Wave from Arizona

Dustbowl

New to jeeps and off-road. Picked up a 99 TJ with an auto and the 2.5 four banger. Can't complain it was dirt cheap and I figured it was a good classroom on wheels. Not having the other 2 cylinders makes me really think about what I'm getting into and the line I want to take so I think it's making me a better off-road driver. Right now the Jeep knows more than me. When that's not the case maybe I'll get something better. The Jeep was bone stock when I got it. But doing the work myself (classroom on wheels) I've put a 2.5 lift on it, a SYE and Tom Woods rear drive shaft. Poison Spider front and rear rock-brawler bumpers along with Poison Spider ricochet rockers. The rear seat was removed and a Tuffy lock box was put in to store all of the tools, recovery items, and spare parts. I mounted T-rails on top of it with sliding tie down rings to secure the ice chest and a 72 hour survival pack. The hi-lift is also mounted on top of the lock box. Painless wiring and rocker switches for the KC beams on the window pillars and KC fogs on the front bumper. The Garmin GPS was hard wired with the painless wiring kit (no GPS batteries to vibrate loose) and a Cobra CB was installed in a Tuffy lockable overhead console. Installed a Warn 8000M winch and Currie Enterprises Anti Rock sway bar up front. For now it sits on stock rims and tires but as the tires wear out I'll go a little bit taller and wider. Not to extreme... It's a four banger after all. Did the ZJ steering conversion and I'm happy with it vice the stock TJ set up. Next items in the garage are a skid-row skid plate and new soft top. Just need some time to do it. BY FAR the worst job I've done so far is taking out the dash to replace a leaky heater core... That has to be one of the dirtiest/most difficult jobs to do on a Jeep. Bottom line I'm enjoying every minute working on it and taking it off-road. I'm learning a lot.

Last edited:
Welcome to WayaLife from Scottsdale!!! You found a great forum to get info on those mod projects in the future. Good luck on those next projects.

Arizona JKU

Welcome to wayalife!!! Look at my thread on up coming trips. Going to do some trails off table masa rd.:rock:

JeepJeep75

Welcome to WAL. Sounds like your jeep is ready to hit some serious trails already. Let's see some pics. [emoji112][emoji106]

Dustbowl

I mostly run the washes and trails around Yuma and the Imperial Valley. I'll be moving up to the White Mountains of Arizona in a couple of years so then it will be forest trails. I've concentrated on recovery and protection for now but I'm starting to do the research on tires, wheels, and axles. Starting with zero knowledge so I have a lot to learn especially about tire/wheel size and the gear ratios that would all come together and work with a 2.5 4 cyl automatic. Looks like the WAL vendors will be getting some support as I continue to slowly build this TJ.

WJCO

Meme King
I mostly run the washes and trails around Yuma and the Imperial Valley. I'll be moving up to the White Mountains of Arizona in a couple of years so then it will be forest trails. I've concentrated on recovery and protection for now but I'm starting to do the research on tires, wheels, and axles. Starting with zero knowledge so I have a lot to learn especially about tire/wheel size and the gear ratios that would all come together and work with a 2.5 4 cyl automatic. Looks like the WAL vendors will be getting some support as I continue to slowly build this TJ.

I used to live in Yuma. Miles of desert out there to play in.

TheFunSmith

Welcome to WAL! There are a group of us on here that makes weekly runs, and if you have any interest in joining us, shoot me a PM. Hope to see you on the trails!

Top Bottom