Trans Leak

treys1

Hey everyone. I have developed a very slight leak on my trans but it seems to be in an odd spot best I can track it down. It's almost like its weeping from the right in front of where the trans bolts up to the t-case.

Has anyone seen a similar leak, if so what was the cause / resolution?

TransLeak.jpg

TransLeak2.jpg

This is a 2015 JKUR Automatic with ~110k miles.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Have you confirmed it's transmission fluid? you can buy test strips to confirm it is transmission fluid

I had a leak like that on my 2010 JK

Shop I took it to recommended rear main seal, but that did not solve it.

Dealt with it for about 4 years until February this year and took it to a new shop. They found the leak was coming down from the top oil pan seal and the path it took was not was not easily visible from where it begin.

JK oil pan is in 2 parts, had them replace the upper and lower oil pan seal and it's been clean, leak free since.

Last edited:

treys1

Have you confirmed it's transmission fluid? you can buy test strips to confirm it is transmission fluid

I had a leak like that on my 2010 JK

Shop I took it to recommended rear main seal, but that did not solve it.

Dealt with it for about 4 years until February this year and took it to a new shop. They found the leak was coming down from the top oil pan seal and the path it took was not was not easily visible from where it begin.

JK oil pan is in 2 parts, had them replace the upper and lower oil pan seal and it's been clean, leak free since.

It's noticably red when mopped up with a white paper towel.

When I bought it a few months ago I had the dealership do all the fluids including the full trans service. Of course now seeing this I checked the fluid level and it shows overfilled when hot. I'm wondering if that could cause a seal to blow out.

And this was the dealership in GA before I moved the Jeep to NM, so it wouldn't just be swinging by to have them look at it...

treys1

Over full won’t blow a seal out. It’s probably just the output seal mine’s weeping in exactly the same spot

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks. Think I should just suck some fluid out to at least get the level right and not worry about it until it gets a little worse? How long have you been going with yours like that?

Have you checked in to the cost to fix at a shop?

Thanks again.

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks. Think I should just suck some fluid out to at least get the level right and not worry about it until it gets a little worse? How long have you been going with yours like that?

Have you checked in to the cost to fix at a shop?

Thanks again.

I would, I really hate it when I have to double check the "professionals"

If it still leaks after you get it to the proper level, you'll need to remember to check it more often

treys1

I would, I really hate it when I have to double check the "professionals"

If it still leaks after you get it to the proper level, you'll need to remember to check it more often

Yeah, and even a Jeep Specific "pro" at that being the dealership and all....

Thanks for the input!

Feel comfortable pulling the transfer case? Seals are normally under 10 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Yeah, I can't imagine it being too hard as I have rebuilt engines in my (much) younger days. Where I have the tools and the ability, what I tend to lack these days is spare time. Is the seal a quick hammer in once you get to it kind of thing? I would imagine dropping driveshafts and then like 10ish bolts to actually separate the TCase is what I would be looking at.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Make sure you are checking the trans fluid level with the jeep on a level surface, turned on, TC in neutral, trans in drive otherwise it will read high or over filled.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Yeah, and even a Jeep Specific "pro" at that being the dealership and all....

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I can't imagine it being too hard as I have rebuilt engines in my (much) younger days. Where I have the tools and the ability, what I tend to lack these days is spare time. Is the seal a quick hammer in once you get to it kind of thing? I would imagine dropping driveshafts and then like 10ish bolts to actually separate the TCase is what I would be looking at.

Generally speaking yeah, I don’t have personal experience with that exact trans so refer to a manual. But seal pullers or self tapping screw into the seal pull out, tap new one in.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom