VIDEO : KC Flex ERA 4 Combo Lights

Why Jay

Whoops.
I do it all the time. Thankfully no issues yet. I’ll try and remember to turn off the ambers now.
I did too. Then someone said it's not good, so a quick note to KC customer support confirmed it was not recommended.

I'm surprised actually. I'm no electrical engineer, but what could possibly go wrong?

Heheh... "What could possibly go wrong?"... Famous last words. :oops:

I did too. Then someone said it's not good, so a quick note to KC customer support confirmed it was not recommended.

I'm surprised actually. I'm no electrical engineer, but what could possibly go wrong?

Heheh... "What could possibly go wrong?"... Famous last words. :oops:
Only thing I can guess without having a set in front of me and taking them apart is heat soak. Perhaps even Amp load on the shared ground wire?

I have a lot of free time today.... so here ya guys go,
Get any Standard 5 pin relay like this https://www.amazon.com/BLARYETI-Aut...in+12v+relay+and+socket&qid=1637517139&sr=8-6

Cut the 12v+ wire to the amber lights and tap into the 12v+ for the white lights as a trigger. There's other ways to do it but this is the simplest in my opinion.

100.jpg

Why Jay

Only thing I can guess without having a set in front of me and taking them apart is heat soak. Perhaps even Amp load on the shared ground wire?

I have a lot of free time today.... so here ya guys go,
Get any Standard 5 pin relay like this https://www.amazon.com/BLARYETI-Aut...in+12v+relay+and+socket&qid=1637517139&sr=8-6

Cut the 12v+ wire to the amber lights and tap into the 12v+ for the white lights as a trigger. There's other ways to do it but this is the simplest in my opinion.

View attachment 369026
Bookmarking this one! Thank you!!!

DaveW

Question for anyone that hooked these up to a factory auxiliary switch. Did you keep an inline fuse on the power line going to the auxiliary switch? Or are you relying on the fuse that is part of the auxiliary switch? I'm new to all of this, so appreciate the advice here. I hooked up the main lights to a 40 amp switch and the amber backlight to a 15 amp switch. I cut out the relay and inline fuses that were part of the harness. Not good?
Did u get any reply lol as i would like to know too

RCC

I’ve been running the amber and whites together and no issues yet. I guess I need to look at separating them if it damages the lights.

FC209C9D-CC74-4E91-960D-F34E0678C365.jpeg

I’ve been running the amber and whites together and no issues yet. I guess I need to look at separating them if it damages the lights.
I’ve yet to see an actual reason why they can’t, wouldn’t surprise me at all if they’re fine.

Honestly can’t remember how I found out, but the answer is YES, keep the inline fuse there because the lights want to pop at 25 amps not 40.
or just exchange the fuse to the correct size… why would you want extra crap

RCC

I’ve yet to see an actual reason why they can’t, wouldn’t surprise me at all if they’re fine.

or just exchange the fuse to the correct size… why would you want extra crap

Mine have been used a lot, we did a lot of early morning runs in Big Bend and I use pretty every time the we are out at night on the roads.

Why Jay

According to KC support, it can damage the LEDs. That's what they tole me, claiming that's why they come with a rocker switch that ensures they aren't on at the same time.

But I have to agree that they should be fine. I'll let someone else give it a run and let us know the outcome. :p

TrailHunter

Hooked
Hey Eddie, I think I’m ready to pull the trigger on the FlexEra 4’s... I’m going to mount them on the top of my EVO bumper.. Just wanted to see if you were still happy with these?.. and if combo is the way to go vs Spot? Thx

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie, I think I’m ready to pull the trigger on the FlexEra 4’s... I’m going to mount them on the top of my EVO bumper.. Just wanted to see if you were still happy with these?.. and if combo is the way to go vs Spot? Thx
Yes, I am extremely happy with them and more times than not, they're the only thing I use anymore. On the kick off run, I Harley had her Gravity Pro 6 light bar on and then I pulled up beside her and turned on just the ERA 4 lights and there was a very visible difference. Enough so that she said she wanted what I had.

Combo is the way to go for sure if you're only running 2 lights. If you can afford 4, I would get 2 spots for the center of your bumper and then 2 combos on the outside. OR, I would run spots on the a-pillars as they will produce less hood glare (not that it matters on a black hood) and then combos on the bumper.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Yes, I am extremely happy with them and more times than not, they're the only thing I use anymore. On the kick off run, I Harley had her Gravity Pro 6 light bar on and then I pulled up beside her and turned on just the ERA 4 lights and there was a very visible difference. Enough so that she said she wanted what I had.

Combo is the way to go for sure if you're only running 2 lights. If you can afford 4, I would get 2 spots for the center of your bumper and then 2 combos on the outside. OR, I would run spots on the a-pillars as they will produce less hood glare (not that it matters on a black hood) and then combos on the bumper.
Roger That... Thank You!

benatc1

Hooked

I’ve been tossing the idea of the gravity 6 bar or 2 spots on the A pillar, I have combos on the bumpers. Sounds like a better investment for the spots.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been tossing the idea of the gravity 6 bar or 2 spots on the A pillar, I have combos on the bumpers. Sounds like a better investment for the spots.
Man, there's no two ways about it. The ERA 4 lights put out way more light, good clean white light and in a beam pattern that I really like. Like I stated above, I would totally run just 2 combos over a Gravity Pro 6 light bar any day of the week.

Top Bottom