The PRICE of a Wrangler Over the Years

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In lieu of Cindy and I buying a new 2-door Jeep Wrangler Sport, I decided to do some looking and thought it would be interesting to show what a Wrangler would have cost over they years. Of course, the first Wrangler was the YJ and back in 1987, the base price for one was just $8995. Of course, it came with half doors, a soft top and no AC.
88-YJ-COMMERCIAL.jpg

When the TJ Wrangler was introduced in 1997, the base price for it was just $13,995. About $5,000 more than the YJ and again, that was with half doors, a soft top and no AC.
97-TJ-COMMERCIAL.jpg

I couldn't find a good commercial showing how much a JK Wrangler cost back in 2007 but I can tell you that it was $18,675 for a base model 2-Door X and $22,410 for a 4-Door Unlimited. AC still wasn't a standard feature but full doors were and again, we were looking at just a $5,000 increase over the model before.

As much as I love Jeep Wranglers, I have to say that the price of them today is a bit obscene. Even back when Cindy and I were tight on cash, a Wrangler was still something that we saw as being attainable. Certainly, Jeep was always good about offering an entry level option that most could afford such as an SE with a 2.5L under the hood. Sure, I get there's inflation to take into consideration and I know that there's a big demand for them today but $30k for a base model 2-Door (more than $10k what a JK) is somewhat insulting especially for what little you get. I mean, we literally paid $29k for Moby back in 2007 and he was a fully loaded Rubicon Unlimited with dual tops. If we were in the same shoes today that we were in back when we got our first Jeep, I'm not sure we would have bought it. At least, I don't think we could have afforded it. And, I think that's a shame. Had we not gotten our first Jeep, I'm not sure we would have bought all the ones that came after it.

Ddays

Hooked
Jeeps profit margin on these has to be a retarded amount. I mean, exposed hinges, panel gap variances in the half inch range, inconsistent quality, leaking tops, blah, blah, blah. It's incredible. The 392 Rubicon listing at $75k Just insane. :sick: But they are just so damn cool that it doesn't matter. Crazy.

I do see the Bronco taking a significant chunk out of the Wranglers ass though. The casual wheeler or camper or just someone that wants the look of a rugged vehicle will flock to them. Hopefully Jeep takes the challenge and bumps quality. Would be really cool if they used the Grand Cherokee to take on the Bronco instead of the Wrangler.

Elroy231

I'm probably in a long line to say that I'm greatful that you and Cindy got that first jeep and the rest that came after.
That is some pretty interesting research you've done. Give them less and charge more doesn't seam like a sound business route to take. 🤔

WJCO

Meme King
In lieu of Cindy and I buying a new 2-door Jeep Wrangler Sport, I decided to do some looking and thought it would be interesting to show what a Wrangler would have cost over they years. Of course, the first Wrangler was the YJ and back in 1987, the base price for one was just $8995. Of course, it came with half doors, a soft top and no AC.

When the TJ Wrangler was introduced in 1997, the base price for it was just $13,995. About $5,000 more than the YJ and again, that was with half doors, a soft top and no AC.

I couldn't find a good commercial showing how much a JK Wrangler cost back in 2007 but I can tell you that it was $18,675 for a base model 2-Door X and $22,410 for a 4-Door Unlimited. AC still wasn't a standard feature but full doors were and again, we were looking at just a $5,000 increase over the model before.

As much as I love Jeep Wranglers, I have to say that the price of them today is a bit obscene. Even back when Cindy and I were tight on cash, a Wrangler was still something that we saw as being attainable. Certainly, Jeep was always good about offering an entry level option that most could afford such as an SE with a 2.5L under the hood. Sure, I get there's inflation to take into consideration and I know that there's a big demand for them today but $30k for a base model 2-Door (more than $10k what a JK) is somewhat insulting especially for what little you get. I mean, we literally paid $29k for Moby back in 2007 and he was a fully loaded Rubicon Unlimited with dual tops. If we were in the same shoes today that we were in back when we got our first Jeep, I'm not sure we would have bought it. At least, I don't think we could have afforded it. And, I think that's a shame. Had we not gotten our first Jeep, I'm not sure we would have bought all the ones that came after it.
But experts say there's no inflation.....

Robar

The Enforcer
I think all the modernization and Federal guidelines have a lot to do with the price. Jeeps were utility vehicles without all the EPA, smog, MPG, and safety regulations. Jeep added a lot of comfort creature accessories also to open up the customer base. You wouldn't find many "soccer moms" driving a 4 door Jeep without A/C.
Truth is I expect to buy a Jeep with heated seats and steering wheel.

Jeeps profit margin on these has to be a retarded amount. I mean, exposed hinges, panel gap variances in the half inch range, inconsistent quality, leaking tops, blah, blah, blah. It's incredible. The 392 Rubicon listing at $75k Just insane. :sick: But they are just so damn cool that it doesn't matter. Crazy.

