Value - Manual vs Auto

LazyGreek

From holding its value, is a manual TJ the way to go? And any negatives for the Auto box ? I’m considering to add a TJ. Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you think you're going to sell it in the future, auto is the only way to go. If you're planning on keeping it for fun and long term, I would get a manual and one that is on a 2000 or newer TJ as it will have the NV3550 instead of the old AX15

Sgt_USMC

For the auto it depends on the year. I have an 06 with the 42rle and it is annoying, but not a deal breaker. O/D ratio is horrible and I tend to turn it off on surface streets so it isn’t hunting for gears all the time. If you are planning to go bigger than 33s you will want a rubicon unless you can afford new axles. The only way to go biggier than 35s is new axles as far as I know. There are other things to keep in mind with TJs as well. OPDA, TUPY heads and possible PCM issues. All three issues are in the later years IIRC.

CalSgt

Hooked
Kind of a side topic but - Isn't the "rubi-crawler" gear doubler something that can be done with the TJ auto trans too?

I've never seen one but thought that seemed like a cool upgrade for a TJ, would be like having a 4 speed TC

Sgt_USMC

Ive been told I can do a rubi crawler, but the rubicon already has a 4:1 tcase. Unless you’re doing a dedicated crawler I personally don’t see a need for that. Now if it doesn’t have the 4:1 case, then I would do that for sure.

JT@623

Hooked
Just bought an 05 TJ Rubicon with the manual so far I’ve replaced the PCM $1200 the catalytic converters $1000 all the oils OPDA $150 it only had 80K miles. I got a good deal but be prepared to fix some of the known issues. For me I wanted a manual Rubi so Dana 44’s and the 4:1 transfer case .

CalSgt

Hooked
Ive been told I can do a rubi crawler, but the rubicon already has a 4:1 tcase. Unless you’re doing a dedicated crawler I personally don’t see a need for that. Now if it doesn’t have the 4:1 case, then I would do that for sure.

The Rubicrawler makes more sense to use it with the 4:1 case, it would give you the option of 2.7:1 in addition to the 4:1, it also gives a 2WD low range as an option

With 4:1 TC and the rubicrawler
1:1
2.7:1
4:1
10.8:1

With a standard TC and the rubicrawler
1:1
2.7:1
7.29:1

I still have a '97 TJ with the old AX15. While it's not unbearable it is definitely not as great as the later 5 speed in the '00 to '06 TJ I believe. It is still a pleasure to drive but as Eddie said, auto is unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for some) the way to go for resale in the future. For fun around town or on the trail, go with a manual - preferably a later one.

Last edited:

Kuboske

I still have a '97 TJ with the old AX15. While it's not unbearable it is definitely not as great as the later 5 speed in the '00 to '06 TJ I believe.
I would get a manual and one that is on a 2000 or newer TJ as it will have the NV3550 instead of the old AX15
Actually, I have the AX15, in my YJ. And, a freshly rebuilt NV3550, in my TJ.
I rebuilt the NV3550 myself and found some parts difficult to find since it is long out of production. The AX15 can still be bought brand new, and is rated at basically the same torque.
The NV4500 is easy to find parts for as it is a long time favorite super duty trans. used in lots of high horsepower vehicles. Expensive, though.
New Venture Gear was bought out by Magna International, who also bought out Getrag. The last of the "NV" transmissions were built around 2012, I believe.

joshsierra13

I will add that I recently replaced the ax15 with an upgraded reman in my tj along with a b&m short throw and centerforce dual friction clutch and man let me tell you this thing can climb anything

Last edited by a moderator:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I will add that I recently replaced the ax15 with an upgraded reman in my tj along with a b&m short throw and centerforce dual friction clutch and man let me tell you this thing can climb anything
Stop posting hyperlinks to the same site you are trying to pimp or get lost. You’ll have to try harder than you are if you want to slip one past.

Top Bottom