toe in toe out

Hi

I watched and read Eddies guide how to set toe in and toe out. It is more or less crystal clear how to do it but one thing I still wonder about.

Does it matter if you take the measurement from the center of the tire or can you take it from the outer side of the tire? I´m thinking it can be helpfull to clamp a straight leveling bar or something becuase it is easier to measure on.

Can you do it on the rotors and if so I guess you should use some kind of bars attached to the rotors but how long out from the rotors? And also, this measurement should be affected with how big tires you have if you do it with the tires on. Is 2 to 3 mm also good for a 35 inch tire?

Thanks

Ddays

Hooked
Taking the measurement on the outside of the tires is the easiest. Use anything that's straight. Also, make sure you're not resting the straight edges on any of the tire lugs, or if you are, make sure they are the same lugs on both sides or your measurement will be off

CalSgt

Hooked
Hi

I watched and read Eddies guide how to set toe in and toe out. It is more or less crystal clear how to do it but one thing I still wonder about.

Does it matter if you take the measurement from the center of the tire or can you take it from the outer side of the tire? I´m thinking it can be helpfull to clamp a straight leveling bar or something becuase it is easier to measure on.

Can you do it on the rotors and if so I guess you should use some kind of bars attached to the rotors but how long out from the rotors? And also, this measurement should be affected with how big tires you have if you do it with the tires on. Is 2 to 3 mm also good for a 35 inch tire?

Thanks

The most important part is to be repeatable and accurate doesn't really matter where the measurement is taken

This is how I do it, remove tires, set axle on stands at ride height & use two pieces of angle steel 4 foot long. The amount of toe in doesn't need to increase drastically for a larger tire. The important thing is how tires wear and how it handles.

You should not use the rotors since the full weight of the vehicle should be on the ground. It makes a difference. When my dad did this at home he put some wax paper under the front tires to make sure that they came to rest in a natural position with no other stresses.

Hi

yes it matters.

If you measure at the 15" rotor ( or whatever it is) and set it say an 1/8th toe in, when you put a 37" tire on, the front of the tires are going to be way more than an 1/8" in

You should not use the rotors since the full weight of the vehicle should be on the ground. It makes a difference. When my dad did this at home he put some wax paper under the front tires to make sure that they came to rest in a natural position with no other stresses.
Even if using the rotors and some bars attached to them to simulate say a 35" tire I meant to have jackstands under the axle and therefore the weight still on the suspension.

Now with that sad, I have also heard that the weight should be on the rotors or tires because of movements in what I guess in the balljoints. Not sure who is correct or not. Personaly I´m not sure why that should be important on a solid axle and if it does make a difference I guess you have very worn ball joints so doing this toe setting before changing out the balljoints is a waste of time anyway.

Eddie and Jim did use jack stands under the axle and to say they have a lot of experince with jeeps would not be an overstatement in my opinion :)

If that is good enough for them, that is good enough for me.

yes it matters.

If you measure at the 15" rotor ( or whatever it is) and set it say an 1/8th toe in, when you put a 37" tire on, the front of the tires are going to be way more than an 1/8" in
I meant to use the rotors and put a metalbar or something on them to have the same "diameter" as the tires. I just found it a bit hard to find a good spot on the tire. I just found it a bit more easy on a bar with a sharp and straight edge.

I guess I answered my own question but sometimes I feel a bit unsure wrenching on my jeep so I ask sometimes an extra time even if I maybee know how to do. So many here with much more experince than I have.

Andy5160

Hooked
Taking the measurement on the outside of the tires is the easiest. Use anything that's straight. Also, make sure you're not resting the straight edges on any of the tire lugs, or if you are, make sure they are the same lugs on both sides or your measurement will be off
Seems like you have done it before ;)

Hilop

Caught the Bug
You can also mark a point on the outer face of each tire with a paint marker and measure from the center of the marks. I make sure that the mark is the same height when taking measurements both front and rear to find toe.

CalSgt

Hooked
I meant to use the rotors and put a metalbar or something on them to have the same "diameter" as the tires. I just found it a bit hard to find a good spot on the tire. I just found it a bit more easy on a bar with a sharp and straight edge.

I guess I answered my own question but sometimes I feel a bit unsure wrenching on my jeep so I ask sometimes an extra time even if I maybee know how to do. So many here with much more experince than I have.
Eh? Two 4 foot pieces of 1x1x1/8" angle with a few holes drilled in it...
IMG_5982-2.jpg

Top Bottom