Upgrading my steering, Need advice.

avstec

Hey all,
I am looking at upgrading my tie rod, drag link, and track bar. I've done a bunch of reading/researching and the two companies that keep popping up are currie and synergy. I'm getting a bunch of bump steer so I was looking at doing the drag link flip and figured I might as well upgrade it all while I am at it. I guess what i am asking is there much difference between currie and synergy? and is there other companies I should be considering? Thanks all.

tgoss

Having run synergy components in the past (flipped drag link, tie rod and their ball joints) I would never recommend them to anyone. Everything wore out quickly, the joints flop around constantly and quite truthfully I think they have a shit design for clamping.

I would run the factory drag link with evo flip and dynatrac adjustment sleeve, currie hd tie rod and dynatrac ball joints. for a more than decent upgrade.

However before doing any of that, what's your current set up and have you ruled out any components that may have failed that actually need replacing?

avstec

The tie rod is on its last legs, other than that everything seems tight. I was just thinking it would be better to replace it all in one shot. Guess I need to do more research, thanks for the advice, cheers :beer:

oh ya, its a 2012 jku sahara with a 3" lift, stock steering components.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd do the flip kit and if your tie rod is shot then currie or stock - if everything else is in good shape I'd leave it alone, save your money.

I used to run an aftermarket track bar, when I installed the flip kit I put the stock track bar back on - currently running 37's, hydro assist.

matthewd5

Having run synergy components in the past (flipped drag link, tie rod and their ball joints) I would never recommend them to anyone. Everything wore out quickly, the joints flop around constantly and quite truthfully I think they have a shit design for clamping.

I would run the factory drag link with evo flip and dynatrac adjustment sleeve, currie hd tie rod and dynatrac ball joints. for a more than decent upgrade.

However before doing any of that, what's your current set up and have you ruled out any components that may have failed that actually need replacing?

Ditto on the Synergy wearing out quickly...

My Dynatrac pro rock D44 and D60 came with Synergy ball joints and they wore out quickly, I went to Dynatrac ball joints and it's been like 2 years and their fine

I'm running 37's

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I'm running ruffstuff tie rod and synergy draglink and track bar. Have synergy ball joints as well. So far no problems. But I'm around 5k on the synergy ball joints and synergy tre.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I agree regarding the balljoints, they're the biggest waste of money out there.

I think their rod ends are pretty good though, I've had mine on for quite a few miles without hydro and they've held up great.

Their tie rod and drag link does have a lot of flop that's for sure, but that's mostly the design of the bar.

I don't run either anymore, just the rod ends. I went to a straight bar design to get rid of the above instead of their goofy misalignment washers.

RKJK10

Bumpsteer is usually due to steering angles. The trackbar and the draglink needs to be parallel to each other to get rid of bumpsteer. As far as brand goes it's personal preference to me and how deep your budget is. I'm courently running synergy and don't mind it. All their joints and TRE lasted me about 50000km (4 years) I just replaced all the joints recently.. was running 37s at the time

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
I am running the Evo drag link flip which uses an oem right hand drag link. I just installed a Currie correctlync tie rod because I pretzeled the stock one. It's $350 and twice as strong as stock. The $700 one is 3x stronger, but I thought it was too expensive.

Top Bottom