The WJ called "NIGHTMARE"

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Hey all I'm Randy. My wife and I bought our first Jeep back in the end of September as a winter vehicle and project! We bought a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ, it has the 4.0 straight 6 with the Selec Trac transfer case and was a rebuilt Salvage. I've been putting this build thread off just because it has been what the title says, a nightmare.

We bought the Jeep knowing it had issues and picked it up for cheap...$1400. But it ran and drove decent minus a lifter tick(or so I thought which is part of the reason we call it a nightmare) and shocks were bad. But was actually in really good condition outside and for the most part inside and virtually no rust through the whole unibody. It only had 150,000 miles and considering how cheap it was... we figured what the heck. It has definitely got my wife back and forth during the winter since I have the RAM... But it's been a very controversial and frustrating situation. Whoever had this didn't take good mechanical care of this and being a rebuilt Salvage due to a theft recovery I think it's been through its paces.

I at least wanted to get this build thread started and I will post pictures tomorrow since it's late and I'm tired. I had to do quite a bit of work but enjoyed doing all of it even though we might be getting rid of it so soon. Yes... to possibly buy another WJ but one that is in much better shape. It does have a few more miles but is also a V8. Same year, color and everything but it's a limited edition. And if we do get a new one I'll probably just call it "NIGHTMARE 2" LOL

IMG_20170316_184207767.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
These are always challenging but fun and rewarding in the end. The basic platform is good in a WJ and as long as you don't want to build a giant rock crawler you can do neat stuff on a budget.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
These are always challenging but fun and rewarding in the end. The basic platform is good in a WJ and as long as you don't want to build a giant rock crawler you can do neat stuff on a budget.
Yeah I always like a challenge.... Hell that's how my truck started out. I like the WJ because it is a good cheap base platform to start from and from what I've seen very capable to do what we are wanting to do. The giant rock crawler can come when we build a JK [emoji6]

longarmwj

WJ rock crawler and budget never go together. Believe me, I'm building one :cheesy::cheesy:

Looking forward to this build! Starting to get a good many WJs on here! Pretty soon we're gonna need a Wayalife WJ gathering :thumb:

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
WJ rock crawler and budget never go together. Believe me, I'm building one :cheesy::cheesy:

Looking forward to this build! Starting to get a good many WJs on here! Pretty soon we're gonna need a Wayalife WJ gathering :thumb:

Yeah I will probably use it for a little bit of rock crawling but nothing like what the JK's do. I have seen how expensive some of that stuff can get. The only advantage I have is I can do a lot of fab work and metal work myself since I'm a machinist. But yeah I'm not going to build a giant huge rock crawler out of it. Thank you and I'm looking forward to starting the build as well. Whether we sell this WJ or keep it it will definitely be getting upgraded. Thank God I have an understanding and loving wife who also enjoys this as well! WJCO I think said the same thing to me about all the W J's on here... It's not a JK but I tell you what they seem to have lots of potential! WJ's unite!!!

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
So we're keeping the WJ that we have! Decided to make some leveling spacers at work today. Because the material was free and why not!!. I'm going to be putting a long arm lift kit on it hopefully this summer but for now this will at least accommodate a little larger tire. And at least have a little better stance for now.

IMG_20170525_154412280.jpg

IMG_20170525_161702994.jpg

IMG_20170525_163021331.jpg
First side done...

IMG_20170525_163215775.jpg
IMG_20170525_163557987_HDR.jpg
All finished!

WJCO

Meme King
Glad to hear you're keeping it. Good work on the spacers. What size tires do you plan to run?

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Glad to hear you're keeping it. Good work on the spacers. What size tires do you plan to run?
Thank you and yeah it was just a matter of keeping it or selling it and getting another WJ but I'm glad we're keeping it too! I was actually going to the comb through your thread or ask you, what size can I get away with running with just a leveling kit? That's without wheeling... I was going to try to squeeze 32 inch tires maybe that wasn't sure if that was possible. Only because we're about due for tires and I really don't want to buy a new set and then turn around in a couple months and buy another set after the lift kit is put on. If I have to I'll just put it another set of used tires on that are smaller just to get by until after the lift is put on...

