The Return of Big Black

benatc1

Hooked
There are good dentless paint guys out there who can do a pretty good job at addressing scratches like this too. Might be worth looking into over a body shop. And actually, some body shops employ the same techniques. With good touch up paint, the right equipment and skill, you can totally do it yourself.
I’ve always done little touch ups in not so visible areas, so it’s funny you say that, as I was researching this myself this morning, it looks like 3/4 of the scratch is pretty superficial, but the last quarter looks a little deeper. I may try and buff out what I can, and then, get some supplies and touch up/polish what’s left. I’ve used the company touch up direct in the past as they seem to have pretty good touch up options, paint match, ect. Have had some for all the Jeeps I’ve had so, needless to say I have some options on the garage 😂, but do have the paint code touch up I need as in happened to buy one, just in case, when I was getting some for my truck not to long ago.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve always done little touch ups in not so visible areas, so it’s funny you say that, as I was researching this myself this morning, it looks like 3/4 of the scratch is pretty superficial, but the last quarter looks a little deeper. I may try and buff out what I can, and then, get some supplies and touch up/polish what’s left. I’ve used the company touch up direct in the past as they seem to have pretty good touch up options, paint match, ect. Have had some for all the Jeeps I’ve had so, needless to say I have some options on the garage 😂, but do have the paint code touch up I need as in happened to buy one, just in case, when I was getting some for my truck not to long ago.
The toughest part is that the scratch is in a highly visible area. Otherwise, I've been able to remove big scratches with primer, touch up and color sanding and to a point where I think it came out great. I would just hate to screw something up, especially on the hood.

That said, I think polish and buffing will probably work out well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if they're the same place you buy from but I've used these guys in the past and the quality was really good.

benatc1

Hooked
The toughest part is that the scratch is in a highly visible area. Otherwise, I've been able to remove big scratches with primer, touch up and color sanding and to a point where I think it came out great. I would just hate to screw something up, especially on the hood.

That said, I think polish and buffing will probably work out well.
That’s my biggest worry, but I guess if I really screw it up I can take to shop then

benatc1

Hooked
Not sure if they're the same place you buy from but I've used these guys in the past and the quality was really good.
Good to know, I think it’s different but always good to have options! Thanks for sharing

benatc1

Hooked
Just a little update here, decided to give this scratch repair a run myself, didn’t actually take any pics along the way but I got the stuff Kirk recommended and it didn’t touch the scratch slot was definitely deep, I decided to try to touch up, sand/polish and I pretty glad I did, it took a lot of time but the scratch can only be seen from certain angles of light and def can’t see it unless your looking for it. I finished the the buff/polish with the stuff Kirk recommended and it’s cleaned it up nicely, will put a coat of polish on it again but overall I think it came out well, and def good enough. Here are some pics from the same angels as before.

Attachments

• 135E0B0C-BB39-4F0C-8FBC-4B309A7D1F16.jpeg
    135E0B0C-BB39-4F0C-8FBC-4B309A7D1F16.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 3581584C-EA80-4DEE-91D0-5F7FA1AD19A6.jpeg
    3581584C-EA80-4DEE-91D0-5F7FA1AD19A6.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 23

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just a little update here, decided to give this scratch repair a run myself, didn’t actually take any pics along the way but I got the stuff Kirk recommended and it didn’t touch the scratch slot was definitely deep, I decided to try to touch up, sand/polish and I pretty glad I did, it took a lot of time but the scratch can only be seen from certain angles of light and def can’t see it unless your looking for it. I finished the the buff/polish with the stuff Kirk recommended and it’s cleaned it up nicely, will put a coat of polish on it again but overall I think it came out well, and def good enough. Here are some pics from the same angels as before.
Wow!! That came out great!! Good job (y)

benatc1

Hooked
Decided to not worry about the snow today and got my bumpers/winch installed. Saved the Evo Alumalite front bumper, winch, and lights from my gladiator, then added the rear matching Alumalite and some diode dynamics rear lights. Lights not wired up yet as I still need to install the switch pros, and CB bar.

Attachments

• 538A3ED0-BB63-4CCC-834C-59C5EF5DC1E4.jpeg
    538A3ED0-BB63-4CCC-834C-59C5EF5DC1E4.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 84151D50-5A4B-4B8A-8C3B-547C203A6CD6.jpeg
    84151D50-5A4B-4B8A-8C3B-547C203A6CD6.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 21
  • BFB040C2-41C4-4DA7-B51D-C8365CF62CD1.jpeg
    BFB040C2-41C4-4DA7-B51D-C8365CF62CD1.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 7D0D72D0-0CB0-4819-8989-453275D0ADB0.jpeg
    7D0D72D0-0CB0-4819-8989-453275D0ADB0.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 2CDE294D-6CEC-4A2A-8032-8DC97497F1FB.jpeg
    2CDE294D-6CEC-4A2A-8032-8DC97497F1FB.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 21

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Decided to not worry about the snow today and got my bumpers/winch installed. Saved the Evo Alumalite front bumper, winch, and lights from my gladiator, then added the rear matching Alumalite and some diode dynamics rear lights. Lights not wired up yet as I still need to install the switch pros, and CB bar.
LOL - I'm glad I'm not the only one who said, screw the snow!

Looks great!! (y)

Top Bottom