Ultra 4 vs Rock bouncer

Ok so i saw this on Grubbicons thread but didnt want to muck his build thread up with it.
https://youtu.be/bbWQhqph7nk
I dont get these things really. They look out of control and dangerously unpredictable. And actually the dont look to be that good at hill climbs to me. I watched a youtube vid of Ultra 4 rigs running the same hills as the RBs, and imo they did it better, and more safely. Id be interested to hear other perspectives...

Edit: heres the link to the comparison video
https://youtu.be/5MEknHfR218

Last edited:
Ok so i saw this on Grubbicons thread but didnt want to muck his build thread up with it.
I dont get these things really. They look out of control and dangerously unpredictable. And actually the dont look to be that good at hill climbs to me. I watched a youtube vid of Ultra 4 rigs running the same hills as the RBs, and imo they did it better, and more safely. Id be interested to hear other perspectives...

I was thinking the same thing. Absolutely insane climbing though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOFswyHcvzs

Here is your difference between the rock bouncers and ultra4. Ultra4 is more organized and nicer. Rock bouncing is more drunk rednecks.

I was actually out there. As we all know pictures don't ever do anything justice. I'll say this and its just an opinion. I am and have been a big fan of bouncer, theyre wild. That's what they're designed to be. They are the drag cars of the offroad world. Ultra4 however has to keep it together longer. They're buggies are definitely capable and a lot of them can run the same stuff. But that specific hill is the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen in my life. There is a lip at the top that pops back towards the crowd. Its wild, never seen much like it and is basically straight up. But I'll say this Rock bouncer have different purposes and live in different places. Why they look different. Ultra 4 needs to carry a bit more with them if breaks happen on the trail miles away from base. At the bottom of the hill about 1000 feet away is where the trailers are parked. 1000 feet means you dont have to have it all with you. I will also argue this Ultra4 is A LOT more tuned and well designed. Bouncers are made to point and shoot and not break something, they get HUGE air dont break, roll dont break, also impressive. If you watch the videos Ultra4 vs. Bouncers Ultra4 suspension moves better and seems softer, I'll give them that. But i'll say if you watch the other videos of bouncers going up this same hill you'll see a difference in perfomance that i dont think an ultra4 could do. If i had to pick one I would run an ultra4 everyday. But ALOT of these bouncers are just built by guys in there garage ( why you see some that look like shit ) or by Essentially Offroad/Wide Open Design. After they get the rig its just got a generic tuning on the shocks and all the fine details have to be worked out by people who are garage mechanics. On the other side U4 is built by a team of really qualified people who stay with the rigs and spend more time tuning them to perform better faster, climb, whatever the goal may be.

I've tried to justify one or the other, truthfully just depends on the day, drivers ability, and which way the stars are going that day as to who will win head to head. Theres a Extreme 4x4 episode that highlights the Bouncer U4 shoot out. Worth a watch i believe it was in the 2014 season!

I was thinking the same thing. Absolutely insane climbing though
Yea ive seen that climb. That is crazy. I guess i shouldnt say they dont climb well. What i meant was it looks like the "bouncer" part just gets unpredictable. I really know nothing about these things or what sets them apart so im hoping someone on here can fill me in as to why not just build a versitile Ultra 4 style rig...

Yea ive seen that climb. That is crazy. I guess i shouldnt say they dont climb well. What i meant was it looks like the "bouncer" part just gets unpredictable. I really know nothing about these things or what sets them apart so im hoping someone on here can fill me in as to why not just build a versitile Ultra 4 style rig...

I believe I can answer part of that question. I believe its because for one there is the Southern Rock Racing Series and they are all running this style buggy. I also believe its because of price tag. Ive heard of these guys building rock bouncers for around 75k or so. I would imagine a Ultra4 buggy will cost a good bit more to build.

This is why they build bouncers. They are indestructible.

Edit: Pretty dang close to indestructible. Wont act crazy now

timmiejump.jpg

I believe the price difference is pretty. 70k for a top of the line bouncer vs. 150k+ for ultra 4 rig.

I believe the price difference is pretty. 70k for a top of the line bouncer vs. 150k+ for ultra 4 rig.

This is a pretty big part too I'd imagine, i was going to bring it up but didnt have an accurate number for a Ultra4 and didnt want to speak with false info.

This is why they build bouncers. They are indestructible.

Edit: Pretty dang close to indestructible. Wont act crazy now

View attachment 155402

Los Primos at Morris Mountain right there. That is one nasty rock slab. I know I wasnt about to try it in the Jeep because if something goes wrong it was multiple end over end rolls to the bottom. The guys that drive these buggies have some serious balls.

Yup. All though I have to say rock bouncing may seem dumb and stupid to most. But nothing like watching something with some 44s and 700hp go flying.
Oh i gurantee its fun, and you and i both know its huge in the southeast. They just seem kinda 1 dimensional to me, but hey, if you like that dimension then more power to you i guess. So really, they are home-made, point-n-shoot hill climbers?

I can see where that price point could have a huge impact. Youd think growing up in the south, id love these things... just something about them i cant get a handle on

Oh i gurantee its fun, and you and i both know its huge in the southeast. They just seem kinda 1 dimensional to me, but hey, if you like that dimension then more power to you i guess. So really, they are home-made, point-n-shoot hill climbers?

Yes, SRRS competitions rarely consist more than a start at the bottom of the hill finish line at the top.

I can see where that price point could have a huge impact. Youd think growing up in the south, id love these things... just something about them i cant get a handle on

I would like to try it. Doubt I would buy/build one. It seems like truck pulling, a shitload of power and a bit of craziness pointed strait at/up something.

Basically pretty much all are built with guys that have a shop in their back yard. For how much they break shit if they didn't do the work themselves they'd be screwed. I actually followed one around a Choccolocco Mountain last time i was there. It will definitely out do my Jeep with easy just crawling around. Its like having a buggy built for rock crawling but then you have the option to just hammer down.

Top Bottom