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Whoo hoo!!! Just installed my first lift/leveling kit on a Jeep! Popped my 🍒! I know it's no big deal just felt good! Can't wait for the long arm kit!

Made and installed a 3/4" leveling kit today!

Stock... IMG_20170316_184207767.jpg

Leveling kit... IMG_20170525_202548467.jpg IMG_20170525_202805034.jpg IMG_20170525_202831730_TOP.jpg IMG_20170525_202913892.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I recall this chart or one similar to it when I first bought mine and found it to be semi-accurate. What really sucks is that to fit any larger tire, it usually requires trimming a lot on a WJ. You're going to have to trim anyways eventually, so you might as well now. I honestly think with just a leveling kit, it may be difficult to fit 32s under there. 31s may be more ideal.

NoobLiftComponentChart2.jpg

Also, take a look at Bushwackers trimming video and it will show you where to trim even if you don't do the flares. Just so you have an idea.

EDIT:

Found this pic online. This is supposedly a 2 inch lift with 32s. Also, you will probably have to add some bump stop so the tires don't tear up the fenders and you also might need wheel spacers.

IMG_20130329_143737_986_zps4a00618d.jpg

Last edited:

jamesrw30

I wasn't aware you could fit 31's on a leveling kit without trimming. Mine seem to just fit with the 3 inch lift. I'm sure the tire itself plays a part in that too. Good luck on the WJ!

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
I recall this chart or one similar to it when I first bought mine and found it to be semi-accurate. What really sucks is that to fit any larger tire, it usually requires trimming a lot on a WJ. You're going to have to trim anyways eventually, so you might as well now. I honestly think with just a leveling kit, it may be difficult to fit 32s under there. 31s may be more ideal.

View attachment 260535

Also, take a look at Bushwackers trimming video and it will show you where to trim even if you don't do the flares. Just so you have an idea.

EDIT:

Found this pic online. This is supposedly a 2 inch lift with 32s. Also, you will probably have to add some bump stop so the tires don't tear up the fenders and you also might need wheel spacers.

View attachment 260548

Yeah I figured I was probably shooting pretty high for 32's with a leveling kit LOL I'm just trying to save having to buy multiple sets of tires but that's probably what's going to have to happen. Thank you for the reference on that. Someone had bigger tires on it and I can't remember what they were but they were bigger than stock. Which is partially why I wanted to do the leveling kit right now. And I did watch that video, thank you for that. That's a pretty detailed and informative video.

I was definitely contemplating some fender flares and pretty much already assumed I would have to run a wheel spacers. I think my ultimate goal is to have 32 or 33 inch tires and however wide I can fit. Haven't looked at all the possibilities as far as size but would like to run around that and obviously fairly wide to keep the stance looking good. I just really hate tall skinny tires.

Yeah I saw bump stops you had to add on yours and figured I would have to do the same otherwise I'm going to be cramming into the fender. I'm hoping to go with a rough country 4 inch long arm kit, and while I do know it's a Rough Country lift kit... they're the only ones that offer a reasonable price on the long arms. I just can't justify spending $3k on a Clayton and I know the wife won't go for it. Everything I've read on the Rough Country they have upgraded all there joints to forged Johnny joints just like everyone else is running, and material wise they seem more than beefy.

I have thought about going with Rusty's Offroad or Clayton spring though. I know Rusty's offers a 4.5 inch and a 5.5 in spring I believe and maybe even a 6.5 inch spring. Clayton offers a 4.5 inch and a 6 inch spring. And as far as shocks go I think I'll probably run bielstein or maybe Fox. Unless you have any other recommendations for shocks? Obviously it will be according to whatever spring I get.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions. I'm going to try to sit down this weekend and go through your build thread so as not to have to ask you a lot of repetitive questions.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
I wasn't aware you could fit 31's on a leveling kit without trimming. Mine seem to just fit with the 3 inch lift. I'm sure the tire itself plays a part in that too. Good luck on the WJ!
Yeah I'm thinking that that's not going to be a possibility. I was just trying to avoid having to buy multiple sets of tires but that's probably what's going to have to happen. And definitely going to be doing some trimming it sounds like... Thank you and I'm going to have to check out your build thread now too for advice and info!

