Towing, hauling and general comfort on 37s/38s ?

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
Hi All,

So i've been working through (and set a budget aside) for what i'd like to do with my Jeep - but one question that came up in my mind is how well i'd be able to tow/haul stuff - it owuld be nice to be able to still reach into my bed - pull items and place them - or to be able to pull a 5k lb trailer a long distance. What I was shooting for is:

38x12.50r17 ridge grapplers
4.5 " Evo Enforcer lift with King Shocks (2.5")
5.13 Gears

My goal is to have a competent rig I can take down most trails (not necessarily beat all obstacles into submission - but have the confidence to go just about anywhere (within reason). While still being able to do truck stuff. I'd like to be able to tow an airstream caravel that we have and be able to haul things that I'd need to get done around the house... i.e. wood, materials, throw away trash at the dump etc...

Would you guys consider this setup a bit extreme for what I want ?

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I don’t think it’s too extreme. I’ve been running a similar setup for a while now. I also have a 5k camper and use my Gladiator daily for business. The camper tows fine and other than power I actually prefer it over my wife’s little duramax. I will say with the lift and tires you’re not going to be just reaching into the back. I use the wheel or a step stool when loading/unloading.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
5.13 is the right ratio for 38's and it'll make your JT feel like stock again. Assuming you have the 3.6L, it'll pull/haul what you're wanting but you'll feel every bit of it. I would recommend installing trailer brakes too.

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
I don’t think it’s too extreme. I’ve been running a similar setup for a while now. I also have a 5k camper and use my Gladiator daily for business. The camper tows fine and other than power I actually prefer it over my wife’s little duramax. I will say with the lift and tires you’re not going to be just reaching into the back. I use the wheel or a step stool when loading/unloading.
I was trying to avoid just that.

5.13 is the right ratio for 38's and it'll make your JT feel like stock again. Assuming you have the 3.6L, it'll pull/haul what you're wanting but you'll feel every bit of it. I would recommend installing trailer brakes too.
I was thinking the same thing as well - i don't think the 3.6 will tow effortlessly - but should get the job done. Do you know if there is a mopar trailer brake accessory for gladiators ? Looks like i may have to go aftermarket for that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

=/=

I assume she has a colorado? Does your jeep have the ecodiesel by chance? I've yet to tow with mine but loading it up to full payload on 37s didn't slow it down very much at all.

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I assume she has a colorado? Does your jeep have the ecodiesel by chance? I've yet to tow with mine but loading it up to full payload on 37s didn't slow it down very much at all.

The tow pro helps smooth braking with the camper. Yes it is an eco diesel and had more power but I hated how bad it squats. Never noticed any difference in braking, I’ve always stopped when need too. Even with the Jeep and camper loaded up.

=/=

The tow pro helps smooth braking with the camper. Yes it is an eco diesel and had more power but I hated how bad it squats. Never noticed any difference in braking, I’ve always stopped when need too. Even with the Jeep and camper loaded up.
Oh I meant to ask how does the colorado's power compare to the ecodiesel when towing, more or less. I'd assume the ecodiesel would feel much stronger with 100 more ft/lbs and 8 gears.

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
Oh I meant to ask how does the colorado's power compare to the ecodiesel when towing, more or less. I'd assume the ecodiesel would feel much stronger with 100 more ft/lbs and 8 gears.
I didn't own one - but was using a friends for about 2 weeks - it definitely struggles less than our 3.6 - but the 3.0 ecodiesel feels stronger imo. it's not a 6.7 Cummins (i say that even though my 6.7 Cummins lifters checked out at less than 17k miles and costed me well north of $35k) but it pulls effortlessly.

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
Sorry reading comprehension has never been my strong suit and my mind is always Jeep. She had the little 3.0 eco Sierra 1500, I’ve only pulled the side by side with it but I forgot it was there if that’s any help.

Reactions: =/=
Top Bottom