Trail Capable Trailers

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Interested to see and hear thoughts on trail capable trailers. I think I’m going to build or buy a trail trailer for my RTT. That way my kids can hook up and take it if they want.

I don’t want to break the bank so probably under $8K would be my budget.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Here is an example of basically what I’m looking for, but I have no clue if this one is good. Seems pricey for what it is but I can’t really find many ready to roll options out there.

Attachments

• IMG_4675.png
    IMG_4675.png
    531.7 KB · Views: 14
I've pondered this too as I have a 2 door and wouldn't want that weight on top, and since I camp quite often. However I think the prices of these things are outrageous. When researching how to build one on your own, I found it can be significantly cheaper but I also don't have the equipment to get that done either - and therefore would end up probably spending close to the same.

I only know 2 guys that run trail trailers and theirs are huge and stupidly expensive... I think like $40k+ or something. Patriot campers I think after a quick google search.

Here is an example of basically what I’m looking for, but I have no clue if this one is good. Seems pricey for what it is but I can’t really find many ready to roll options out there.
The ones from Australia that cost $50k (or more) are likely nicer. Does that help with the decision-making?

I only know 2 guys that run trail trailers and theirs are huge and stupidly expensive... I think like $40k+ or something. Patriot campers I think after a quick google search.
Perhaps these are the two YouTube influencers I am aware of from San Diego. They spend a lot of time in Anza Borrego.

They since got rid of the $40k trailers and stepped up to newer models with more features.

Perhaps these are the two YouTube influencers I am aware of from San Diego. They spend a lot of time in Anza Borrego.

They since got rid of the $40k trailers and stepped up to newer models with more features.
Uhhh no? One guy I sold a 392 to and another a neighbor with a Land Cruiser.

It would be good to also consider hard-shell trailers which are trail capable. You do already have a tent which can be fitted to a trailer, but if you ignore that, then you will find that there are hard-shell trailers available as well. Key considerations are then if the trailer is large enough for everyone expected to sleep in, and any luxury features desired. Luxury features could be electrical systems, vent fans, nice windows, an awning, water system, and if it provides a place to cook food.

kevman65

Hooked
Since "roughing it" 🤪😂 became popular, all of it has become outrageous.

If one has the skills and tools, it would be MUCH cheaper to build one.

When the popularity wanes, prices will drop and companies will disappear.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Of all the trailers I've looked at... I liked this one the best... as far as how it's built. Something like this that was bare bones for like 5k would be cool... then if you want all the fancy shit I could understand the 17k.

Those are cool, but I don’t need all of the bells and whistles. I already have two different stove setups and frankly, some of the places I camp, cooking away from where you sleep is generally preferable. I may take a shot at making one (or having one made).

Of all the trailers I've looked at... I liked this one the best... as far as how it's built. Something like this that was bare bones for like 5k would be cool... then if you want all the fancy shit I could understand the 17k.

What is the purpose of putting the tent so much higher than the top of the trailer? Is it for storage?

The weight of the tent so high up would surely make the trailer less stable over bumpy ground.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've been looking at off-road capable trailer/camper with 35-37" tires for interchangeable spare but the prices, damn!

Also looked at the smittybilt trailer and it's now $9k and that's about as cheap as they get.

Some of them look really nice and capable, but not for the price of a Jeep

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Found it.

Brute

Hooked
What is the purpose of putting the tent so much higher than the top of the trailer? Is it for storage?

The weight of the tent so high up would surely make the trailer less stable over bumpy ground.
You can get gas strut assisted uprights to lower it for trailering, then raise it so you can flip open the top covers…

Top Bottom