V8 swap

So I sold my 392 a few months ago and now am gonna put a 6.4 hemi and 8 speed into my JK. I really think I’m gonna do it myself. Anyone have any experience with the Hotwire auto harness? Or any other one they have used?

6.4’s in JK’s present unique issues but can be done nicely. But there is a reason that the LS/LT platforms rein supreme in the V8 swap category. If your mind is made up on the Hemi, then keep doing your research and then do some more. If you’re open to a GM platform then I’d go down the Motech Rabit hole and visit WranglerJKLS on YouTube (Motechs page) Robbie gives an incredible amount of detail and information there and, most of it is useful regardless if you’re doing a GM or Hemi.

6.4’s in JK’s present unique issues but can be done nicely. But there is a reason that the LS/LT platforms rein supreme in the V8 swap category. If your mind is made up on the Hemi, then keep doing your research and then do some more. If you’re open to a GM platform then I’d go down the Motech Rabit hole and visit WranglerJKLS on YouTube (Motechs page) Robbie gives an incredible amount of detail and information there and, most of it is useful regardless if you’re doing a GM or Hemi.
I will not put an LS in my jeep. Hemi only. Nothing against GM just not in a jeep. AMW does them all the time without issue but they won’t sell me the kit to do it myself. I can get the kit from jeep speed but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with a different kit.

I will not put an LS in my jeep. Hemi only. Nothing against GM just not in a jeep. AMW does them all the time without issue but they won’t sell me the kit to do it myself. I can get the kit from jeep speed but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with a different kit.

I do want to apologize. Didn’t mean to derail this thread. There are plenty of threads on LS vs Hemi.

Hope you find the parts you’re looking for.

Post up the swap if you end up doing it yourself.

A.J.

So I sold my 392 a few months ago and now am gonna put a 6.4 hemi and 8 speed into my JK. I really think I’m gonna do it myself. Anyone have any experience with the Hotwire auto harness? Or any other one they have used?
Hotwire harness is good to go. JSS is good but sometimes a little flaky on shipping and stuff. Honestly the swap isn’t that bad. If you can remove the body I think it makes it easier but it can be done through the front w/out removing the body. I did the 5.7 in mine a few years ago. I did pull the body off and it took me a couple weeks of 1/2 days to do. Watch every video you can and print off everyone’s instructions. AEV, Dakota Customs, AMW, etc. I found little tidbits in each that were helpful.

Hotwire harness is good to go. JSS is good but sometimes a little flaky on shipping and stuff. Honestly the swap isn’t that bad. If you can remove the body I think it makes it easier but it can be done through the front w/out removing the body. I did the 5.7 in mine a few years ago. I did pull the body off and it took me a couple weeks of 1/2 days to do. Watch every video you can and print off everyone’s instructions. AEV, Dakota Customs, AMW, etc. I found little tidbits in each that were helpful.
Ya thanks for the advise. I have a full shop with 2 lifts in it at my house so pulling the body isn’t as issue. I talked to Hotwire a few times and they said there stuff is good to go. On there website it doesn’t say they have a kit for the 8 speed but they do as long as I get them a computer out of a challenger. I already found a motor and trans.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
AMW does them all the time without issue but they won’t sell me the kit to do it myself. I can get the kit from jeep speed but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with a different kit.
AMW's kit is probably your best bet for a good install but don't kid yourself, I have seen them have issues just like ANY kit out there. Just trying to keep it real and know that nothing will be issue free.

jcruse64

Not the same vehicle, but check out the last few issues of Mopar Action for swap info. The tech editor and a friend are doing a 5.7 and 6.4 swap into a couple of classic Mopars and have some good info on what they are doing/using to accomplish it successfully.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been talking to motech now and probably gonna send it to them and have a 6.2 LT and the 10 speed put in it. Seems that is the best bang for the buck for sure. Seems like the GM motors have superior technology compared to the hemi.
Awesome! I think you're gonna love it (y)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I’ve been talking to motech now and probably gonna send it to them and have a 6.2 LT and the 10 speed put in it. Seems that is the best bang for the buck for sure. Seems like the GM motors have superior technology compared to the hemi.
1700854583607.gif

So after a bunch more talking and back and forth with Motech and Jeep Speed Shop I have decided to do the swap myself in my garage and do the 6.4 hemi and 8 speed. After a lot of thinking about it I just can’t do a GM in a jeep. Jeep is also getting brand new coilovers, new seat, all new joints, and a bunch of other odds and ends to make it pretty much new again.

Top Bottom