VIDEO : TRADITION - A Rubicon Trail Adventure in Our Jeep JL Wrangler

DMF

That really sucks for Jet Li to get ding up like that but after watching the way you restore Calamity Jane, that repair is like a little scratch for a guy like you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Loved the video Cindy and Eddie! Thanks so much for all your time spent inspiring! I cant wait to get on the Rubicon one of these days and meet you and other WAL members :)

Glad you liked the video and I do hope we can meet on something like the Rubicon someday. :yup:

Such a blast! Thank you for having us out on this trip! Ray and I watched it on the big screen at dinner. Loved reliving the Rubicon with this awesome video!
You know, I had no idea your steering stabilizer took such a beating until this video, holy heck it was wrecked! Ray said he wasn’t sure how you guys were steering. Thanks again for an amazing time and all the laughs!
Beep! 🤪🤣

LOL!! No lie, the last couple of miles into camp was a bitch to steer. I could tell something was wrong but figured, I could steer enough to just deal with it at camp. :crazyeyes:

So glad that the two of you were finally able to join us for this run. We had a blast with you guys and hope to do it again soon.

BEEP!! :crazyeyes:

Great video...I'm bummed I couldn't do the Con this year...but will definitely do it again next year.

Soooo...when are the XD60's and 40's going on?

LOL!! They're coming but we'd like to push the factory axles as far as we can first.

Hopefully you'll be able to join us out there next year.

Love it! You guys are pretty dam good at trail repairs.

LOL!! We've had a lot of experience doing it :crazyeyes:

Thank you for the video. Sucks to see you got body damage. That’s the exact same spot I snapped my rear right side axle this past August.

Yeah, we've seen a lot of carnage there in the past as well but this year was different. We'd been hearing from people coming in the opposite direction that it was tougher this year but didn't know why till we got there. In the past, there was only 2 big boulders that you really had to deal with but this time around, there was a 3rd that had moved into the trail. If I were willing to do more body damage, I'm pretty sure I could have cleared it but going around was just as easy.

Thanks for sharing your adventure, good friends and fun trip! You are blessed. Loved how you left the "bad" parts in too.

LOL!! Glad to hear you enjoyed the "bad" parts too :yup:

Love the video, Now more then ever I want to run Rubicon, (it is on my bucket list and was the number one reason, I really wanted a JEEP, even back in the 80's. ).

It's definitely a must for any Jeeper. Get out there :thumb:

Great video as usual. I am planning to run the Rubicon next June, looks like a great experience.

June is a great time to be out on the Rubicon. Typically more challenging too :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video. It’s always good to see the rubicon trail. It’s definitely on my list of trails to do with the family.

Oh yeah, it's always great to see the Rubicon but really, it'd just be another trail without family and friends.

Eddie, how does the new steering system on the JL handle the 37’s in the rocks? Obviously probably not as well as hydro but is it an improvement over the JK at all?

Honestly, it does surprisingly well. The electric steering is no hydro assist but it does help out a lot.

Really enjoyed this video. Looked like JET Li handled the trail well in spite of taking a few hits.

Thanks, glad you liked it and yes, JET Li did a great job on it :yup:

Just started watching it. Loving it so far! As if there was a chance I wouldn't :)

Quick question. Those pucks under the rings you put on the back of Jet Lei for your cargo net. Are those delrin or what are they? Also which hardware store did you get them at? I have a home made deck we made for our JKU and I've been using robber grommets that I bored out to fit the factory bolts but they are wearing out. Your polymer pucks seem like a better solution.

What you're looking at are nylon washers. I got mine at Lowes Hardware but you can get them at any good hardware store with a specialty drawer section. ACE, TrueValue and Tractor Supply typically have them.

That really sucks for Jet Li to get ding up like that but after watching the way you restore Calamity Jane, that repair is like a little scratch for a guy like you.

LOL!! If the hit were anywhere else, I might have taken it on but the door frame is a complicated fix or to do well and so we just used our local body shop to take care of it. JET Li is good as new again.

Can’t get enough of watching the video. Certainly missed out on an amazing time but glad I get to at least live it through video. Next year is already blocked out so I’m free to make the run if you’ll have us. Glad to see everyone made it off the trail without any major issues.

jdofmemi

I thoroughly enjoyed this!

I have been looking forward to the video every since the teaser post of all the Jeeps lined up ready to go a few months back.

The video really brought back the recent memory of my trips, and was a great documentation of the trail.

The damages and repairs are a key to any trip and I love seeing them in video. I like to learn how different problems get addressed and add to the ways to overcome trail troubles. I believe that is an essential skill for any four wheeler.

I was fortunate to get to do the Rubicon two times this year, first with family and my first friend I made when I moved to California. That was the first for both of us.
I then got to go again with the great Wayalife members just two weeks later.

Both trips were great, and I can't wait to go back. I was amazed how much the trail changed in the two weeks between trips, so I am even more excited to go again to see what is next, and explore even more.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Man what an awesome video!! Felt like I was there on the adventure. I can’t wait to run a trail with all of you guys! It was hard to watch jet li get his first scar. But What an awesome few days of wheeling. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

A.J.

Great video! I think you guys stayed at the same hotel we did in August! Awesome time! It was the trip when Ed had fuel pump trouble. Man I am so ready to go again!

Clutch

Caught the Bug
After watching again, this video is great. Enjoyed seeing all the difference models, the repairs, and the scenery. Right up there with Heart & Soul!

OldNavyChief

One of your best yet!

Of all the trails that Cindy and I love to run, the Rubicon is one of our favorites and one that we always try to hit at least once a year. You could say, it's a tradition of ours and one that we enjoy more for its breath taking scenery and the good times we always have with our good friends than anything. Sure, it's an iconic trail best known for it's epic wheeling but for us, that's always just been icing on the cake. Of course, this tradition is one that transcends all Jeep models and while the era of the JK has finally come to an end, there was no way that we were going to let it die there.

