VIDEO : A Random Point on a Paper Map

J&k_Overland

What a awesome video. Brings back memories of me and my army buddy running around the mountains outside Ft Carson with maps and a prayer. So much fun. That is a epic spot and I will have to find it with my buddy out in Victorville.

Thank you for sharing. Great video. I prefer maps. Better overall view. Good to explore and stumble upon things. Beautiful sight you and your Dad found.

Lost In The Woods

Caught the Bug
Great video! Phones, tablets, Google, and apps are great and I use them all the time but as a forester and GIS analyst, I LOVE my paper maps! The older, the better. When my wife and I were dating we would head out for the weekend with some basic camping gear and a couple of paper maps.

JAGS

Hooked
One hell of a video. Reminds me how you inspired me to get my first jeep. While I have far less, if any, time to explore these days, I certainly look forward to hitting the trails and discovering more.

Great video, When Ripley squeaked her toy it woke up my dog Cooper. He has a hippo and a pig that sound the same. He had to go check all his toys were still there .
I am so glad I was born in the 70's and was outside as a kid all the time exploring anything and everything. No cell phones / internet. Heck we used to get in trouble because we were never home.

WJCO

Meme King
Great video. Like you, I have many memories of special spots that were found with family simply starting with a paper map. It's really cool. Exploring areas like that is what got me into Jeeps; just to get away from it all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What the fuck is a map?
:ROFLMAO:
Great video. How far did you have to hike before you got to that place? What a thrill that must have been finding that with your dad.
It's about a mile hike one way.
Right on Eddie. Still plan and take my maps with me on every trip. Love camping but there's always room for a hotel stay too! Merry Christmas!!
Glad you enjoyed the video and yes, we're always happy to relax in a hotel too. Merry Christmas to you and your family 🎅
This was awesome. Great to see you guys getting back to your roots. A couple years back I had a gentleman from the Utah BLM come through one of my classes. After he saw my Jeep we got to talking and the next day he brought a bunch of older BLM route maps for me to check out. Y’all just gave me some great ideas.
The old BLM quad maps are some of the best you can get. Awesome.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That had to be the best mileage that you’ve got in a long time, on a long trip like that…My dad used to, and still does have a ton of maps, it’s still how he travels. I clearly remember going through them for the fun of it when I was younger. He had almost Delorme state/gazetteer map among many others…Good stuff as always, beautiful location
LOL - crazy good mpg and thank god for it too. With gas prices as high as they are in California, we were glad to keep fill ups to a minimal. Very cool that you got to pour though old school maps as a kid too.
You could be a great Geology Teacher if this Jeeping thing doesn't work out for you. Lol... Cool Stuff. (y)
LOL - glad you enjoyed the video. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What a awesome video. Brings back memories of me and my army buddy running around the mountains outside Ft Carson with maps and a prayer. So much fun. That is a epic spot and I will have to find it with my buddy out in Victorville.
Very cool and glad you enjoyed the video :)
Thank you for sharing. Great video. I prefer maps. Better overall view. Good to explore and stumble upon things. Beautiful sight you and your Dad found.
Glad we could share this with you and happy to hear you enjoyed the video.
Great video! Phones, tablets, Google, and apps are great and I use them all the time but as a forester and GIS analyst, I LOVE my paper maps! The older, the better. When my wife and I were dating we would head out for the weekend with some basic camping gear and a couple of paper maps.
Very cool and happy to hear you enjoyed watching our video. :cool:
One hell of a video. Reminds me how you inspired me to get my first jeep. While I have far less, if any, time to explore these days, I certainly look forward to hitting the trails and discovering more.
LOL - long time no see! Glad you enjoyed the video. (y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video, When Ripley squeaked her toy it woke up my dog Cooper. He has a hippo and a pig that sound the same. He had to go check all his toys were still there .
I am so glad I was born in the 70's and was outside as a kid all the time exploring anything and everything. No cell phones / internet. Heck we used to get in trouble because we were never home.
LOL - too funny! And yes, growing up outside is probably the single best thing that we got from growing up before the internet.
Great video. Like you, I have many memories of special spots that were found with family simply starting with a paper map. It's really cool. Exploring areas like that is what got me into Jeeps; just to get away from it all.
Thank you and yes, this is what got us into Jeeping as well... to get away from it all! (y)

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
I LOVE your videos! I watch a ton of YouTube content and your videos are definitely among the best produced and most entertaining.
My dad was our Scout Master growing up; so he taught me and nearly everyone I grew up with orienteering. He passed away last July and it was nice thinking about learning this from him while watching your video. Thanks for producing these for all of us to enjoy!

benatc1

Hooked
LOL - crazy good mpg and thank god for it too. With gas prices as high as they are in California, we were glad to keep fill ups to a minimal. Very cool that you got to pour though old school maps as a kid too.

LOL - glad you enjoyed the video. :)
I think I paid 4.95 when I filled up the other day in Tracy, its really crazy right now

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I miss the good ole days of paper maps and Thomas guides. Awesome video, thanks for sharing 🤙
LOL - Thomas Guides were great! Glad you enjoyed the video :)
Enjoyed watching this, it ended too soon. Even with all the GPS we use for routing I find I still have to look at a real map to make sense of locations we visit. Thanks
Happy to hear you enjoyed our video.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I LOVE your videos! I watch a ton of YouTube content and your videos are definitely among the best produced and most entertaining.
My dad was our Scout Master growing up; so he taught me and nearly everyone I grew up with orienteering. He passed away last July and it was nice thinking about learning this from him while watching your video. Thanks for producing these for all of us to enjoy!
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. Glad that we were able to bring some good memories to you through our video.
I think I paid 4.95 when I filled up the other day in Tracy, its really crazy right now
Yeah, that's just nuts. I've been thinking that the $3.45 I just paid in Carson City was too high.

CalSgt

Hooked
Great video as always, I keep a few USFS maps for my local areas with my gear but haven't really needed them in some time.

But WTF was that plant? A Mojave watermelon?

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Looks like a great time! The excitement of following the map to see where it leads is what really makes the trip. I’m definitely going to have to try it sometime but with a back up GPS. lol Awesome part was you were able to get some hiking in there as well. Beautiful views for sure. 👍

Brute

Hooked
I grew up reading maps, even for just hwy driving long before cell phones and gps…

I now use gps just to find the bathroom, and don’t know my wife’s phone number…isn’t technology great?

Bear_JT

Hooked
This was a great video. Looking back now, paper map times definitely were easier even though it didn’t seem like.

Top Bottom