Third Break light idea

jkrossi

so this would be ok?

Who out there has a different third brake light what did you do for wiring???

So you want the light to turn on while breaking correct? If so all you need to do is splice into the negative and positive wires of the 3rd break light with connectors like this. 1383070822126.jpg

Last edited:

jkrossi

so this would be ok?

Or use something like this 1383071150689.jpg
Cut the 3rd break light wires and install those on the all the wires. Male ends on the antenna and on the 3rd break light so you can run what ever you want. Make sence?

Rottenbelly

so this would be ok?

Went to the local auto part store and picked up these 3/4 led lights and wired them up in the spare lugnut holes with quick connectors in case I need my spare.
about 14 bucks and 20 minutes. Had to drill 2 holes for wires and connectors to go thru.
20130930_182007.jpg

noroad

Or use something like this View attachment 54820
Cut the 3rd break light wires and install those on the all the wires. Male ends on the antenna and on the 3rd break light so you can run what ever you want. Make sence?

O ya i have used these on other lighting but i just dont know the voltage limit and where the third brake light fuse would be. i dont need a wire going up in flams like what happened in my yj.

JKWrang

I'm guessing if the light is seperate from the antenna, you wouldn't damage anything. You'll be okay!

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

noroad

I'm guessing if the light is seperate from the antenna, you wouldn't damage anything. You'll be okay!

ya but if the third brake light is sending to much power it might have a problem with the lights on the antenna if they are over max voltage causing heat and possable fire.

GuillaumeC91

I'm sure it would be fine. It's made to run on a 12 volt system which means it's good for a vehicle circuit. Off your battery will put out 11+/- volts and on with the help of your alternator you can push 13+/- volts. Thats what the light will operate with.

100 watts P.E.P. Transmit and receive with light on or off also means 100 watts Peak Envelope Power which is the throughput of the antenna itself. This also means that you can "talk" over the air without the light turned on.

That being said, you should be able to simply ground the negative to the body and plug in to the positive of your brake light using a splice connector.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

nbruno

Went to the local auto part store and picked up these 3/4 led lights and wired them up in the spare lugnut holes with quick connectors in case I need my spare.
about 14 bucks and 20 minutes. Had to drill 2 holes for wires and connectors to go thru.
20130930_182007.jpg

Don't know the laws for 3rd brake lights in my own state of Md let alone anywhere else, but aren't the third brake lights supposed to be mounted higher up on the vehicle like what would be in plain sight if you were looking at the rear window? Like I said I have no idea but was considering doing the leds on the spare's lug nut holes and I'm questioning whether that is a legal location.

Thanks for any guidance on this.

Ed Lapadura

Here's how I did nine

Sent from my LG-P659 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1383144669377.jpg
    1383144669377.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 1383144680380.jpg
    1383144680380.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 143

Rottenbelly

Don't know the laws for 3rd brake lights in my own state of Md let alone anywhere else, but aren't the third brake lights supposed to be mounted higher up on the vehicle like what would be in plain sight if you were looking at the rear window? Like I said I have no idea but was considering doing the leds on the spare's lug nut holes and I'm questioning whether that is a legal location.

Thanks for any guidance on this.

Im sure the law varies state to state. I didnt even run them in Mississippi.
Recently moved to Utah and had to have them to pass inspection. It passed, so im happy with them.
With a 37 on the back it would have to be almost on my roof for a close following car to see. These are about eye level to the average car.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Im sure the law varies state to state. I didnt even run them in Mississippi.
Recently moved to Utah and had to have them to pass inspection. It passed, so im happy with them.
With a 37 on the back it would have to be almost on my roof for a close following car to see. These are about eye level to the average car.

im in PA and currently i dont have a third brake light on my jeep. My stepdad is a cheif of police and said a cop will not bother you for no 3rd brake light (this has held true for the past 3 months or so) he did say that for inspection i will need to find a way to wire it up so i can pass. other than that its not needed

JKWrang

im in PA and currently i dont have a third brake light on my jeep. My stepdad is a cheif of police and said a cop will not bother you for no 3rd brake light (this has held true for the past 3 months or so) he did say that for inspection i will need to find a way to wire it up so i can pass. other than that its not needed

He lives in MA where they'll pull you over for dealer license plats brackets being 1% out of regulation. :banghead:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
He lives in MA where they'll pull you over for dealer license plats brackets being 1% out of regulation. :banghead:

Lol yea I saw I was trying to give an example of how they differ state by state

Sent from my iPhone

horse

LOSER
Any lights near or on your antenna will render the antenna useless when the light is energized

catahoula

Caught the Bug
20130930_182007.jpg

How's about a write up or part numbers for your mod. I like it.

noroad

Any lights near or on your antenna will render the antenna useless when the light is energized

??? really mine works fine now and its inches from the light as is, and i dont think they would make an antenna that didnt work when it is made to light up 100% of the time not just braking.

Rottenbelly

Top Bottom