Toyo Open Country R/T's - What do You Think of Them?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Seriously considering a set of 37x13.50 Toyo RT's as a future set of replacement tires. Tread is nice, They're supposed to work well in wet/slippery stuff, supposed to have longer tread life and they can be had in a Range D. The only thing I wasn't sure of was their sidewall design. Looks kinda street tire-ish.

OpenCountryRT_DoubleTires_0.png

What do you guys think?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pro Comps FTW!

Well duh!! :rolleyes2: :crazyeyes:

Truthfully, I've run them in the past and, they are surprisingly sticky on the rocks. I just didn't like the way the chunked and their sidewalls were really weak too. If I were just looking at sidewall strength, I would get another set of Toyo MT's as I've NEVER had an issue with them. I'm just looking to run something new. :yup:

Templar

I think they look pretty cool, but I do prefer a more aggressive look.

Side note: I will be able to do a pretty good side by side comparison on these tires pretty soon. I decided to get the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 37X12.50R17, and while stock piling parts in my garage I talked my best friend into getting a 2015 JKUR as well. While I went with the Nitto M/T & ATX Slabs, he went with the Toyo Open Country R/T 37X13.50R17 and B.A.D Wheels. We both went with the same suspension - Enforcer Pro Stage 1 Coil overs and we are both just waiting on our wheels to start our builds. I pick up my Slabs this weekend, and he should get his wheels in 1.5 weeks or so. So same year jeeps, same options, same lifts, different tires and wheels. I'm curious to see how both sets perform on and off road.

Spudcannons

I think they look pretty cool, but I do prefer a more aggressive look.

Side note: I will be able to do a pretty good side by side comparison on these tires pretty soon. I decided to get the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 37X12.50R17, and while stock piling parts in my garage I talked my best friend into getting a 2015 JKUR as well. While I went with the Nitto M/T & ATX Slabs, he went with the Toyo Open Country R/T 37X13.50R17 and B.A.D Wheels. We both went with the same suspension - Enforcer Pro Stage 1 Coil overs and we are both just waiting on our wheels to start our builds. I pick up my Slabs this weekend, and he should get his wheels in 1.5 weeks or so. So same year jeeps, same options, same lifts, different tires and wheels. I'm curious to see how both sets perform on and off road.

Can't wait to here about that.

BigBoy

I'm leaning more toward the Nitto Exo Grapplers myself. Partly because of the looks of the sidewall over these. Still very torn between these two and the new BFG AT KO2's.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, been doing a bit more research and I'm not sure how much I'm liking the fact that it has slightly less tread depth and I still can't get past the lack of any real shoulder lugs. Guess I might have to just get another Trail Grappler (if I can find one) or maybe look into other options. Sure is hard to move back to an AT design after running MT's for so long.

Jk909

Yeah, been doing a bit more research and I'm not sure how much I'm liking the fact that it has slightly less tread depth and I still can't get past the lack of any real shoulder lugs. Guess I might have to just get another Trail Grappler (if I can find one) or maybe look into other options. Sure is hard to move back to an AT design after running MT's for so long.

I think they will look a lot less aggressive once mounted. My nitto at's looked real nice in the show room. Once they were installed I was really bummed out. I wish I had gone with an mt or the exo at least.

TheStick

Being in snow country now, you might want to consider 2 sets for winter driving vs. summer trails. I know my half worn MTs are not great in the snow.

JohnnyD

I run these in 35, I like them very much. Road manners are on point , very quiet . I have wheeled these on rock, mud , through rivers, slick or dry these just work.

Granted I have been out in the desert with em, even though I'm in Scottsdale now for lol....

I have not been disappointed with their performance at all. I do put a lot of road miles on so that was a big consideration, but for the wheeling I've done so far they are every bit as effective as the Mtrks and the bfgs I've run.

Hope this helps

Sh0rtBus

LOSER
I think they will look a lot less aggressive once mounted. My nitto at's looked real nice in the show room. Once they were installed I was really bummed out. I wish I had gone with an mt or the exo at least.

On the contrary, I'm quite pleased with how aggressive they look mounted on my 18x8 Method NV 305's. I have these mounted on my '14 Ram 1500 4x4 and so far I like them a lot. Granted, I don't have any intention of doing any serious off -roading in my truck. I wanted something more aggressive than the Open Country AT/Terra Grapplers for more grip during the winter months here in NTX when we typically get ice storms and such. Should be able to report on that later this year, but as far as road manners, etc., so far I have not been disappointed with the Open Country RT. 45k mile tread wear warranty doesn't hurt, either. I think the tread depth new is like 18/32 IIRC.

twoxstreem

Funny I felt the opposite. They look kind of tame in photos but in person they are just as aggressive as Grapplers. These are my 37x12.5x17 To be completely honest the ±2MM difference in tread depth isn't noticeable at all. I would go with the 13.5 vs the 12.5 as the 37s appear to be slightly more narrow than my 35" nittos

I haven't had any sidewall issues but my exposure to rocks is limited to 1 trip to Rausch.

IMG_6753.jpg IMG_6750.JPG

Top Bottom