VIDEO : Ohlins Shocks - Are They as Good as They Look?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for this video! Might actually be a better option for me than bolt on coilovers 👍
If you're okay with a standard coil setup, there really is a big advantage to these and that's, they really do perform great AND, when it comes time to having them serviced, you can just bolt on a set of Ranchos or the like and keep on using your Jeep while you're working on them or have them sent off to a shop to have them done.
Great video and review! I was also excited to see this and from the looks of it, they didn't disappoint. Great to see another well known, quality company jump into the Jeep world and give us another option to consider. Being Ohlins, I would have expected a higher price point but definitely think they are marked competitively well which is awesome!
I'm actually surprised at how affordable they are or at least, when compared to other options of a similar size.
That was a good review.

I really like the two-way adjustable damping system, something I wish I could easily do with the coil overs, but I'd be repainting them lol

Gold-Finish-Grills-Set-Eight-8-Top-Teeth-Six-6-Bottom-Tooth-Plain-Hip-Hop-Grills.jpg
LOL - too funny. And yes, the dedicated rebound adjustment is really nice to have. I don't think people realize how much of a difference it can make in a ride.

benatc1

Hooked
Awesome video, looks like they are pretty bad ass, I don’t think the price point is that bad for all the features, but like anything that is high quality it comes with a cost. Great review, looking fwd to seeing more

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Great video review! They definitely can perform and was glad to see they are competitively priced too. The scenery in the video was amazing too. 👍

Breer

Caught the Bug
Great video with lots of great information! Really enjoyed watching! Just the look of that wash board road was jarring enough. Reminded me of your New Year's Run video!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was a little disappointed there was no bobble head Hula girl in this video, but a great review nonetheless.
LOL - totally forgot about that! Missed opportunity :ROFLMAO:
Great video, I’m going to need you to buy a Harley and do the same. 😉.
Not gonna lie, I can totally see why Ohlins has the fan following that they do.
Awesome video, looks like they are pretty bad ass, I don’t think the price point is that bad for all the features, but like anything that is high quality it comes with a cost. Great review, looking fwd to seeing more
It's funny to me how many people get all upset at the cost. Seems like the price point is right in there with the competition for a shock of this size and design.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video review! They definitely can perform and was glad to see they are competitively priced too. The scenery in the video was amazing too. 👍
Glad you enjoyed the review and it is nice that scenery like this isn't that hard to come by up here. Helps makes it easy to do our job 😁
Very cool. Looks like a quality shock with a lot of on car adjustability.
What I really like about them is that unlike most shocks of this caliber, they don't come with basic preset settings. They really do allow you to make all your adjustments yourself - compression and rebound.
Great video with lots of great information! Really enjoyed watching! Just the look of that wash board road was jarring enough. Reminded me of your New Year's Run video!
LOL - the washboards are bad but the side by side chop is what really sucks. Fortunately, these shocks did surprisingly well on them.

kevman65

Hooked
What I really like about them is that unlike most shocks of this caliber, they don't come with basic preset settings. They really do allow you to make all your adjustments yourself - compression and rebound.
What they don't tell you out in the open, you can change the oil weight in the shocks and it will change the range of the shock.

But that gets into the nitty gritty and is stuff usually done in race set ups.

kevman65

Hooked
Hey Eddie! How’s the finish of them holding up? Do they scratch easily? Any signs of rust?
Had a pair hanging on the back of my ZRX 1200 motorcycle, also had a set of their upside down forks on the front.

The anodizing holds up great. Having rode through many thunderstorms with them on, no tarnishing whatsoever.
Like anything else, they will scratch. But with what they are and where they are, anything will get scratched up eventually.

LOL - totally forgot about that! Missed opportunity :ROFLMAO:

Not gonna lie, I can totally see why Ohlins has the fan following that they do.

It's funny to me how many people get all upset at the cost. Seems like the price point is right in there with the competition for a shock of this size and design.
Putting $4k of shocks on an $80k+ vehicle seems way out of line! $400 (or less) is more reasonable.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Resistance is futile :ROFLMAO:

Great video...I thought I was keeping mine stock...
LOL - it really doesn't take much to run 37's. You can pretty much do that stock but a smaller 2" lift will help clear things better and will still have a more stock like feel. At that height, you also have a lot more shock options available to you.

Brute

Hooked
LOL - it really doesn't take much to run 37's. You can pretty much do that stock but a smaller 2" lift will help clear things better and will still have a more stock like feel. At that height, you also have a lot more shock options available to you.
My wife said not to do anything that would require her to work at getting into the jeep...but two inches?...maybe I won't tell her

1996cc

@wayoflife do you have the compressed and extended measurements? They don’t list them on the Ohlins site. It also looks like they have 2 part numbers- I’m guessing stock height an a lifted height???

Top Bottom