U-joints won't fit!

Good - thanks - I'm heading back to 4WP today and hopefully they'll have some more on the shelf where I can look at the casting numbers. This has been real fun.

No luck at 4wp, the part numbers are right is all I got...

I decided to lightly grind some of the shoulder off the Alloy u-joints - they are much beefier than the stock ones and I only had to shave a little off to get them to fit. I like that the bearing caps are greasable too, seems like a better design vs having a hollow passage in the middle of the u-joint. I'm a big fan of the grease gun anyway, esp for parts that get submerged occasionally.

Attachments

• 20160913_081737.jpg
    20160913_081737.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 112
let me get this right....

you order a part.
it doesnt fit.
research and find out the manufacturer changed that part.
now 4wp wont exchange it for one of the newer parts that would fit.

do they not understand that the part is now made differently?

i think its totally reasonable to exchange that for the model that fits....

personally never had trouble with 4wp but man its funny how one interaction can turn you off of a company :S

Good informational thread (could almost be a sticky in tech), I do have a question though.

I just got a pair of the Ten Factory front shafts and the Spicer casting # is SPR 1411, not sure which model # this would be.

I called Ten Factory and the guy told me they are Part #5004891, but I think he was just reading from the page and not an actual tech. Just curious as I'd like to have a spare or two.

Last edited:
Good informational thread (could almost be a sticky in tech), I do have a question though.

I just got a pair of the Ten Factory front shafts and the Spicer casting # is SPR 1411, not sure which model # this would be.

I called Ten Factory and the guy told me they are Part #5004891, but I think he was just reading from the page and not an actual tech. Just curious as I'd like to have a spare or two.

the SPR1411 is obsolete replaced by
Spicer 5-7166X which is the U joint are referred to in my original post. I ordered mine from Amazon but look at the photos and confirm that the casting stamp is the one that I referred to if you buy them locally open the box and check that casting stamp because the older ones thicker ones are still available and also sold under the same part number that you received from 10 Factory
Spicer has a cross reference chart where you can get the SPL version which has full circle clips and double sealed caps made more specifically for the Jeep I haven't ordered any yet to see how they fit

So if I buy #5-7166X it will fit in these just fine down the road?

Do you happen to know where that cross reference chart is for the full clips and double sealed caps? Do you have to buy those separately in addition to the #5-7166X

Last edited:
So if I buy #5-7166X it will fit in these just fine down the road?

Do you happen to know where that cross reference chart is for the full clips and double sealed caps? Do you have to buy those separately in addition to the #5-7166X

The newest 5-7166x u-joint has the latest features, they all share the same part number 5004891 and you can still find the different forging #'s of the u-joints depending on where you buy from so be sure to look at the forging SPR#

http://spicerparts.com/parts/driveshaft/automotive-performance/spicer-life-series-u-joints

Top Bottom