The rise of the Pooper (aka Mocha)

Ddays

Hooked
Looking good! Now that you've got your badass Kings on just in time for the winter road salt season, a good way to keep them decent is to coat them with a good spray wax. I sprayed the living shit out of mine. And do it often, like every time it's going to snow and you know they're gonna throw down the salt. It really helped mine to stay pretty nice.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Like Ddays said you need to spray them with a wax. I shot mine with a clear coat prior to installing them but even that blew off after a few months in Michigan winters and the spray waxed them every time I washed it. The rear shocks take the brunt of it. The fronts still look good.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Like Ddays said you need to spray them with a wax. I shot mine with a clear coat prior to installing them but even that blew off after a few months in Michigan winters and the spray waxed them every time I washed it. The rear shocks take the brunt of it. The fronts still look good.

Looking good! Now that you've got your badass Kings on just in time for the winter road salt season, a good way to keep them decent is to coat them with a good spray wax. I sprayed the living shit out of mine. And do it often, like every time it's going to snow and you know they're gonna throw down the salt. It really helped mine to stay pretty nice.

Any specific kind you guys are using or just a spray wax from the car wash section? Would be nice to keep my coilovers looking shiny. And is there anything I should avoid coating?

Ddays

Hooked

wjtstudios

Hooked
Any specific kind you guys are using or just a spray wax from the car wash section? Would be nice to keep my coilovers looking shiny. And is there anything I should avoid coating?

I use the same mothers that I use on the body of the Jeep. Coil overs are going to be tough with the spring in the way. I’d just soak them and hope for the best.

Honestly, that was my #1 reason not to do coil overs yet. I still am daily driving it and hated the idea of destroying them with salt. Now that it’s going to become less of a daily, I hope to move up to them next year if all continues to go well.

I use the same mothers that I use on the body of the Jeep. Coil overs are going to be tough with the spring in the way. I’d just soak them and hope for the best.

Honestly, that was my #1 reason not to do coil overs yet. I still am daily driving it and hated the idea of destroying them with salt. Now that it’s going to become less of a daily, I hope to move up to them next year if all continues to go well.

Yeah my other thought was whether the wax would prevent them from sliding but I should be able to at least do the threads. And I believe they’re anodized so should be less at risk for rust ... or am I completely wrong?

mstraw9379

Great advice, guys.
I'm going to get the coated before the winter sets in.

She's off the lift and over to get new tires. Drive ok the 8 miles over to the tire place. My stearing is way off.

Great advice, guys.
I'm going to get the coated before the winter sets in.

She's off the lift and over to get new tires. Drive ok the 8 miles over to the tire place. My stearing is way off.

Wheel is easy to recent with the front end alignment write up on here.

And better hurry... getting flurries up here in Morris County this morning.

mstraw9379

Here's another round of pictures.
Spacers
1110180929.jpg

Front put back together.
1110180929a.jpg

Back on the ground.
1110181020.jpg

1110181021.jpg

Steering wheel with wheels straight.
1110181111.jpg

Getting 35” tires and alignment right now.

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Yeah my other thought was whether the wax would prevent them from sliding but I should be able to at least do the threads. And I believe they’re anodized so should be less at risk for rust ... or am I completely wrong?

Salt will corrode the aluminum right through the anodizing that’s applied mostly for aesthetics. Mil spec anodizing would hold up but nobody wants that because it’s not pretty.

JKbrick

I wonder how that wd40 long term storage spray coating would work? It’s really thick, and you can just reapply it often

Ddays

Hooked
I wonder how that wd40 long term storage spray coating would work? It’s really thick, and you can just reapply it often

That was what I was going to do this winter once I got the chance to give mine a good cleaning. Or maybe Fluid Film. Both would work well I'd imagine.

Also - one coating of that spray wax won't be enough - you'll have to keep after them all Winter long. I spray mine off good at the local carwash after every trip in the nasty salt and once they're dry I spray again. Sucks but if you don't they'll look like shut. :grayno:

JKbrick

That was what I was going to do this winter once I got the chance to give mine a good cleaning. Or maybe Fluid Film. Both would work well I'd imagine.

Also - one coating of that spray wax won't be enough - you'll have to keep after them all Winter long. I spray mine off good at the local carwash after every trip in the nasty salt and once they're dry I spray again. Sucks but if you don't they'll look like shut. :grayno:

I don’t have kings but I think the fox are aluminum, I’m just thankful I don’t have to drive the Jeep if I don’t have to, do I avoid the salt. Will go out in the snow till I see the plows out then shoot home

Yeah gonna be ordering some of the fluid film along with my gear oil. Figure I’ll hit what I can and after this winter see where the problems are. One winter on my previous lift and the shocks especially looked like garbage. I’ll say it seemed to be mostly run off from the bolts tho

mstraw9379

Well, a little delay getting some more pictures up. The mechanic gods weren't happy because I didn't draw any blood. No busted knuckles or anything. So my tablet paid the price. So the difference is, for some reason, my phone puts pictures sideways and the tablet puts them right.

mstraw9379

I'm finally home, just drove about 180 miles on the new tires and lift. I'm very pleased overall.

Just before they backed her out after mounting tires.
1110181320_HDR.jpg

Finished (almost, still need to mount the LOD Signature Series sliders)
1110181525.jpg

1110181526.jpg

1110181546.jpg

Top Bottom