I do see the Bronco taking a significant chunk out of the Wranglers ass though. The casual wheeler or camper or just someone that wants the look of a rugged vehicle will flock to them. Hopefully Jeep takes the challenge and bumps quality. Would be really cool if they used the Grand Cherokee to take on the Bronco instead of the Wrangler.
quote-you-may-be-wrong-but-you-may-be-right-billy-joel-99-81-02.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I'm with you on this. For what you get, the amount that Jeep charges for a Wrangler is just stupid. There are so many other vehicles you can get that are far nicer in quality and for less money and even in their own family. A fully loaded Subaru Forester cost less than a base model 2-door JL Sport and there is no comparison in quality. For most, it's more than they need. It is my sincerest hope that Bronco hurts Wrangler sales if only to get Jeep to rethink their line up. It's great that they have expensive options like the 392 but it would also be nice if they offered something more attainable to most.
I'm probably in a long line to say that I'm greatful that you and Cindy got that first jeep and the rest that came after.
That is some pretty interesting research you've done. Give them less and charge more doesn't seam like a sound business route to take. 🤔
They do it because they can. Up until now, they were the only game in town and they couldn't keep up with orders. If they aren't careful, I think it's gonna bite them in the ass.
But experts say there's no inflation.....
Of course there isn't. LOL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great post and something I bring up all the time. The price of vehicles and especially Jeeps is absolutely insane.
It really is out of control but I'm always surprised at how little some vehicles are even to this day. You can still buy a brand new Nissan Versa for just $15k. That's not a whole lot different than what something like it would have cost 10 years ago or more.

I think all the modernization and Federal guidelines have a lot to do with the price. Jeeps were utility vehicles without all the EPA, smog, MPG, and safety regulations. Jeep added a lot of comfort creature accessories also to open up the customer base. You wouldn't find many "soccer moms" driving a 4 door Jeep without A/C.
Truth is I expect to buy a Jeep with heated seats and steering wheel.
I'm sure that has a lot to do with the price increase but I have a hard time believing that it account for all of it. Again, I love Jeeps and love that they offer so many more options than ever before - most of which I LOVE in my JL and JT and happy to have, I just wish Jeep would also offer a Wrangler that a kid fresh out of college can afford.

I'm sure that has a lot to do with the price increase but I have a hard time believing that it account for all of it. Again, I love Jeeps and love that they offer so many more options than ever before - most of which I LOVE in my JL and JT and happy to have, I just wish Jeep would also offer a Wrangler that a kid fresh out of college can afford.
Exactly! I'd like to add though that I am 18 and a senior in high school. I got a job as soon as turned 16 and worked my ass off for 2 whole years to buy my JK. It's a 2018 and has a few options so it came out right around $30k. I think anyone can achieve anything if they have the drive and put their mind to it, but yes it was a long haul and certainly worse than my TJ that was $10k secondhand. The value they hold is immaculate.

J&k_Overland

Great post. The stepson and his fiancée are in the market for a new vehicle and almost everything is outside their price range it’s insane. People used to buy pickups cause they were cheap now they cost as much as high end cars. It’s insane. Was looking at the bronco sport the other day and it’s starting at 28k with 4wd and some nice options definitely a challenge to Jeep I think.

KevinG

Caught the Bug
I'm with you on this. For what you get, the amount that Jeep charges for a Wrangler is just stupid. There are so many other vehicles you can get that are far nicer in quality and for less money and even in their own family. A fully loaded Subaru Forester cost less than a base model 2-door JL Sport and there is no comparison in quality. For most, it's more than they need. It is my sincerest hope that Bronco hurts Wrangler sales if only to get Jeep to rethink their line up. It's great that they have expensive options like the 392 but it would also be nice if they offered something more attainable to most.
After working for a few manufacturers over the last decade and a half, the year over year price increases can be insane. Subaru is one that has been super consistent over the last ten years or so.
The last "new" Jeep we bought was an 06 LJ. I bought it in mid, but I recall the MSRP being in the neighborhood of $26000. Crazy to see that the JK's were not too much more back then.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 11

J&k_Overland

After working for a few manufacturers over the last decade and a half, the year over year price increases can be insane. Subaru is one that has been super consistent over the last ten years or so.
The last "new" Jeep we bought was an 06 LJ. I bought it in mid, but I recall the MSRP being in the neighborhood of $26000. Crazy to see that the JK's were not too much more back then.
I’ve seen LJs selling now for 23-26k. Those things are insanely pricey

KevinG

Caught the Bug
I’ve seen LJs selling now for 23-26k. Those things are insanely pricey
Lol I really wish I had kept it. Had it for 10 years and 180k really fun, very memorable miles. Don't get me wrong I am super happy with what I have now, but I really miss that one.

Brute

Hooked
It's what the market can bear...over the years, several foreign entities have bought Chrysler/Jeep...not because they wanted Chrysler. Wranglers sell, and sell well. Jeep doesn't see it as broken, so why fix it?...

To several post's point, Ford invented Bronco to directly compete with Jeep...perhaps it will again.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I was just thinking about this the other day… back in 2011 when I bought my first wrangler (thanks to your videos), I could’ve sworn there were rubicon unlimited for sale around the $32-33k mark at the dealer in San Diego. I could be wrong but I remember it wasn’t much more than I paid for my sport at the time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds about right to me. Seemed like a lot to me then but it made getting a JK that much easier.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's what the market can bear...over the years, several foreign entities have bought Chrysler/Jeep...not because they wanted Chrysler. Wranglers sell, and sell well. Jeep doesn't see it as broken, so why fix it?...

To several post's point, Ford invented Bronco to directly compete with Jeep...perhaps it will again.
Well, I for one would love nothing more than to see that happen.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was just thinking about this the other day… back in 2011 when I bought my first wrangler (thanks to your videos), I could’ve sworn there were rubicon unlimited for sale around the $32-33k mark at the dealer in San Diego. I could be wrong but I remember it wasn’t much more than I paid for my sport at the time.
Yup, I believe we paid about that much for Rubicat and she had everything except for a dual top. Of course, we bought Nemo, a 4-door X for just $22k out the door.

Top Bottom