VIDEO : RUGGED RIDGE AmFib SNORKEL Install - Jeep JL Wrangler / JT Gladiator Truck

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As any self-respecting overlander knows, you need a snorkel to complete a good overland build and when Rugged Ridge first debuted their AmFib Snorkel for the Jeep JL Wrangler and JT Gladiator Truck at the 2018 SEMA Show, everyone and their mother wanted to get their hands on one. Why you might ask? Well, unlike most snorkel kits, the AmFib requires no cutting of the hood or of any body panel for that matter and it requires very little modification to get it installed. Also, Rugged Ridge designed the AmFib to be installed in two different configurations, as a Low Mount cowl intake that looks totally factory and as a High Mount intake that gives it a traditional snorkel look that most people are familiar with. In this video, you'll see just how quick and easy it is to get one on your JL Wrangler or JT Gladiator.

Oh, and because I know it's coming, yes, I know what the 3rd rubber fitting under the air box is for. I just had a brain fart :crazyeyes:

BUY a NEW WAYALIFE Hoodie: https://bit.ly/2NkJ5rn

See More Pics of the Rugged Ridge AmFib Snorkel Installed:
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...-JL-Wrangler-JT-Gladiator-Truck-AmFib-SNORKEL

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
• AmFib Low/High Mount Snorkel System #17756.31
• 8, 10mm Socket
• Torx Bit T-20, T-30, T-40
• 4mm Allen Wrench
• 3/8" Wrench
• Flathead Screwdriver
• Phillips Screwdriver
• Ratchet
• Ratchet Extension
• Drill
• Unibit
• Dremel w/Cutoff Wheel
• Utility Knife
• RTV

TOOLS YOU MAY WANT TO BUY
Milwaukee Drill : https://amzn.to/3a227wz
Milwaukee Ratchet : https://amzn.to/2RaT7MT
Dremel : https://amzn.to/37X3Cdx
Tekton Bit Set : https://bit.ly/2t9gFcY
Unibit : https://amzn.to/37ZZglT

20200112125026-7d367391-me.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Looks like a fairly easy install. Good thing you got it done before the weather moves in. Looks like you guys will be getting some snow.

Oh, that’s the most I’ve heard you say nipple in one sitting.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Great video coverage of all the steps. I don't see our JT leaving pavement, but if we get a JL, we may have to install one of these to tackle the Colorado puddles

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a fairly easy install. Good thing you got it done before the weather moves in. Looks like you guys will be getting some snow.

Oh, that’s the most I’ve heard you say nipple in one sitting.

LOL!! :cheesy:

Yeah, needed to get this one done before the big storm this week. Hell, it was still cold out though but not as cold as it's gonna get :crazyeyes:

Great video coverage of all the steps. I don't see our JT leaving pavement, but if we get a JL, we may have to install one of these to tackle the Colorado puddles

Thanks! As you can see, it's a super easy install.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Pretty solid kit. The low mount looks really good. The extension is cool too... if you need it...

Speaking of extension.... have you considered:

platform.jpg

:D

sunnysideup

I have the rugged ridge snorkel on my Jk… I love it for 2 reasons... I can hit puddles fast without worry when they surprise me, and in high dust driving it seems like the higher air intake helps the filter to not get so much dust! Ok maybe there is a third... when little kids come ask me at the gas station if I can drive underwater...

Looks like a well thought out product!

jeeeep

Hooked
Rugged Ridge thought that out well, easy install!

I say easy until I actually do it with my 2 left hands LOL

I like the low mount location and the fact no cutting on anything important. Did you really need to remove the lower factory intake or could it have stayed in? Great video.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Great video of the install, and I definitely want one of those snorkels.

How is the sound? Any major wind noise? What about the intake itself, does it significantly change the sound under throttle?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Great install video! Looks super simple to do.

I second what sharkey is asking, hows the wind noise with the high mount? Throttle noise change?

jorgelrod

Hooked
I have the rugged ridge snorkel on my Jk… I love it for 2 reasons... I can hit puddles fast without worry when they surprise me, and in high dust driving it seems like the higher air intake helps the filter to not get so much dust! Ok maybe there is a third... when little kids come ask me at the gas station if I can drive underwater...

Looks like a well thought out product!

I gotta say, I got the AEV one on my JK when I was in PR thinking about not having to worry when I forded rivers down there, but I must say, it really shined on the Windrock run last October, it was dusty AF and my filter was pretty clean after the run.

That JT keeps getting better and better with every upgrade Eddie!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rugged Ridge thought that out well, easy install!

I say easy until I actually do it with my 2 left hands LOL

:cheesy: Honestly, it really was just as easy an install as you see in the video :yup:

I like the low mount location and the fact no cutting on anything important. Did you really need to remove the lower factory intake or could it have stayed in? Great video.

Yes. If you leave it in place, the drain port would make contact with it and prevent the air box seating fully in place. However, I question the need for the drain and if you don't install it, you can leave the ambient air tube in place.

Great video of the install, and I definitely want one of those snorkels.

How is the sound? Any major wind noise? What about the intake itself, does it significantly change the sound under throttle?

We're currently testing it out with the low mount and so far, I can't say that I hear any real difference. Certainly no wind noise. Give me a bit more time and I'll ask Cindy what she thinks or just ride more in the passenger seat to get a better idea.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great install video! Looks super simple to do.

I second what sharkey is asking, hows the wind noise with the high mount? Throttle noise change?

Haven't really tested the high mount so let me do that and I'll revisit this :yup:

Awesome video install - thank you for sharing!

Thanks! Glad you liked it :)

I gotta say, I got the AEV one on my JK when I was in PR thinking about not having to worry when I forded rivers down there, but I must say, it really shined on the Windrock run last October, it was dusty AF and my filter was pretty clean after the run.

That JT keeps getting better and better with every upgrade Eddie!

LOL - thanks :)

wjtstudios

Hooked
It is a well thought thru system. It is great to be able to swap between the two different heights. The only additional piece that would help it would be the cyclone pre filter which does make a big difference on the amount of dust the Jeep ingests. But I do agree, the radar dome look isn’t the best.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It is a well thought thru system. It is great to be able to swap between the two different heights. The only additional piece that would help it would be the cyclone pre filter which does make a big difference on the amount of dust the Jeep ingests. But I do agree, the radar dome look isn’t the best.

LOL at radar dome! I always called it a food processor. They work for sure but they do look silly.

Top Bottom