UD60s / Fusion 60s

Gonna revive this thread, looking for an end of 2023 update on the go to 1 tons. Hopeful to pull the trigger on a set in the spring.
Seems like bang for the buck and have them within a week the UD60s are still good but they aren't as "bullet proof" as some of the other options? but save a few grand for some great axles and parts are easy to find?
Dynatrac still taking 8 months to get a set?
My previous front runner in my mind was a Fusion 60/13 set. seems to be some of the best strength for the money, more complete than the UD60s, get them way faster than the Dynatracs, and good customer service as of 2021. people still happy with their fusions?

Being that my 2dr is a bit lighter than the 4drs i probably dont need the absolute strongest thing out there but after the V8 swap and hopefully a move to 40s soon i feel the need for the added strength and piece of mind, so if anyone has any insight to the 2023 best set of go to 1 tons im all ears.
There is absolutely no bullet proof axle out there and things will always break when you play hard enough and to be honest, most people don’t even come close to that.

UD axles are not a bad option and would work just fine for most people. They are readily available as well which is always a plus and free freight. Only “downside” is you get what you get, no customizing brackets or lengths.

Dynatracs are definitely shipping faster as I got mine within three months and that’s with them being custom. I would say my only concern now is that they are owned by Randy’s so that means Yukon parts. But you can order custom to whatever you want.

I don’t have any first hand experience with Fusions but they seem to be a good option based on what others have shared. It also sounds like that is the option you want to go with.

Currie also makes a great axle set and now has their 70 platinum series if you want to spend some money.

Any of these options will work just fine for you, even with the v8. Pick what you want and go for it.

desertrunner

There is absolutely no bullet proof axle out there and things will always break when you play hard enough and to be honest, most people don’t even come close to that.

UD axles are not a bad option and would work just fine for most people. They are readily available as well which is always a plus and free freight. Only “downside” is you get what you get, no customizing brackets or lengths.

Dynatracs are definitely shipping faster as I got mine within three months and that’s with them being custom. I would say my only concern now is that they are owned by Randy’s so that means Yukon parts. But you can order custom to whatever you want.

I don’t have any first hand experience with Fusions but they seem to be a good option based on what others have shared. It also sounds like that is the option you want to go with.

Currie also makes a great axle set and now has their 70 platinum series if you want to spend some money.

Any of these options will work just fine for you, even with the v8. Pick what you want and go for it.
appreciate the insight. While fusion is in the conversation of what i "want" truly my life with work and 2 small kids is busy and exhausting and what i "want" is a set of axles i can bolt in in a weekend then go hit Moab without fear of breaking. while breaking something is always a possibility its going to be a long time before i ever claim that i wheel "hard". I doubt ill get to the level of some of the folks on this forum but if im going to buy a set of 20K axles i want the ability to give it a shot eventually and not regret it10 years down the line of saving 4K on a set when i wouldnt have had X issue with X brand.
seems like truly i cant go wrong with any of the UD, Fusion, Currie, or DT makes it hard to pick when i pull the trigger but what ever can get me the easiest route to a bolt on set today that will last me a lifetime is what im after

Ddays

Hooked
My current axle set is Fusions and I've been very happy with them. Quality-wise they're first rate. Their customer service is great and the owner, Dan, is responsive to questions. Someone else not on your list is East Coast Gear. They share production with Fusion.

Like Disciple said, all of the ones on yours and his additional list are great choices.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
EVER.

All of the above is spot on (y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should note, I have no personal experience with Fusion but wouldn't hesitate to run a set. Currie is what I would like to run next and as you know, I've run Dynatrac in every size available and also run Dana's now. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the above.

desertrunner

I should note, I have no personal experience with Fusion but wouldn't hesitate to run a set. Currie is what I would like to run next and as you know, I've run Dynatrac in every size available and also run Dana's now. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the above.
out of curiosity, referencing an older comment of yours on this thread, when it comes to Currie why would you recommend staying away from their high pinion set?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
out of curiosity, referencing an older comment of yours on this thread, when it comes to Currie why would you recommend staying away from their high pinion set?
Because a high pinion will have your ring gear running on the coast side and that is the weak side. Even with a 3.8L, we were able to break the one in our PR60. Also, I could be wrong but I was pretty sure you could only get the high pinion with a semi-float axle and that's another BIG NO, especially with a V8. I guarantee that you WILL bend the flanges on it or worse. Trust me, I speak from personal experience here.

desertrunner

Because a high pinion will have your ring gear running on the coast side and that is the weak side. Even with a 3.8L, we were able to break the one in our PR60. Also, I could be wrong but I was pretty sure you could only get the high pinion with a semi-float axle and that's another BIG NO, especially with a V8. I guarantee that you WILL bend the flanges on it or worse. Trust me, I speak from personal experience here.
looks like they currently have 2 FF 60 sets. Their extreme 60s which is a high pinion front low pinion rear. and then a extreme stealth 60s which are both front and rear high pinion but both all being FF and the stealth is about $3500 more.
honestly for the same price as the stealth 60 currie set you could get the pro fab 10" set from Fusion

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
looks like they currently have 2 FF 60 sets. Their extreme 60s which is a high pinion front low pinion rear. and then a extreme stealth 60s which are both front and rear high pinion but both all being FF and the stealth is about $3500 more.
honestly for the same price as the stealth 60 currie set you could get the pro fab 10" set from Fusion
I should clarify that the high pinion comment I made was ONLY in regard to a rear axle.

desertrunner

I'd be curious on how the Fab 9" are as well. By no means do I need them but honestly the relative $ jump from fusions pro fab 10" vs their 60/14 set isn't a whole lot.

