tires and locker question

bl17z90

My next step in my build is tires, I have decided that I am for sure going to use Nitto Trail Grapplers but I wanted to know what everyone thought on what size to go with. I have a 2.5 coil lift on my JK, a 3.73 rear, I want to stick with the factory 17x7.5 wheels and just add spacers for now and I want atleast a 33 so should I just go with a 33x12.5 or would a 35x12.5 still work decently with that setup? I don't want my engine to scream as i go up a hill so thats why I was unsure about the 35's.:thinking:

Next the lockers I want a locker that works with the trail dash and I also want one thats going to last and not fail on me. I don't know the difference between the perfomance of air lockers and electronic lockers so if someone could sum up the difference for me and possibly make a recommendation that would be great.:rock:

Thanks
~Zach

Trail_Creeper

Only "big" issue with 35s and 3.73 gears is the performance. However if you are looking into a locker now would you also consider doing the gears as well. If you can plan to do gears while doing the lockers i'd jump on the 35s.

As for your locker question. I've ran ARBs in my old XJ, and i haveknow a few people to run them as well. I also knwo a guy running the new Elocker without any issues of after thoughts aswell. In ny opinion the ARB would be a better choice since you have the ability to run an onboard air system later on if you choose to do so.

Last edited:

bl17z90

The lockers were a plan for later so for now just tires. Will a 12.5 tire fit on a 7.5 rim without issues? i saw that 8 was recommended.

You need on board air to run the arb air lockers right? theres no other way to do it?

Trail_Creeper

Issue with the tires would be rubbing, which can be solved by a set of wheel spacers. A 12.5" wide tire would be the widest i'd run on the stock wheels.

There are a couple compressors offered by ARB. One has the ability to run just the lockers, while the other has the ability to operate the lockers and fill a storage tank in/on the Jeep.

Raymond7905

Yup, I'm running 35x12.50 on my JEEP. AEV 2.5" lift and cut fenders. Stock rims with 1.5" wheel spacers.

HAVE TO regear! I have not yet and it is drivable. But with 5.13 ratios it will be much better.

ARB air lockers are very strong and reliable. Will need a small on board compressor.

If you get 33" tires you just going to wish you had rather gotten 35"s :)

bl17z90

I fully plan on spacers, was thinking 1.75 to give it a little bit wider stance. The stock 255 75 tires are 10.5 wide right?

Do those 35's make driving on the road at all difficult? I can run performance mode with my programmer i wonder if that would help.

Raymond7905

bl17z90 said:
I fully plan on spacers, was thinking 1.75 to give it a little bit wider stance. The stock 255 75 tires are 10.5 wide right?

Do those 35's make driving on the road at all difficult? I can run performance mode with my programmer i wonder if that would help.

Naaa. Those 35's are totally drivable on road.

Top Bottom