque" brushless 2861 rated for 600ft/lbs.

I use the 3/8 for most everything unless it can't do the job and I grab the 1/2".

I had an older M28 volt 1/2" drive that was so huge it wasn't fun to use- gave that away to family. They're getting away from M28 stuff anyway.

Pass on the M12 stuff, they're weak sauce. Only good for 8 and 10mm little bolts.

All Photos - 1 of 1.jpg

Last edited:
I have the DCF899B from dewalt and so far anytime I’ve used it I’ve broke the bolt.

Assuming I’m more the problem and get trigger happy than anything.

I have the DCF899B from dewalt and so far anytime I’ve used it I’ve broke the bolt.

Assuming I’m more the problem and get trigger happy than anything.

It has three settings. Try 1 or 2 before going to three... 🤷🏻*♂️

Top Bottom