Volkswagen To Release An All Electric International Scout??

Slaphitter

VW is heavily committed to electrification, so no surprise that a future vehicle like that would be electric. So is the new, re-launched VW bus, after all. VWs are generally very well-built cars, so this might be nice as a mall crawler, or even for day-trip off-roading where a 300-400 mile range is good enough. The torque will be fantastic. Just no good for multi-day trips to places with no charging infrastructure.

VW is heavily committed to electrification, so no surprise that a future vehicle like that would be electric. So is the new, re-launched VW bus, after all. VWs are generally very well-built cars, so this might be nice as a mall crawler, or even for day-trip off-roading where a 300-400 mile range is good enough. The torque will be fantastic. Just no good for multi-day trips to places with no charging infrastructure.
If you are overlanding, can't you just use solar blankets? Especially if you do not plan to return for a week or two?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You know, there was a time when the only option for something like a good impact wrench was air tools. In fact, installing compressors and small air tanks on Jeeps or carrying CO2 bottles became a thing because of it. And then, one day, batteries started to become really good and small and light and powerful and could charge up fast and all of a sudden, cordless tools became the new thing. Why? BECAUSE IT WAS ACTUALLY BETTER and consumers wanted BETTER - NOT because of government bullshit being forced down our throats.

Last edited:

GP NOIR

Hooked
Volkswagen’s roots are in electric vehicles. Ferdinand Porsche was an electrical engineer and his first cars were front wheel drive, hub driven electric with a diesel generator. He raced his cars.

What caught my eye, was VW introducing a new International Scout. That seemed an odd connection. I had no idea International, through a series of complicated acquisitions, was owned by VW.

GP NOIR

Hooked
You know, there was a time when the only option for something like a good impact wrench was air tools. In fact, installing compressors and small air tanks on Jeeps or carrying CO2 bottles became a thing because of it. And then, one day, batteries started to become really good and small and light and all of a sudden, cordless tools became the new thing. Why? BECAUSE IT WAS ACTUALLY BETTER and consumers wanted BETTER - NOT because of government bullshit being forced down our throats.
As a long time aviation technician, I’ve been using air tools for more decades than I care to think about. All my tools were pneumatic. Battery tools couldn’t keep up and were considered unsafe because an electrical spark might set off fuel fumes.

Now, I’m using a battery operated drill motor/screw gun for a lot of my work because I don’t have to lug an airline behind me.

While batteries have their own ecological issues, technology has come a long way and there’s no denying the convenience.

Spazbyt

Hooked
Let VW die already. What does the brand even have anymore? It's not its emissions track record. It's definitely not its rich storied history. The Bettle was the pinnacle of their vehicle designs... Twice!
Seems to me like they are beating a dead horse at this point.

duktrx

I question whether or not VW has the know-how to pull this off. VW doesn't know how to deal with torque; the automatic transmissions they have married to both their VR-6 and TDI motors have been garbage. My wife drives a VW Beetle; anything plastic on the interior is brittle as fuck; the entire lower dash, including the glove box, just fell off one day when she went over a speed bump. The same thing happened to my parent's Passat; after the emissions scandal, when VW offered to buy back their car, they jumped at the opportunity and bought a Grand Cherokee. Between the VR6 Jetta and the TDI beetle, my wife is on her third transmission in 120,000 miles. Fortunately, two have been covered under the factory warranty.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
You know, there was a time when the only option for something like a good impact wrench was air tools. In fact, installing compressors and small air tanks on Jeeps or carrying CO2 bottles became a thing because of it. And then, one day, batteries started to become really good and small and light and powerful and could charge up fast and all of a sudden, cordless tools became the new thing. Why? BECAUSE IT WAS ACTUALLY BETTER and consumers wanted BETTER - NOT because of government bullshit being forced down our throats.

Amen Eddie!

The market should determine what is available for the consumer, not the Gov. That’s my main issue with EV’s- it’s all being driven by Gov and not based off of what individuals actually wish to purchase. If EV’s followed the same evolutionary path of battery powered tools the consumer would be much better off. When an EV can transport me in a superior manner than my ICE vehicles then I might choose to buy one, but not because I am forced to.

In addition its Un-American for the Gov to push this shit down our throats as they are. Our ancestors started a war with the most powerful country on the face of the earth over a few cents of tax on a breakfast beverage- our forefathers are rolling in their graves over how much of our self-determination we have surrendered.

Slaphitter

Let VW die already. What does the brand even have anymore? It's not its emissions track record. It's definitely not its rich storied history. The Bettle was the pinnacle of their vehicle designs... Twice!
Seems to me like they are beating a dead horse at this point.
Die? They are the 2nd largest automaker in the world. In the US they don’t get a lot of traction, but they are a behemoth globally. They just IPOed Porsche. They can barely keep up with global demand for VWs and all their other brands.

Fun fact: one of their largest part SKUs isn’t even a part. It’s currywurst! They feed so much currywurst to the factory workers in Germany, that they operate their own sausage factory right onsite in Wolfsburg. Have done since the 70’s. VW Currywurst isn’t allowed in the US because of stupid FDA red tape, but in Europe you can buy it in supermarkets. When you buy a VW, many dealers give you a package of currywurst at delivery!

I dunno, you guys can get emotional about the politics of electric cars if you want, but any car brand that makes sausage and gives it an SKU in the parts catalogue is just fine with me. Because mmmmm, sausageeeeee….. :D

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Die? They are the 2nd largest automaker in the world. In the US they don’t get a lot of traction, but they are a behemoth globally. They just IPOed Porsche. They can barely keep up with global demand for VWs and all their other brands.

Fun fact: one of their largest part SKUs isn’t even a part. It’s currywurst! They feed so much currywurst to the factory workers in Germany, that they operate their own sausage factory right onsite in Wolfsburg. Have done since the 70’s. VW Currywurst isn’t allowed in the US because of stupid FDA red tape, but in Europe you can buy it in supermarkets. When you buy a VW, many dealers give you a package of currywurst at delivery!

I dunno, you guys can get emotional about the politics of electric cars if you want, but any car brand that makes sausage and gives it an SKU in the parts catalogue is just fine with me. Because mmmmm, sausageeeeee….. :D
fag

1677192098657.gif

Spazbyt

Hooked

Well, you changed my mind. They sell the most cars outside the country I live in and you get free sausages with purchase.

Top Bottom