Transfer case chain slap?

So I’ve had a noise since this summer that’s progressively getting louder. It started occurring about 65ish mph but now it happens at 50ish mph. I’ve isolated it to the front driveshaft, front diff or the transfer case. Yesterday I took the front driveshaft off and went for a test drive and couldn’t get it to make the noise. Contacted my gear guy and told him what was going on and he believes that my front diff is perfectly fine but that I probably have stretched my transfer case chain and it’s now slapping on the housing. It’s a 2021 Rubicon with 50k miles and has seen a good amount of heavy wheeling. Also, the front driveshaft has been spinning since this summer when I did that FAD delete. I will drain the fluid and look for aluminum chunks/shavings but I’m just curious if this sounds like a reasonable assumption? Thanks! 👍

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you had a manual, I'd say you might be on to something but with an auto... eh. That the sound goes away with your front shaft off, what you're hearing very well may be just that, you're front shaft.

WJCO

Meme King
So I’ve had a noise since this summer that’s progressively getting louder. It started occurring about 65ish mph but now it happens at 50ish mph. I’ve isolated it to the front driveshaft, front diff or the transfer case. Yesterday I took the front driveshaft off and went for a test drive and couldn’t get it to make the noise. Contacted my gear guy and told him what was going on and he believes that my front diff is perfectly fine but that I probably have stretched my transfer case chain and it’s now slapping on the housing. It’s a 2021 Rubicon with 50k miles and has seen a good amount of heavy wheeling. Also, the front driveshaft has been spinning since this summer when I did that FAD delete. I will drain the fluid and look for aluminum chunks/shavings but I’m just curious if this sounds like a reasonable assumption? Thanks! 👍
Seems like low mileage for a stretched chain IMO.

If you had a manual, I'd say you might be on to something but with an auto... eh. That the sound goes away with your front shaft off, what you're hearing very well may be just that, you're front shaft.
Unfortunately I neglected to mention that I had the driveshaft guy check it over for noise and balance and it was perfect.

Top Bottom