The One That Got Away :-(

Astroman

Fueled by this forum and all the fantastic jeeping adventures documented herein, I've been dying to get a JK and start enjoying off-roading adventures firsthand. So for the past year I've been searching for a used JK, preferably one that had already been modified with lift, wheels, etc. Since ebay has been very good to me for all my other major purchases (3 autos and high-end mountain bikes) I spent considerable time sifting through listings there and then two weeks ago, this comes along:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rubi...=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_628wt_1182/

Wow -- low starting bid and NO RESERVE! SO -- at T-30 seconds to auction close, I launched my max bid, and immediately a bidding war erupted (just as I'd predicted), but I ultimately prevailed......winning the auction by a mere $1.00

Within minutes of auction close, the seller and I had a very cordial conversation on the phone -- he congratulated me, remarking how exciting the auction was in the final seconds and that he was being contacted by non-winning bidders offering more money. Nonetheless, the seller said he had to abide by ebay rules and sell the vehicle to me. Awesome, right? Sadly, no. The seller would not return my calls the next day to respond to my requests for his bank payoff info (my bank required it in order to issue a certified cashiers check). He has broken off contact and ebay is powerless to force the seller to complete the transaction. Seller even had the audacity to open a non-payment case against me today, but still won't acknowledge my requests to make payment :mad:

So the search continues for my JK.....

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That sucks! That is a nice looking Jeep for a good price! I would open up a claim against him especially if you have the funds to cover it. I can't see ebay siding with him but I also can't see them getting you the jeep either. Good luck with your dispute and in the search for a new JK.

Welcome to Wayalife!:standing wave:

JaySC

Damn, that's pretty messed up. It is a great looking jeep...hopefully, things work out well for you. When one door closes...

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Wow that's really too bad. The seller should be ashamed of themselves. I agree with Overlander JK I would definitely open up an eBay complaint. Won't help much but hopefully prevent them from doing this non sense in the future.

That's a really nice rig, too bad the seller isn't a man of his word.

bl17z90

Thats too bad, but then again if it didn't work out there is a reason. The guy may have been selling a Jeep with some underlying issues and a lot of jeep dealers are starting to sell Jeeps with lifts and tires already installed. Maybe go try that route?

Astroman

Damn, that's pretty messed up. It is a great looking jeep...hopefully, things work out well for you. When one door closes...

Thats too bad, but then again if it didn't work out there is a reason. The guy may have been selling a Jeep with some underlying issues and a lot of jeep dealers are starting to sell Jeeps with lifts and tires already installed. Maybe go try that route?

You know, you guys reinforce something I truly believe in -- things happen (or don't) for a reason. Seems that whenever I didn't get something I asked for, something better came along! Some leads have already popped up in the local market which look like sweet deals. If any pan out, I'll be posting pics here!

Cheers,

-jim

TheMikeD

That sucks! Someday you will see the guy who ended up with it all broken down on the trail. karma...

:rock:

Jersey_Devil

That Sux, but there's plenty of modded jeeps out there.... File the dispute against him.... Doubt ull get the jeep but if u have the money the one he filed against us won't stick

OllllO Fanatic

Astroman, I see your from the bay area, but if your up to travel to buy one, and if not I believe they ship you could try collins brothers jeeps in Texas. They are pretty close to the Dallas are. They sell some pretty nice Jeeps. Also select jeep in souther Texas has a few as well. Check them out and let me know what you think.

JKBANDIT55

Wow man, Im sorry to hear that.

I guess my question is, if your willing to spend that much on a used jeep, why not just get a 2012 or a 2013 with lifts already on them new off the lot? I know A lot of dealers are now selling NEW jeeps lifted with tires and wheels for about the same price as the one you bid on. Also, you get to keep the factory warranty if you buy it lifted from the dealer.

Another thing to be aware of. If your buying a used jeep thats already built up like that, you really don't know what its been through. The previous owner more than likely wheeled the heck out of it and put some wear and tear on a lot of the components. Not knowing if he has a complete lift kit with all the extra bits and pieces to make sure the jeep is properly set up. If not you can be looking at a lot of money in fixing down the road when they fail.

I always tell people in the market for a used jeep to be very cautious, especially if its from a private owner.

Good luck!

Sucks that you missed that one.

However I would suggest you buy a stock jeep. That way you can make it yours, also you know that quality parts are being put on it. The best way to bond with your rig is to grow with it. I purposely looked for a 07-08 JKU that was stock for this reason. Most people that modify jeeps do it for looks, or they don't know what they are doing and mess some things up. Just my :twocents:

On the other side. Welcome to Wayalife

Astroman

Good advice....

Sucks that you missed that one.

However I would suggest you buy a stock jeep. That way you can make it yours, also you know that quality parts are being put on it. The best way to bond with your rig is to grow with it. I purposely looked for a 07-08 JKU that was stock for this reason. Most people that modify jeeps do it for looks, or they don't know what they are doing and mess some things up. Just my :twocents:

On the other side. Welcome to Wayalife

Over the last week or so, I've come to the same conclusion. I don't think I'd appreciate a built JK as much without first experiencing the baseline capabilities of the stock vehicle. Each new mod would be another revelation in performance improvement and I can tailor that evolution as my particular wants/desires mature along the way.

Thanks for the insight.

-jim

t0fudelivery

^^I completely agree

Damn, sorry to hear that happened to you...ebay USERS can be so sketchy sometimes. Why dont you just pick up a stock JKU Rubi and do the work yourself? I find there is more pleasure in owning a vehicle and modifying it yourself vs having it come as a whole package upon purchase.

Cali Cosmos

That seller obviously hasn't figured out the whole "it's a Jeep thing" so he obviously "doesn't understand." And just like anything else. Just be patient and you'll find what you are really looking for!

Top Bottom