Tire question

reelsilly

I'm sorry if this post is a bit bothersome, but I'm looking info on personal experiences with tires.

I'm in NC and a majority of my off roading will be done at the beach with some light to moderate trail (muddn'). I'm looking around the size of a 295/70/17. I don't need much bigger as I'm going to be putting a Teraflex 2.5" BB on it. I'm not going to be doing any crawling on rocks or anything. I'm looking a good everyday tire with the off roading capabilities that I mentioned above. If I lived somewhere in the mountains or something I would go bigger on tire size. Right now, 33" is just about perfect.

I'm looking at the Mickey Thompson Deegan 38's or the Dick Cepek Extreme Country. I'm open to other styles as well, and even toyed with some Nitto tires.

I'm looking for personal experiences on tires such as these. Anyone can read reviews on tons of sites but I would rather get advice from folks who use these tires on similar vehicles. Any advice would be great.

I run the BFGoodrich KO2's and they ride great on the interstate, but will dig in when needed too. They are ideal for what I needed. They are really quiet on the road which is great. I've put 10,000 miles on mine so far with minimal wear. Great tire to consider

I just put my first trail weekend in with the 35" KO2s and was very pleased with their performance at Uwharrrie National Forest here in NC. There was a decent amount of mud and plenty of Boulder ridden hills, and never was hindered by the tires. No whining on the road, great off road grip at 11 psi, and a great prices tire. I couldn't be happier so far.

Thanks for the input. I actually looked at these tires as well. The one thing that turned me to asking for opinions was the variation in pricing on tires of the same size. Some of the tire makers are VERY VERY proud of their tires to only get decent reviews.

Forgot to ask y'all, what size tires are you running and do you have lift? Just trying to figure out a good tire size that will work well with the Teraflex BB and not cause rubbing issues.

I'm running 33 BFGs on a 2.5 inch lift and I love the set up but when I wear these down I wanna go to 35s . The BFGs are a good long lift everyday tire.

RK 2.5 Flex Lift, 35" KO2s, going to flat fenders. With the budget boost and flat fenders, you should be able to run 35's but I think the 33's would look more proportionate if you don't want to trim or got with flat fenders.

I was torn between the bfg KO2 and goodyear duratracs. In the end, the duratracs looked like they'd self clean better, and to be honest, I thought they looked pretty badass for an a/t. So far quiet and good rain/highway handling, and they'll scoop mud almost as good as my bfg km2's did. Maybe another option to check out!

The knock on the Duratrac vs the KO2 is the Duratrac has been faulted for a weak sidewall. That being said, lots of guys seem to swear by them.

I just put my first trail weekend in with the 35" KO2s and was very pleased with their performance at Uwharrrie National Forest here in NC. There was a decent amount of mud and plenty of Boulder ridden hills, and never was hindered by the tires. No whining on the road, great off road grip at 11 psi, and a great prices tire. I couldn't be happier so far.

Just curious what is the actual height of those KO2? I'm planning on putting 35's on mine real soon.

The knock on the Duratrac vs the KO2 is the Duratrac has been faulted for a weak sidewall. That being said, lots of guys seem to swear by them.

True, I have heard that before too. Luckily I haven't had any first hand experience issues, (fingers crossed) so far so good!

Just curious what is the actual height of those KO2? I'm planning on putting 35's on mine real soon.

I haven't measured but have read it's just under 34" when mounted and weighted by the jeep. A 37" KO2 measures around 35.5" when mounted. Once again, not first hand information, just what I have seen measured / posted on other forums when researching the KO2 prior to my purchase.

Have the Goodyear Duratracs, in a 285/70/17, love them they clean mud and snow very well, they grip well on ice they aren't super noisy on the highway @ 70-80 mph (nice little hum, barely notice it even with a soft top) been running them since the beginning of this year, 12k miles on them. Only lost 1/32 of tread so far. I will say the side wall does seem to be a little thin, but I haven't chewed through one yet. I only drop to 15psi though and I've only taken them for a "beating" one good time. But like I said I like em I would buy them again if I need to. However I will never buy another set of MTRs those were the worst tires I've ever owned, they chucked on pavement and slipped on ice (not that I get ice here, but Flagstaff gets it) set lasted me less than 30k on a Dodge Dakota.... Just my 0.02
Edit: I'm running the Evo leveling kit and everything else is stock Rubicon (suspension wise)

Last edited:
Forgot to ask y'all, what size tires are you running and do you have lift? Just trying to figure out a good tire size that will work well with the Teraflex BB and not cause rubbing issues.

I'm running a rough country 2.5 inch budget boost with 35s. I have a 1.5 inch spacer so I don't rub at full turn. I don't regret going to 35s at all. They are great

Based on what you said, I would also recommend the BFG KO2 AT. I have had several sets of the KOs and loved them. Would run them again on a daily driver 4x4 that sees a lot of road but still needs an aggressive tread for an AT and for offroad.

Top Bottom