Was my alignment done properly?

Whiskeyjack

Hey guys.

I changed my lift from 6" (at purchase) to 4", then just recently to 2.5". Since then I've replaced my front adjustable trackbar twice, tie rod, drag link, and added adjustable front upper and lower control arms, drive shafts, basically everything underneath the Jeep beyond the frame and the actual axles themselves. I've never had the Jeep aligned, ever.

I eyeballed my control arms and tie rod as best I could, but I didn't use an angle finder or anything to make sure my alignment was good. I know I could easily have adjusted my toe-in, but figured I'd let them adjust everything on the rack since they'd be in there anyway.

I picked up the Jeep today, paid my $100, and left. Now I'm looking at the report and it seems like everything was in spec except the toe-in. I just find it highly unlikely that my alignment was near perfect, so I figured I'd ask those here with experience if my report looks good/normal.

Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210621_143505.jpg
    20210621_143505.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 35

Whiskeyjack

If what you're seeing now is good, I would just crack open a beer and be happy :)
I guess my issue is I'm not sure if I'm reading these numbers properly, and that they've adjusted everything as well as they could have.

A couple concerns I have:
  1. The front-left Camber is -0.4*, which is in the stated range of -0.6* and 0.1*. But the front-right is -1.0*, which is outside of the same range by a respectable amount. But given that Camber isn't adjustable on a solid axle, I'm not sure if that's wrong, or if there's even anything for me to do about it.

2. The tech put a comment on my alignment report that says "Vehicle does not have control arms it has solid axle suspension". That makes me think they didn't even touch my adjustable control arms. My left caster is 3.7*, and my right is 4.2*, which were left alone. Should these be even, or is it normal to have a variance?

You're doing too much math for a jeep, its not a sports car. And unless you specifically told them to do something else, which for $100 I can pretty much guarantee you did not, you got a basic front end alignment and a rear check, they didn't touch your arms or your caster etc. They just did the normal jeep alignment which is likely something you already had dialed in with a tape measure. Take it to real 4x4 shop if you want your aftermarket arms adjusted and caster angle etc set.
Back to the jeep side of things- if its not wandering, darting, death wobbling, or trying to change lanes when you hit a bump and drives down the street straight, you're doing pretty good 👍

Whiskeyjack

You're doing too much math for a jeep, its not a sports car. And unless you specifically told them to do something else, which for $100 I can pretty much guarantee you did not, you got a basic front end alignment and a rear check, they didn't touch your arms or your caster etc. They just did the normal jeep alignment which is likely something you already had dialed in with a tape measure. Take it to real 4x4 shop if you want your aftermarket arms adjusted and caster angle etc set.
Back to the jeep side of things- if its not wandering, darting, death wobbling, or trying to change lanes when you hit a bump and drives down the street straight, you're doing pretty good 👍
Fair enough, thanks for the comment. I've had some pretty annoying steering issues in the recent past, so I'm trying to make sure everything is dialed in properly so I don't cause damage to any of my new components over time. I figured getting a pro to look at it would give me peace of mind, and now I feel like an idiot for paying $100 for nothing. Oh well, such is life.

JT@623

Hooked
Fair enough, thanks for the comment. I've had some pretty annoying steering issues in the recent past, so I'm trying to make sure everything is dialed in properly so I don't cause damage to any of my new components over time. I figured getting a pro to look at it would give me peace of mind, and now I feel like an idiot for paying $100 for nothing. Oh well, such is life.
If I had every $100 dollars I’ve blown on a Jeep I could retire 🤣

Top Bottom