Tire or Drivetrain noise? Post Re-gear on 2012 JKU

mphilleo

EDIT: Updated recording with one that actually has decent audio

Hey folks, I recently had a local, reputable shop re-gear my 2012 JKU for me. The owner said that the gears set up really nicely (I did get all Spicer parts, which probably helped). In addition to the front and rear R&Ps, the front carrier was replaced, the front u-joints, all front axle bearings (the front unit bearing assemblies were fine), and all rear axle and wheel bearings as well.

I've got 255/75R17 (31.5") Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs with about 5,500 miles. Maybe it's just in my head, because the tires always hummed to a degree, but it seems louder than before, but that doesn't really make sense. It's most audible at speeds above 30 MPH. I'm trying to determine if there's any drivetrain noise in that hum or not. This is a recording during my commute, driving about 50-55 MPH, about 15° and with tire pressure at about 33 PSI cold. I've seen how knowledgeable you are, so I thought I'd get an opinion before considering reaching out to the shop owner (he's a good guy). As always, thanks for your insights.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I can't say that I hear a thing. That said, did you notice whatever you are hearing right after the gear install? If so, could be something as dumb as they rotated your tires and now you're hearing them more. Totally normal too. If not and you're concerned, it's always best to have the shop who did the work give things a look. Go on a drive with them and point out the sound. A good shop shouldn't have any issue with this and they might even be able to give you insight as to what's really going on.

mphilleo

Sorry, I can't say that I hear a thing. That said, did you notice whatever you are hearing right after the gear install? If so, could be something as dumb as they rotated your tires and now you're hearing them more. Totally normal too. If not and you're concerned, it's always best to have the shop who did the work give things a look. Go on a drive with them and point out the sound. A good shop shouldn't have any issue with this and they might even be able to give you insight as to what's really going on.
Darn, I think something got lost in translation when the recording was uploaded to Facebook. I wonder if there's a better way to do it.

For all the info I provided, I forgot to mention I performed a 5 tire rotation about 400 miles ago. I don't think they changed the tire position because I checked tread depth yesterday and the one with the deepest was the one I moved from the spare position previously. Good advice in general, though. I might reach out to the gentleman and see if he can do a ride along with me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Darn, I think something got lost in translation when the recording was uploaded to Facebook. I wonder if there's a better way to do it.

For all the info I provided, I forgot to mention I performed a 5 tire rotation about 400 miles ago. I don't think they changed the tire position because I checked tread depth yesterday and the one with the deepest was the one I moved from the spare position previously. Good advice in general, though. I might reach out to the gentleman and see if he can do a ride along with me.
No one better than he will be able to assist you best.

mphilleo

No one better than he will be able to assist you best.
You're correct. I'll probably end up reaching out. I was just looking for a second opinion first so as not to go through the trouble, or waste his time, for nothing. Not that I'm saying the forum members' time has no value. ;) I did update the OP with a better recording.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You're correct. I'll probably end up reaching out. I was just looking for a second opinion first so as not to go through the trouble, or waste his time, for nothing. Not that I'm saying the forum members' time has no value. ;) I did update the OP with a better recording.
Honestly, if I were your shop guy, nothing would annoy me more than to have a customer come in and say, "I read on the internet that I have a problem that you need to fix." Just sayin :)

Top Bottom