Tumbler Begins: '17 JKUR HR

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Here's what the finished install looks like with the phone mount adjusted. I was also able to change the nav arrow to a Jeep Wrangler on the nav screen. :cool:

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

I have to take the bezel back off and switch two connectors on the main speaker harness. I noticed that whenever making a call over Bluetooth or when using nav, that the system doesn't have any voices come thru the speakers although the audio from the radio is interrupted.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Some notes on the push button start project....

Through a little research, it looks like the HVAC bezel (P/N 1RH94DX9AC) for Wranglers without power mirrors is a part I'll need. When equipped without power mirrors, the 12v outlet is already on the driver side and an insert of some sort is on the passenger side. I don't know if that insert is some sort of hook or something (I've only seen it in pictures) but when removed, the hole appears to be the same shape as the hole where the power mirror switch goes when equipped, just on the opposite side, where I would like it. Getting this bezel just gives me a little less modding to do since I would only need to enlarge one hole to accommodate the starter push button.

Here is a JK bezel with no power mirror option.

68cbae711aa701f0296c60e22d20210f_zpslpkpx6kf.jpg

Same bezel, no "insert"

532689b244c0d953bb599b52db9d3bb3_zpsgma64nig.jpg

This is what my existing bezel looks like. To my eyes, it looks like the power mirror switch would move over to the right side with no modding, leaving me with only having to enlarge the circular outlet hole for a larger diameter starter button.

08cbe30a-7027-4533-9d7b-16b4b3ebaa67_zpscmr9wyic.jpg

Last edited:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
After you have your push start is all finished, what do you do with your key before starting your jk? Or do you integrate some sort of passive key system along with the push that would eliminate your key?

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Since the Mopar switch was way too deep to install where I'd like, I'm going to try a Nissan GT-R switch. It appears to be a lot more shallow and with the appropriate trim bezel to retain it, hopefully will work. I also know for sure Digital Guard Dawg can use it since they offer it as one of their options. I would've liked to use the Mopar switch for a little added authenticity and DGD said they'd make it work with their module, but it isn't in the cards unless I want to put a hole somewhere else in the dash panel. The Nissan switch will have a very similar appearance.

IMG_1475_zpsdgwerlzj.jpg

Here's what the finished install looks like with the phone mount adjusted. I was also able to change the nav arrow to a Jeep Wrangler on the nav screen. :cool:

View attachment 240628

View attachment 240629

I have to take the bezel back off and switch two connectors on the main speaker harness. I noticed that whenever making a call over Bluetooth or when using nav, that the system doesn't have any voices come thru the speakers although the audio from the radio is interrupted.

looks great

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I've been piecing together the small parts needed to physically install the starter switch in the dash. I've already received the Nissan button and I'm waiting on the new HVAC bezel, and Nissan trim ring from eBay. Once received I'll hopefully be able to install the starter switch by enlarging the outlet hole with a step drill bit and possibly keying the new hole. Once everything is received, I'll post pics.

5280Sapper

I've been piecing together the small parts needed to physically install the starter switch in the dash. I've already received the Nissan button and I'm waiting on the new HVAC bezel, and Nissan trim ring from eBay. Once received I'll hopefully be able to install the starter switch by enlarging the outlet hole with a step drill bit and possibly keying the new hole. Once everything is received, I'll post pics.

Curious to see how the push button works! my jeep is the first car I've owned in 10 years that hasn't had push button!!!

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
The switch and trim bezel/retainer ring and HVAC control bezel are all here. I'm waiting on a large step drill bit from Amazon to enlarge the existing hole and then I'll have to key the hole to the bezel so it doesn't spin. But this is looking like it will have a very factory appearance. I was a little concerned that the trim ring may be too big and result in grinding the recessed area for it to fit. I'll post more pics when I start cutting things to fit.

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

longarmwj

Sweet!! I've been spoiled by the passive entry and push button start on my WK2. Once you get use to it, it's hard to give up :cheesy:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Thanks! These are just the first small steps. I wanted to figure out fit and placement. I ran into an installer at the Philly auto show in the DUB area who had an installed price significantly less than the DGD system before install. But I'm trying to focus on long term reliability vs just cost & convenience. DGD came up consistently as a reliable system during my online searches for PBS/PKE systems. Still may be another month or two before I'm actually starting the Tumbler with the push of a button.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I have some other items on my short term wishlist. New tire carrier (leaning EVO), tow hitch, headliner, and storage solutions. Looking at Versahitch (Quadratec has some attractive packages), ARB roller drawer/shelf vs homemade solution (Sharkey's Shark Tank thread has my mind churning), MOPAR headliner. Opinions?

This ARB unit would really fit the bill for both work and personal use but it's not cheap.

23e729af-d44f-4a2c-8814-6a3135c0b7ae_zpsdhvmhew2.jpg

tdougherty81

I have some other items on my short term wishlist. New tire carrier (leaning EVO), tow hitch, headliner, and storage solutions. Looking at Versahitch (Quadratec has some attractive packages), ARB roller drawer/shelf vs homemade solution (Sharkey's Shark Tank thread has my mind churning), MOPAR headliner. Opinions?

This ARB unit would really fit the bill for both work and personal use but it's not cheap.

View attachment 243264

Been looking getting something similar or building it myself. I like the drawer for keeping recovery gear and tools.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
^ The top of it glides in and out too. Which would also be nice for work. I could clip some of my longer tools to it.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Okay my step bit arrived so I modded this bezel tonight.

The hole needed to be 1 1/2" in diameter, the largest I could find was 1 3/8" so for $11 off of Amazon (well that's not exactly true, but the 1 1/2" bit was over $160) so I grabbed one to get me close and make a clean round hole. I took it the rest of the way with some various dremel bits in a 12v drill. I'm REALLY happy with the final result.

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

Marked where the bezel is keyed for the retainer ring.

IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2257.jpg

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I'll probably install it for a minute tomorrow to check clearance behind the bezel. I think it'll be fine. And I'm anxious to see it installed.

Top Bottom