Tires question

sean112280

Trying to decide on my next set of tires. I have 4 choices in mind. The mud grapplers, trail grapplers, KM2's, or the duratracs. What are yalls experience and opinions on these choices. I know a lot of you run the nittos.

Speeddmn

Muds will be loud and horrible in ice/snow. Trails will be dang near ture to size and overall great. KM2's will be crappy in anything water related (ice, snow, rain) and be extremely smaller then advertised. Duratracs will be great if you need the ice/snow driving and not so much rock/mud.

Hope that helps.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Though very loud, I always thought of the 35" Mud Grapplers I ran on my last JK the best mud tire I've ran in ice/snow. They gripped great on snowy/icy roads, and in the deep unplowed stuff, they were amazing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Though very loud, I always thought of the 35" Mud Grapplers I ran on my last JK the best mud tire I've ran in ice/snow. They gripped great on snowy/icy roads, and in the deep unplowed stuff, they were amazing.

I have to agree, of all the mud terrain tires I have and still do run, I have found that the Mud Grapplers are far superior to Trail Grapplers in the snow and ice and surprisingly, are one of the best mud terrains I have run in those conditions.

sean112280

Thanks everyone. How about the mud grapplers on normal daily driving? Do they wear decent? I currently have the Toyo open country MT's, and they seemed to wear pretty fast for me

rogerk93

Have you looked into the toyo m/t the reviews are pretty good overall I'll be going to those in 37's in 2 months

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Read above. They seemed to wear really quickly in my opinion

I can't say for sure how long they'll actually last, but I sold the 35" Mud Grapplers on 18" Spyderlocks on my last JK with over 35k miles on them and there was still plenty of tread left. I'll be running the Mud Grappler in a 40/13.50/17 on my new JK and won't have any reason to upgrade or change them, so I guess I'll get to see exactly how long they'll actually last until they need replaced.

sean112280

I can't say for sure how long they'll actually last, but I sold the 35" Mud Grapplers on 18" Spyderlocks on my last JK with over 35k miles on them and there was still plenty of tread left. I'll be running the Mud Grappler in a 40/13.50/17 on my new JK and won't have any reason to upgrade or change them, so I guess I'll get to see exactly how long they'll actually last until they need replaced.

Awesome. Thanks. I was talking about the Toyo's wearing quickly

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everyone. How about the mud grapplers on normal daily driving? Do they wear decent? I currently have the Toyo open country MT's, and they seemed to wear pretty fast for me

Depends on what size you are wanting to run. The 40x15.50R20 Mud Grapplers we have now seem to be wearing well BUT, the rubber compound on it is different/harder than the 40x13.50R17. The later seems to have a softer compound that is sticker and more like the 40x13.50R17 Toyos and Nitto Trail Grapplers. Of course, all of these tires are made by Toyo.

As is the case with any mud terrain, if I can get about 35,000-40,000 good useable miles out of them, I'm pretty happy. If you want more, you should consider running BFG MT's as they tend to wear like iron. Granted, they aren't as good on the rocks as Toyos or Nittos.

sean112280

Thanks Eddie. I would be running 33's on my XJ. Yea I agree with 35-40K is good as well. I'm in WA so right now at Elbe there is a bunch of snow/mud hence why I am being more and more persuaded towards the mud grapplers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. I would be running 33's on my XJ. Yea I agree with 35-40K is good as well. I'm in WA so right now at Elbe there is a bunch of snow/mud hence why I am being more and more persuaded towards the mud grapplers.

Nice! Elbe is the real deal. If it were me living up there, I'd definitely want a set of Mud Grapplers. We ran it with Trail Grapplers and they did well but our old Mud Grapplers killed it back east in their mud.

sean112280

Awesome! Thanks Eddie. Yea Elbe is no joke. I did the busy this year but it was pretty dry

Attachments

• 1452392068506.jpg
    1452392068506.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 101

holliewood61

I ran the mud grapplers for a while. They make you sound like a B-52 coming down the highway. Off road they have great forward bite, but in this slop we have on the east coast they lacked lateral traction which could make side hills kind of hairy. In the end I swapped them out for some Irok's and have been happy with the decision.

sean112280

I ran the mud grapplers for a while. They make you sound like a B-52 coming down the highway. Off road they have great forward bite, but in this slop we have on the east coast they lacked lateral traction which could make side hills kind of hairy. In the end I swapped them out for some Irok's and have been happy with the decision.

Thanks for the reply! I don't mind the noise to much. I'm not wanting to go the swampers route for my DD though.

Top Bottom