V8 swap or move to a JL

NapSack

So, the time has come to make a big decision. I will finally be moving back to the US. I have a stock JKU that I have owned for awhile now and its got about 100k and of course some wear from bringing almost 10 years old. Well I have been saving and saving, but now I'm trying to figure out what to do. I could keep the JK and start poring money into it. Start with diffs, lift, lockers, wheels/tire, steering and prepare for the v8 swap or I could use that money to put down and JLU Rubicon or at lease one with the extreme recon package. I would probably try out the new 2.0 turbo engine or diesel (can't afford a 392).

Just curious to what you all think? Have any of you ran into a similar situation? I know this is some first world problems, but I have been saving for a long time and just trying to get all the advice I can before making a huge purchase.

O, BTW goal is to run 37s and have a reliable fun wrangler. It will be used for everything from everyday driving to camping and crawling.

Last edited:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Go test drive a JLUR or JTR and the decision will be made for you. You mention 37s. The difference between my 3.8 JKU on 37s and my new JTR on 37s is beyond night and day. You might consider the V6 with the 8 speed. It has plenty of power for 37s even with the stock 4.10s. I love driving this thing.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpeg
    IMG_0231.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 8

Kuboske

I would assume with long term ownership, the JK is paid off. For many years now?
Being debt free is the absolute best position to be in. Especially now as the global economy crashes this fall. If the JK has a good body and is a good starting platform for a build, I would build what I want. As I can.
New everything prices are completely absurd. Just read where housing has collapsed.
Most Americans have no idea where we are headed...
Just my .02.

So, the time has come to make a big decision. I will finally be moving back to the US. I have a stock JKU that I have owned for awhile now and its got about 100k and of course some wear from bringing almost 10 years old. Well I have been saving and saving, but now I'm trying to figure out what to do. I could keep the JK and start poring money into it. Start with diffs, lift, lockers, wheels/tire, steering and prepare for the v8 swap or I could use that money to put down and JLU Rubicon or at lease one with the extreme recon package. I would probably try out the new 2.0 turbo engine or diesel (can't afford a 392).

Just curious to what you all think? Have any of you ran into a similar situation? I know this is some first world problems, but I have been saving for a long time and just trying to get all the advice I can before making a huge purchase.

O, BTW goal is to run 37s and have a reliable fun wrangler. It will be used for everything from everyday driving to camping and crawling.

Considering you are looking for “reliable and 37” tires”, wayoflife hit this one on the head with the diesel JL.

I personally would build a JKU on tons with 40s and swap in a V8 when the budget allows, but that’s just what I like.

You have some good options ahead!

NapSack

I would assume with long term ownership, the JK is paid off. For many years now?
Being debt free is the absolute best position to be in. Especially now as the global economy crashes this fall. If the JK has a good body and is a good starting platform for a build, I would build what I want. As I can.
New everything prices are completely absurd. Just read where housing has collapsed.
Most Americans have no idea where we are headed...
Just my .02.

This is probably my biggest worry. Having no car payment is really nice.

This being the case, I would recommend getting a JL with a diesel. It's all you need for 37's, will get great fuel economy and will be problem free and with a warranty.
This is a good point. I like the idea of a diesel, but I might have spent to much time on Forums reading about how many issues people are having with the cooling and DFE systems. The warranty is a good point I didn't consider.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You have enough money for lift, wheels, tires, lockers, axles, and a V8 and a new model JK but you don’t have enough money for a 392? That math doesn’t add up. The money it would cost for all that plus a trade would be pretty damn close to a 392. It would certainly get you in a JL paid off.

onlyone

This is probably my biggest worry. Having no car payment is really nice.

This is a good point. I like the idea of a diesel, but I might have spent to much time on Forums reading about how many issues people are having with the cooling and DFE systems. The warranty is a good point I didn't consider.
Don’t believe everything you read.

NapSack

You have enough money for lift, wheels, tires, lockers, axles, and a V8 and a new model JK but you don’t have enough money for a 392? That math doesn’t add up. The money it would cost for all that plus a trade would be pretty damn close to a 392. It would certainly get you in a JL paid off.

Not really. 25k for engine swap, 8-10k axles (lockers included), 4k lift, 4k wheels tire. Which will bring me out close 43k give or take. The 392 start at 85k and the whole thread is because that will get me close to a JLR. Since the JL would be between 55-60k. That's why I'm asking if anyone has any experience or good points I should consider.

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Not really. 25k for engine swap, 8-10k axles (lockers included), 4k lift, 4k wheels tire. Which will bring me out close 43k give or take. The 392 start at 85k and the whole thread is because that will get me close to a JLR. Since the JL would be between 55-60k. That's why I'm asking if anyone has any experience or good points I should consider.
I think you'd be closer to 55k and Dont forget down time on the JK build... would you do any of the work yourself?

NapSack

I think you'd be closer to 55k and Dont forget down time on the JK build... would you do any of the work yourself?
Motec would be doing the swap. I'm not looking for a crazy hemi build just a good v8. Everything else I'll be doing myself. I think I have made my mind up. It seems like the JL or even JT might be a better idea.

Ddays

Hooked
A JKUR on 37's is a completely different proposition that a JLUR on 37's.
JKUR is 3-4" lift, DL flip, maybe new control arms, re-gear, track bar relocation bracket, etc.
A JLUR is a modest 2" lift. Done. The 8sp auto negates the requirement to re-gear, although you likely won't see 8th.
But that can be changed by going to a smaller and lighter 37, like the BGF KO2's. I just put a set on last week and got 8th back on the highway.

Your geography is a big deal too. If you live in a mountainous state, a JK on 37's sucks wind at the higher elevations. That 8sp on the JL makes a big difference there too.

Of course there is that V8 cold start to consider....

JT@623

Hooked
Motec would be doing the swap. I'm not looking for a crazy hemi build just a good v8. Everything else I'll be doing myself. I think I have made my mind up. It seems like the JL or even JT might be a better idea.
Motech did mine and I couldn’t be happier 6.2 LT 10 speed Atlas 2 hard core 60’s 3.5 “ lift . The quality of work and customer service was second to none . I’m just over two years on mine 10000 miles with Zero issues .

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Again, being that you're only wanting to run 37's, I can tell you from personal experience running both setups that a JL is what I would go with. This is not to say that I don't LOVE my V8 especially being that I'm running 40's, it's just that I don't think it's needed for how you will be using your Jeep.

jeeeep

Hooked
If you go the JL route, get the 3.6.

the 2.0 IMO with 37's will have a short life span, the diesel while lots of torque seems to have too many issues.

My buddy has a 2021 diesel and it has seen a lot of dealer warranty work for DEF. Last I spoke with him he was talking about trading it in for a 2022 JLU 3.6

I know nothing about DEF, can someone explain?

JT@623

Hooked
If you go the JL route, get the 3.6.

the 2.0 IMO with 37's will have a short life span, the diesel while lots of torque seems to have too many issues.

My buddy has a 2021 diesel and it has seen a lot of dealer warranty work for DEF. Last I spoke with him he was talking about trading it in for a 2022 JLU 3.6

I know nothing about DEF, can someone explain?
DEF idling is the enemy they need boost and heat to run. low rpm and low boost doesn’t clean the filter system.

Top Bottom