The Return of Big Black

benatc1

Hooked
How about a little more lift… long arm… cheap shocks for now and 38’s. Then Upgrade steering components as they wear.

that’s a good idea, was actually debating this, as is would definitely be a mod that would hold for anything in the future, but I’ll prob just do stage 1 with the overland brackets to help keep the cost down for now, but it’s def not off the table, I really don’t want to invest in the cost of control arm off they are not the end goal.

benatc1

Hooked
Not gonna lie, if you're thinking about 38's, I would do it. Yeah, costs stupid more and more than even a set of 40's but it's about as close as you can get to 40's without needing 1-tons. I actually think that 5.13's are a better match for 38's than 37's too.
That’s kinda what I was thinking too, and 5.13s for sure, fortunately my dad can help me install so should only be cost of parts for gears.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s kinda what I was thinking too, and 5.13s for sure, fortunately my dad can help me install so should only be cost of parts for gears.
That's awesome and free labor is a HUGE savings. That would definitely help pay for the tires (y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s a good point! You have any thoughts on the ridge grappler 38x12.5 vs trail grappler 38x13.5?
So, as you know, I've run 38" Ridge Grapplers and loved them enough that I got them again for our 392. I found the load range C they have to offer a really comfortable ride and being that most of how we intend to use our 392 will be on pavement, I feel that the narrower width is helpful to have as well if only to help reduce rolling resistance and thereby, offer better mpg. Obviously, I really love trail grapplers and have them on Moby and our Gladiator but then, they're built to play. For that, I really like the extra width as I like that they offer more of a footprint on the rocks. So, I think it really just depends on what you're needing your tires to do for you.

benatc1

Hooked
So, as you know, I've run 38" Ridge Grapplers and loved them enough that I got them again for our 392. I found the load range C they have to offer a really comfortable ride and being that most of how we intend to use our 392 will be on pavement, I feel that the narrower width is helpful to have as well if only to help reduce rolling resistance and thereby, offer better mpg. Obviously, I really love trail grapplers and have them on Moby and our Gladiator but then, they're built to play. For that, I really like the extra width as I like that they offer more of a footprint on the rocks. So, I think it really just depends on what you're needing your tires to do for you.
Well put, I definitely will be doing more paver than dirt, regardless of what I may think. But certainly want great traction off road, which I believe the ridge grapplers also provide. Ridge grappler is definitely a balanced tire.

benatc1

Hooked
Picked up this Roam XL Roof top tent over the winter, first time putting it on the jeep, didn’t want to drill top so Im giving these exposed racks a try. I’ll get a few more pics close up but they seem to be pretty good so far, exited to use the tent on mild trips, plenty of room in there for the whole family too. Only problem is, I have it hanging from my garage ceiling and even with my stock configuration, I only have about 4 inches of clearance going out the door. So with 3-4 inches of lift and 38s (assuming that’s what I actually do) I might not make it out. So seriously considering Accuair now, or else I’ll just have to air all the way down every time. Time will tell.

Attachments

• IMG_5400.jpeg
    IMG_5400.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 23

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Picked up this Roam XL Roof top tent over the winter, first time putting it on the jeep, didn’t want to drill top so Im giving these exposed racks a try. I’ll get a few more pics close up but they seem to be pretty good so far, exited to use the tent on mild trips, plenty of room in there for the whole family too. Only problem is, I have it hanging from my garage ceiling and even with my stock configuration, I only have about 4 inches of clearance going out the door. So with 3-4 inches of lift and 38s (assuming that’s what I actually do) I might not make it out. So seriously considering Accuair now, or else I’ll just have to air all the way down every time. Time will tell.
Can you not mount it at the front of your garage (back the jeep in) when you take it off and then pull into the garage when you park? Like a 69 but with your jeep and tent.

That is a really high-profile tent! Do you plan to leave it on all the time? How often will you use it?

benatc1

Hooked
That is a really high-profile tent! Do you plan to leave it on all the time? How often will you use it?
Yea it’s a big ass tent, plus the rack makes it a little higher than I’d like, but pretty easy on/offs I will not be leaving it on unless I’m going to use it. Have a power lift set up in the garage. Probably use it a couple times a month here and there, until winter. But on/off rack is super easy.

jeeeep

Hooked
Yea it’s a big ass tent, plus the rack makes it a little higher than I’d like, but pretty easy on/offs I will not be leaving it on unless I’m going to use it. Have a power lift set up in the garage. Probably use it a couple times a month here and there, until winter. But on/off rack is super easy.
what rack did you go with? how's the road noise?

benatc1

Hooked
what rack did you go with? how's the road noise?
Exposed racks, I’ll get some more pics today. Basically a weight distribution cross bar system. But avoids having to drill through the top. Only ran it on a short trip and had my half doors/no upper on so couldn’t get much of an idea with road noise yet. Will update when put the full doors back on

benatc1

Hooked
Few updates..

here are some pics of the exposed rack system, seems to be holding up well with the weight of the tent, with all the rain we have been getting i put the full doors back on and have yet to run it without the tent, so road noise with the tent is definitely considerable going down the highway but no report for rack only yet.

Also was able to sneak out with my daughter last night for a quick camp “dry” run (it rained). Tent was an easy set up, and really comfortable/dry, save from the element. Def feel the weight in my stock suspension going down the trail. Mild trail but definitely flexed out a bunch. Overall a success.

Also, got my radio wired up finally, and EVO MFG trie carrier installed that’s been sitting around. Thanks for the install video Eddie, Factory tire does not fit, so had to grab a wheel spacer from summit for the time being, it’s Tereflex so if anyone sees a spare tire tire rolling down the highway it’s probably mine. But this will hold be over till I pull the trigger on some bigger things. Still dragging my feet.

Attachments

• IMG_5447.jpeg
    IMG_5447.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5450.jpeg
    IMG_5450.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5451.jpeg
    IMG_5451.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5453.jpeg
    IMG_5453.jpeg