Wave from Half Moon Bay, CA!

tengland

Hey, folks, new member here from Half Moon Bay. Loving this forum!

Here's a pic of me and daughter this weekend on the "easy" portion of the Rubicon Trail. Slowly working up the guts to do the whole thing :rock:

IMG_3763.jpg

Welcome to WAL from Oakley! We were up in that area this weekend as well but on a different trail. What part of the Rubicon did you do?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the welcome, Speedy! We originally planned on doing Ellis Peak, but when we got to the trailhead it was gated shut. We were very bummed but then decided to hit the trailhead of Rubicon East, from the Tahoma staging area. We made it as far as Miller Lake before it got too crazy for us -- lots of deep, rutted mud and snow, wide swaths of fast-running water, and we couldn't tell where the trail even resumed on the other side. So we ended up turning around. It was our first time wheeling in the Tahoe area and it was a ton of fun even though we had to turn around. I now have a major itch to attempt the whole Rubicon East half of the trail but not sure how much trouble my stock hard rock with 32" KM2's will do.

I'd love to hear what trails you did this weekend to give me some more ideas!

Thanks for the welcome, Speedy! We originally planned on doing Ellis Peak, but when we got to the trailhead it was gated shut. We were very bummed but then decided to hit the trailhead of Rubicon East, from the Tahoma staging area. We made it as far as Miller Lake before it got too crazy for us -- lots of deep, rutted mud and snow, wide swaths of fast-running water, and we couldn't tell where the trail even resumed on the other side. So we ended up turning around. It was our first time wheeling in the Tahoe area and it was a ton of fun even though we had to turn around. I now have a major itch to attempt the whole Rubicon East half of the trail but not sure how much trouble my stock hard rock with 32" KM2's will do.

I'd love to hear what trails you did this weekend to give me some more ideas!

I was wondering how much snow is still up that way. Sounded like the trail is fully runnable now though. You'd be surprised what your jeep can do in stock form. It kinda boils down to how much of your skids and sliders you're comfortable using. Some people can't stomach hearing the sound and bail out.

We did the Hell Hole Reservoir trail which is a little Northwest of Loon Lake.

It's tough for where we live since it's a pretty good haul to get to the trails in the Sierras but there's plenty to be had. Need to find some coastal trails as well.

If you're looking for people to run with, post up on the destinations thread and see if anyone wants to tag along.

I was wondering how much snow is still up that way. Sounded like the trail is fully runnable now though. You'd be surprised what your jeep can do in stock form. It kinda boils down to how much of your skids and sliders you're comfortable using. Some people can't stomach hearing the sound and bail out.

We did the Hell Hole Reservoir trail which is a little Northwest of Loon Lake.

It's tough for where we live since it's a pretty good haul to get to the trails in the Sierras but there's plenty to be had. Need to find some coastal trails as well.

If you're looking for people to run with, post up on the destinations thread and see if anyone wants to tag along.

Yes, I'm sure the trail is fully runnable for someone with a bit more experience. In our case, the trail got progressively worse the further in we got and just decided to play it safe since this was our first time there.

It's weird but this is my first jeep, bought it brand new almost a year ago, and yet I have no problems hearing the nasty scraping and grinding of either the wheels or the underbelly. I do worry a bit about breaking something underneath I wouldn't know how to repair myself though (transmission cooling line which is unprotected, an axle, etc). But the noises themselves? Bring it on!

Funny, I was just reading about Hell Hole Reservoir. Not sure if it was on this forum or just general reading but now you've made me want to go back and find it.

And thanks for the tip about posting on the destinations thread. I will be keeping my eye on that. The one thing I notice a lot, not only on the various forums but also on the Easter Jeep Safari and other such things is that 33" tires seems to be required minimums for a lot of group runs. I can't imagine that the extra half inch over my 32's would make a meaningful difference but it does intimidate.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion Speedy!

Top Bottom