desertrunner

Had the chance to chat with Dan today at fusion. His recommendation for me was definitely the 60/14 bolt 40 spline over even the fab 10s. His main argument for that was just on average the fab axles require more maintenance and more cusotm parts. Great for the race applications but for the normal jeep guy more problems than they are worth.
The main thing we spent time on was which width is going to suit me best. Being that eventually I want to stretch my 2 door (being a stretched 2dr JK owner himself) he said you will never regret having the 72" wide to set up a stretch build. But being that I'm not doing it yet it will be difficult not to be stupid wide with a traditional suspension even with a 5" backspace wheel.
So kinda weighing some options with a 70" wide and like a 4.5" back space wheel on my current suspension and 38x1350 tires. Then when I do decide to do the stretch and go to 40s I'll probably need to end up getting new wheels again with more like a 3.5" backspace

Got something thinking to do but open to opinions on the 70 vs 72" wide axles knowing I'm gonna start with 38x1350 nittos and most likely 4.5" backspace trail ready beadlocks then move to a stretch and 40s

Donut707

Hey Guys
I have some very recent problems with a ProRock 60 semi float rear axle. it was installed 2 years ago ( problems really noted back in September / October ) so it only lasted 18 months. i selected a 44/60 serious performance set with 4:88 and ARB's for my build , i did it in conjunction with a Dakota customs 392 8 speed kit. I figured a 35 spline rear axle shaft and ARB could handle the hemi and 37s. Im not sure i was wrong with that assumption but here i am building a new rear axle. The first sign of failure was the ARB not engaging , so i purchased a seal kit .... well when we got it open there was 0.060 of carrier movement and 0.045 back lash... ok time to rebuild ... well long story long the carrier bearing spun and ate up the ARB and the new carrier bearing races no longer have an interference fit. I was not a fan of shaving down the carrier bearing caps and installing a new ARB and gears. So Dynatrac sold me a new housing at cost. I was out of the warranty time frame , and Dynatrac has been very helpfully . I still very disappointed to say the least, my expectation where a lot higher . I didnt think i would be rebuilding/ replacing my rear axle after 18 months under my jeep . i really dont want to bad mouth Dynatrac , they have been helpful . BUT i spent a lot of money and 2 years isnt a long time..

Attachments

• IMG_5223.JPG
    IMG_5223.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5229.JPG
    IMG_5229.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5230.JPG
    IMG_5230.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 15

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Guys
I have some very recent problems with a ProRock 60 semi float rear axle. it was installed 2 years ago ( problems really noted back in September / October ) so it only lasted 18 months. i selected a 44/60 serious performance set with 4:88 and ARB's for my build , i did it in conjunction with a Dakota customs 392 8 speed kit. I figured a 35 spline rear axle shaft and ARB could handle the hemi and 37s. Im not sure i was wrong with that assumption but here i am building a new rear axle. The first sign of failure was the ARB not engaging , so i purchased a seal kit .... well when we got it open there was 0.060 of carrier movement and 0.045 back lash... ok time to rebuild ... well long story long the carrier bearing spun and ate up the ARB and the new carrier bearing races no longer have an interference fit. I was not a fan of shaving down the carrier bearing caps and installing a new ARB and gears. So Dynatrac sold me a new housing at cost. I was out of the warranty time frame , and Dynatrac has been very helpfully . I still very disappointed to say the least, my expectation where a lot higher . I didnt think i would be rebuilding/ replacing my rear axle after 18 months under my jeep . i really dont want to bad mouth Dynatrac , they have been helpful . BUT i spent a lot of money and 2 years isnt a long time..
What happened with your axle is just wrong and I'm sorry to see it. That said, I personally would NEVER trust a high pinion semi-float 60 of any make with a V8 let alone a 44 especially since I've been able to break both with a 3.8L. To go even further, I personally had bent and broken PR60 semi-float flanges and pinions and have multiple friends who have as well. Again, all with a V6.

Last edited:

Donut707

What happened with your axle is just wrong and I'm sorry to see it. That said, I personally would NEVER trust a high pinion semi-float 60 of any make with a V8 let along a 44 especially since I've been able to break both with a 3.8L. To go even further, I personally had bent and broken PR60 semi-float flanges and pinions and have multiple friends who have as well. Again, all with a V6.
I'll be 100% honest too i didn't put much thought into the detractors of the high pinion setup ... lesson learned ... i guess Currie has there high pinion figured out with the load bolt setup... once im back on the road i may be considering another upgrade in the future

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be 100% honest too i didn't put much thought into the detractors of the high pinion setup ... lesson learned ... i guess Currie has there high pinion figured out with the load bolt setup... once im back on the road i may be considering another upgrade in the future
The biggest problem with the high pinion is that it has you running on the coast side of the ring gear and that IS the weak side. This is where I've seen a lot of issues, including on the high pinion PR60 that I used to have. That said, the bigger problem I've had and have seen countless times is with the semi-float flanges, bending and breaking and again, with just a 3.8L. I have personally broken a flange and have personally seen 2 others break. My good friend Moochie here on the forum still has issues with his bending and it really sucks. While I love my PR60 front axle and it's taken all the punishment I could ever throw at it and for the last 15 years, I would not recommend a high pinion PR60 rear with semi-float shafts to anyone, regardless of what engine they have.

Ddays

Hooked
I got good at changing axles with bent flanges in parking lots when I had my PR60 SF. Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've spent money on for my Jeep. Sorry you had to learn the hard way as well. Keep in mind that if you go FF on your next set you'll need to change wheels.

Donut707

I got good at changing axles with bent flanges in parking lots when I had my PR60 SF. Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've spent money on for my Jeep. Sorry you had to learn the hard way as well. Keep in mind that if you go FF on your next set you'll need to change wheels.
yeah i thought i had cried once when i cut the check for the axle package ..... lesson learned .... i need to start an AI only fans to support my habit

Top Bottom