The Dangers of Thinking....

Rayz

So I'm sitting there looking at my truck-96 ram 4x4, then at my jeep-'10 JK sport, truck has d44 front, jeep has d30 front, truck does not offroad,(except some forest/ fire roads), jeep does , so can the axles be swapped? and is this feasible in a cost effective sort of way?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy: I love it!! A couple of things you will need to know is that your truck axle will be wider than your JK axle and so if you don't upgrade your rear as well, it's stance will be visibly narrower. Second, you will need to figure out how to get a JK tone ring and speed sensor installed on your truck axle. Without it, your ESP/BAS will have a fit and your dash will light up like a Christmas tree. You're at least lucky that you have a 10. If you had a 12 or newer, you wouldn't even be able to drive your Jeep without them. Aside from that, you will need to have new brackets installed and will need a new front drive shaft. It'd be a project and I don't know how much it'd be worth to do to just have a Dana 44.

David1tontj

So I'm sitting there looking at my truck-96 ram 4x4, then at my jeep-'10 JK sport, truck has d44 front, jeep has d30 front, truck does not offroad,(except some forest/ fire roads), jeep does , so can the axles be swapped? and is this feasible in a cost effective sort of way?

If you decided to swap in the non-jk axle (basically a junkyard axle), there is so much cutting/fabricating/welding that you would be way better off just getting an axle from a junkyard so you don't have to mess with your dodge. It's not worth it at all. (You would spend way more getting your jk d30 to work in your dodge, than you could just get a d44 from a junkyard for.).

Some other things to think about- the gearing is likely not correct for either truck, like Eddie mentioned, the tone rings, bolt pattern, width, new suspension brackets, steering (some trucks have a longer pitman arm than jeeps meaning you won't have full turning radius without a longer pitman arm) new driveshafts for each truck, and... You would have BOTH of your rigs out of commission at the same time.

Still, a very good thought, IF it was that easy.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Rayz

well it was a good dream....thanks guys!...back to my original plan-to Try and Take over the World-:brows:...probably be easier..

StrizzyChris

With a thread title like that, I'm just happy it was a serious thread by a reasonable person! I thought it was a spon from the Artec thread :naw:

Top Bottom