In this feature length, WAYALIFE Epic Trex Adventure video, you'll get to see us take on the Rubicon Trail for the very first time in JET Li, our brand new Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. As you'll see, we took him out running a Dynatrac 2" EndruoSport lift, 37x13.50 Cooper STT Pros mounted on KMC XD231 bead lock wheels and a set of LoD Signature Series rock sliders and front bumper for added protection. And, joining us for all the fun were our good friends Rachel and Ray in their cooperhead 4-door JK Rubicon running EVO bolt-on coilsovers and 37" Trail Grapplers, Ben in his white 2-door JK Rubicon running 35" STT Pros, Adam in his dozer 2-door JK Sport running 37" Trail Grapplers, Moochie in his silver 4-door JK Rubicon running bolt-on coil overs and 37" Toyo MT's and last but not least, Doug (aka Trail Bud) and his friend Bob in their white 4-door JK Rubicon running gen 1 EVO coilovers and massive 40x15.50 Toyo MT's.

At almost an hour in length, this video is one of our longer ones and you'll want to make sure that you set aside some time to watch it. We hope enjoy our presentation. :cool:

BUY a HITCH STINGER: https://www.wayalife.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=PARTS-HITCH-STINGER
BUY a CB BAR: https://www.wayalife.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=PARTS-CB-BAR
BUY a SPIDERWEB SUNSHADE: https://amzn.to/2NsGJbt
BUY a MAVIC AIR DRONE: https://amzn.to/2CO26iq

WIN WAYALIFE SHOTGLASSES
If you'd like to WIN a pair of WAYALIFE shot glasses, simply post up a response on this thread and let us know what you thought of our video. A random WINNER will be selected and announced next week. Thanks for watching. :cool:

Loved this video, makes me want to drop what I'm doing and head to the Rubicon. Great job, thanks.

Awesome video of a great trip. It’s amazing to see what you guys can do to capture the fun and adventure of it. We just ran the Rubicon in August and it was great to see how you documented a trail I’ve run. We even stayed in the same spot at Rubicon Springs.
I learn something every time I watch one of your videos, I’m for sure adding bailing wire to my trail kit along with extra u joint nuts. Oh and those little shot glasses are going along next time too [emoji1360].
How much air were you running in the Coopers, it looks like you might have been a little higher than you usually run, for the height maybe?
Great stuff! Thanks for all the work to put it together.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

GTJeeper

Looks like a super fun trip! Seeing a two door on 35’s make it shows me I’ve got a decent shot haha. The video was great and the trail repair parts were interesting as others said. Gives a good sense of things that have a chance to fail and the methods you guys used to fix them. I’ll have to add a BFH to my trail kit lol

chubbynupta

Tradition.

Great video. I really enjoyed the segment featuring the repairs of the steering stabilizer and the rear track bar etc. Showed tons of ingenuity and self reliance. Good things to have in the middle of nowhere. Looks like Cindy is added a drone to her arsenal. DJI Mavic Air?
Sucks about the body damage.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Another great production! Watched it once on my phone and again last night on the tv. Thank you to Eddie, Cindy and the Wayalife gang for sharing your adventures!

Slavens

Caught the Bug
Joy and i watched last night .. Honestly the video was great but they always are. I really enjoyed seeing Doug out there smiling and breaking shit of course.. because that's what Trailbreak does.. haha! I had to pinky promise last night we will be out there soon with you guys.

See you kids soon!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can’t get enough of watching the video. Certainly missed out on an amazing time but glad I get to at least live it through video. Next year is already blocked out so I’m free to make the run if you’ll have us. Glad to see everyone made it off the trail without any major issues.

Actually, Trail Bud had a few other issues as soon as we got off the trail but we were able to get him home. Also, next year is just around the corner. :cool:

Hell yeah! I’m traveling for work will check this out tonight

Awesome, I hope you enjoyed it :)

I thoroughly enjoyed this!

I have been looking forward to the video every since the teaser post of all the Jeeps lined up ready to go a few months back.

The video really brought back the recent memory of my trips, and was a great documentation of the trail.

The damages and repairs are a key to any trip and I love seeing them in video. I like to learn how different problems get addressed and add to the ways to overcome trail troubles. I believe that is an essential skill for any four wheeler.

I was fortunate to get to do the Rubicon two times this year, first with family and my first friend I made when I moved to California. That was the first for both of us.
I then got to go again with the great Wayalife members just two weeks later.

Both trips were great, and I can't wait to go back. I was amazed how much the trail changed in the two weeks between trips, so I am even more excited to go again to see what is next, and explore even more.

Awesome that you were able to experience the Rubicon for yourself. :thumb:

Awesome! I hope to do the Rubicon someday!

It really is a must for every Jeeper :yup:

Awsome video guys, sucks you got body damage. I hope to do the Rubicon next year. Thanks for sharing.

eh, it's all good and the damage is already fixed :yup:

Man what an awesome video!! Felt like I was there on the adventure. I can’t wait to run a trail with all of you guys! It was hard to watch jet li get his first scar. But What an awesome few days of wheeling. [emoji106]

Thank you, we're so glad that we were able to bring you along for the fun if only through our video :)

Great video! I think you guys stayed at the same hotel we did in August! Awesome time! It was the trip when Ed had fuel pump trouble. Man I am so ready to go again!

Thanks! Glad you liked it :)

After watching again, this video is great. Enjoyed seeing all the difference models, the repairs, and the scenery. Right up there with Heart & Soul!

Thank you. We're glad you could enjoy it even a second time around :cool:

Top Bottom