To diy or not to diy - frankenlift 1.5”

Folks i currently run on stock suspension with 285/70/17 on my JLU Sahara

i have the following components with me as i handpicked them for my Frankenstein lift.
  • Clayton 1.5” springs front and rear
  • Mopar LCA from 2” lift
  • Mopar sway bar links from 2” lift
  • Fox ifp shocks 2-3” lift version
  • Teraflex jounce bump stop from their 1.5 ST1 kit
I initially thought i will attempt to install this myself in my garage with floor lift and jacks but I’m having second thoughts. Given the cost of tools etc, is is best to use an installer even if they provide no warranty since they didn’t source the parts?

Is it worth doing this myself and take that risk with minimal to no experience with automotive tinkering?

Masjkf84

Caught the Bug
If you have a second vehicle I’d give it a go yourself. If I had a second vehicle I’d for sure try it myself.

coming from someone who hasn’t installed my own lift I can tell you it’s not a comfortable feeling not knowing what to do and/or check when things act up.

Upvote 0
I have this nightmare like feeling that a wheel will come off or the Jeep will track too left or right making it hard to drive 😂

I’m probably panicking due to inexperience. I’m also not a strong arm person so i wonder how to break away torque specs above 190lb.

if the Jack doesn’t lift the Jeep enough i worry about getting the springs in and there are folks that warn that spring compression when gone wrong can kill you…

Upvote 0

Sgt_USMC

I agree, do it yourself. The more work you do, the more you will understand about your Jeep. Then when issues pop up later you have the tools both physically and mentally to tackle the problem. It’s a great feeling when you fix something or mod something and everything works like it should on the first try!

Upvote 0

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have this nightmare like feeling that a wheel will come off or the Jeep will track too left or right making it hard to drive 😂

I’m probably panicking due to inexperience. I’m also not a strong arm person so i wonder how to break away torque specs above 190lb.

if the Jack doesn’t lift the Jeep enough i worry about getting the springs in and there are folks that warn that spring compression when gone wrong can kill you…
Easy. Try again, breaker bar, use a piece of wood.

Upvote 0
Go for it.. any questions you have before, during or after we can help you with.
I really appreciate the confidence you folks are giving.
I’ll go get some metric combination wrenches and floor Jack from Princess auto (Canadian harbour freight equivalent)

i got the Ryobi impact wrench (brushless 600lb version) hoping that should help with the wheel nuts and LCA bolts.

Upvote 0

TrailHunter

Hooked
I really appreciate the confidence you folks are giving.
I’ll go get some metric combination wrenches and floor Jack from Princess auto (Canadian harbour freight equivalent)

i got the Ryobi impact wrench (brushless 600lb version) hoping that should help with the wheel nuts and LCA bolts.
It sounds like you don’t have a lot of tools already.. and thats ok. You’ll just have to make some extra trips to the store… by the end of this you will have the beginning of a tool kit to keep in the Jeep.

A cordless impact is helpful in certain situations but you’ll need to do all final torques with a good 1/2” and 3/8” drive torque wrench that you can dial from 25-150+ ft lbs.

Upvote 0
It sounds like you don’t have a lot of tools already.. and thats ok. You’ll just have to make some extra trips to the store… by the end of this you will have the beginning of a tool kit to keep in the Jeep.

A cordless impact is helpful in certain situations but you’ll need to do all final torques with a good 1/2” and 3/8” drive torque wrench that you can dial from 25-150+ ft lbs.
I got half way there when i was installing roof top tent. Currently installing bumper.

i have torque wrench, 1/2 inch shallow and deep impact socket set. I need to buy the floor Jack combo and metric combination wrench set now, then i should have most stuff

Upvote 0

TrailHunter

Hooked
Saftey First.. dont be afraid to double up on safety.. Even when you are on Jack Stands, slide the wheel/tire under the frame as well… and you can leave the Floor jack under the frame or axle as well if possible.

Focus on one axle at a time. You can leave the wheels on the rear if working on the front or vice versa.. Utilize the emergency brake or 4wd to keep the wheels from spinning easy… or block the tires.

Don’t rush it.

Upvote 0
Saftey First.. dont be afraid to double up on safety.. Even when you are on Jack Stands, slide the wheel/tire under the frame as well… and you can leave the Floor jack under the frame or axle as well if possible.

Focus on one axle at a time. You can leave the wheels on the rear if working on the front or vice versa.. Utilize the emergency brake or 4wd to keep the wheels from spinning easy… or block the tires.

Don’t rush it.
Yep wheel under frame is must. I’m going to use the jacks on the frame to give most height and use the flat garage jack for the pumpkin. I’m going to start with front.

how do you folks retighten lca and track bar after wheels are in? Everyone calls for this to be done when Jeep is on its own weight. Unsure how much clearance there is. This is one step i was wary of

Upvote 0

TrailHunter

Hooked
Yep wheel under frame is must. I’m going to use the jacks on the frame to give most height and use the flat garage jack for the pumpkin. I’m going to start with front.

how do you folks retighten lca and track bar after wheels are in? Everyone calls for this to be done when Jeep is on its own weight. Unsure how much clearance there is. This is one step i was wary of
You should be able to crawl under and reach it… or Set the stands under the axle… same thing.

Upvote 0
I see what you mean, when the front is resting on the floor jacks at two ends of the axle at height equal or higher than what it would have been when tires or on .. it’s still the same as resting on the tires or mildly flexing 👍

Upvote 0

TrailHunter

Hooked
Save this link to your home page:

Edit: Just realized you have a JL - use this page:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, consider downloading the instal instructions from a lift that has similar components. It will be close enough to give you guidance and some peace of mind that you’re doing it correctly.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom