Water slushing behind dash

Bryan__howell

Every time I start my jeep and start to drive, it sounds like water is rushing through the jeep. It may have something to do with my heater core but I'm not sure. I'm also having coolant leaks, and my temp gauge is fluctuating. When I turn on my heater, the heat goes in and out. I'm replacing my thermostat with a fail safe one tomorrow. I'm hoping that this is a thermostat issue and not a heater core one. I'm not sure what the heater core does, or is, but it sounds expensive. Anyone have any tips or experience with this?

You have an air pocket in your cooling system that needs to be burped out.
Remove your radiator cap, turn your heater to full hot and start your engine. Let it run for a bit until it is up to normal temp so the thermostat opens fully. This should fix it.

Bryan__howell

I tried that about a week ago but when I removed the cap and blasted the heat, to burp it, coolant started shooting up uncontrollably and splashing everywhere

toxicwaste29

Mine makes a water rushing sound from the heater core when I start it. I have no issues with the temp gauge fluctuating or uneven cabin heat so I haven't messed with mine.

ArmyofMike

Probably still an air bubble in the line. The heater core is a bit higher than the radiator so it takes time to get as much fo the bubble out as possible. Start with Motor cool when you open the radiator cap, then turn on heater and let it all warm up...it can take several minutes. Then slowly start adding the coolant. Also, make sure your overflow has some coolant in it also. You have to go slow. I've even squeezed the radiator hoses a bit to help push fluid through them...and it is very messy.

Take your time. I hope it goes away. You don't want to overheat your engine/heads!

Flyboy88

I had the same issue after having my radiator replaced. The air ended up bleeding out on its own.

Wolf Man

You have an air pocket in your cooling system that needs to be burped out.
Remove your radiator cap, turn your heater to full hot and start your engine. Let it run for a bit until it is up to normal temp so the thermostat opens fully. This should fix it.

X2 on this, plus elevate the front while doing this!
That will help to purge the air out.

JeepJeep75

My brand new 2015 JKUR has done this since I started driving it at 26 miles in mid January. It now has 735 miles on it and still does it only once, on the first rev in the morning, every morning. No temp issues at all.

FastZach

My dads 14 did it when it was brand new.. Jacked the front up started the engine and turned the heat up. Waited for it to get hot and it started bubbling like crazy. You will lose some coolant so just be ready to top it when you're done. Hasn't done it since?

Wolf Man

My dads 14 did it when it was brand new.. Jacked the front up started the engine and turned the heat up. Waited for it to get hot and it started bubbling like crazy. You will lose some coolant so just be ready to top it when you're done. Hasn't done it since?

^This is the correct way to Burp the system!!!!! Many of us have had this issue, so yes it is a common problem!

Also make sure that your coolant is being draw-ed back into the radiator when cooling down. There should be less in your overflow bottle, when it has cooled down. If it doesn't do this, then you probably have a defective radiator cap, or a coolant leak.

Make sure when adding make up coolant, that you use the correct one. HOAT for the 2012 and prior, and OAT for the 2013 through 2015.
The two are not compatible!!!:naw:

Coolant.jpg

^The one on the left is HOAT, the right is OAT!

Yeep

My 2014 has done this since I first picked it up.... I took it in to the dealer once and they said they couldn't hear it.....

Haven't had any overheating issues or anything yet and it seems to not be happening as often anymore (about 6k miles now)

Wolf Man

My 2014 has done this since I first picked it up.... I took it in to the dealer once and they said they couldn't hear it.....

Haven't had any overheating issues or anything yet and it seems to not be happening as often anymore (about 6k miles now)

In time, most will bleed themselves out. But if it bothers you, then just Burp it, per the prior Posts!:thumb:

While some air in the cooling system, isn't the optimum, that doesn't mean that it will overheat. In most cases it won't.

haboo1968

Every time I start my jeep and start to drive, it sounds like water is rushing through the jeep. It may have something to do with my heater core but I'm not sure.
I'm also having coolant leaks, and my temp gauge is fluctuating. When I turn on my heater, the heat goes in and out. I'm replacing my thermostat with a fail safe one tomorrow. I'm hoping that this is a thermostat issue and not a heater core one. I'm not sure what the heater core does, or is, but it sounds expensive. Anyone have any tips or experience with this?

You described the same issues I was having.
Is it leaking on passenger side floorboard?
Are you getting more heat on passenger side vents then the driver side?

If yes to the answers above, I would say yes to the heater core is shot. And yes to its a mofo to replace.. just did mine this summer. All I can say about that is, "what were they thinking."

RMC2

Caught the Bug
My 13 had the gurgling issue too. It is a design problem with the 3.6. Didn't have the flucuating heat problem though. I burmped mine on an incline. Don 't remember if it went away right away, but it did and hasnt came back.

The heater core is a little radiator in your dash (passenger side near floorboard) in the air ducts. It flows engine coolant through it when you call for heat and your blower blows the air through it. Usually a huge pain to replace in any vehicle.

Top Bottom