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah I figured I was probably shooting pretty high for 32's with a leveling kit LOL I'm just trying to save having to buy multiple sets of tires but that's probably what's going to have to happen. Thank you for the reference on that. Someone had bigger tires on it and I can't remember what they were but they were bigger than stock. Which is partially why I wanted to do the leveling kit right now. And I did watch that video, thank you for that. That's a pretty detailed and informative video.

I was definitely contemplating some fender flares and pretty much already assumed I would have to run a wheel spacers. I think my ultimate goal is to have 32 or 33 inch tires and however wide I can fit. Haven't looked at all the possibilities as far as size but would like to run around that and obviously fairly wide to keep the stance looking good. I just really hate tall skinny tires.

Yeah I saw bump stops you had to add on yours and figured I would have to do the same otherwise I'm going to be cramming into the fender. I'm hoping to go with a rough country 4 inch long arm kit, and while I do know it's a Rough Country lift kit... they're the only ones that offer a reasonable price on the long arms. I just can't justify spending $3k on a Clayton and I know the wife won't go for it. Everything I've read on the Rough Country they have upgraded all there joints to forged Johnny joints just like everyone else is running, and material wise they seem more than beefy.

I have thought about going with Rusty's Offroad or Clayton spring though. I know Rusty's offers a 4.5 inch and a 5.5 in spring I believe and maybe even a 6.5 inch spring. Clayton offers a 4.5 inch and a 6 inch spring. And as far as shocks go I think I'll probably run bielstein or maybe Fox. Unless you have any other recommendations for shocks? Obviously it will be according to whatever spring I get.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions. I'm going to try to sit down this weekend and go through your build thread so as not to have to ask you a lot of repetitive questions.

Biggest advice I can give you on the lift is really research it. Although I know Clayton is very expensive, they have amazing reviews. I have a few of their products and they put a lot of time and quality designing them. I just would hate to see you spend a good chunk of change on a lower quality lift and wish you had spent more the first time. If you go 4 inches, get long arm, I wished I had of. Luckily mine is not a daily driver. WJs aren't cheap to modify if you do it right and it really sucks to spend money twice. But I understand not wanting to spend the 3k for a lift on a vehicle that starts out at those prices used.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Biggest advice I can give you on the lift is really research it. Although I know Clayton is very expensive, they have amazing reviews. I have a few of their products and they put a lot of time and quality designing them. I just would hate to see you spend a good chunk of change on a lower quality lift and wish you had spent more the first time. If you go 4 inches, get long arm, I wished I had of. Luckily mine is not a daily driver. WJs aren't cheap to modify if you do it right and it really sucks to spend money twice. But I understand not wanting to spend the 3k for a lift on a vehicle that starts out at those prices used.

While I have done quite a bit of research... And the rough country is far better than what they used to be as far as my particular lift goes and it does seem to be just as beefy as the other ones I've compared it to, I know Clayton is the best of the best at least for the WJ. And I've read the same reviews to, Clayton is exceptional period I actually talked to the owner one day when I called to ask about it for about half an hour and I was convinced I was getting a Clayton lift. And had it just been all we would have to do is put a lift kit and tires on it I wouldn't blink an eye at buying the Clayton. But considering I'm buying a parts vehicle even though I can resell it along with having to put either a new motor or money into the motor and this and that... it's just adding up quickly.

I will definitely go with a long arm, that's part of the reason why I'm thinking the Rough Country because they are one of the few that offer a long arm. Everyone else is in the $2,500 to $3,000 range. Yes I agree totally it sucks spending the money twice. I will definitely give the Clayton more consideration but it will just come down to what the wife will agree to. Another reason I'm thinking of doing the springs and shocks from a different company is because I've heard Rough Country springs and shocks don't ride very well and don't hold up. Thanks for all the input! [emoji482]

Top Bottom