The Chronicles of JeepFan and GemHunter

JAGS

Hooked
You made quick work of that. Great job!

Did your cage come with spacers? If so, use them to help push the uprights in and the door won't rub.

I too had to trim the shit out of my dash sides, but doing so allowed for a nice clean and flush looking install. A super sharp straight razor is your friend.

JeepFan

Hooked
You made quick work of that. Great job!

Did your cage come with spacers? If so, use them to help push the uprights in and the door won't rub.

I too had to trim the shit out of my dash sides, but doing so allowed for a nice clean and flush looking install. A super sharp straight razor is your friend.

Yes, I plan to use the shims on both sides. The passenger side doesn't fit as well as the driver side. Trimming the dash is a must to get the uprights to fit correctly. The door just barely hits on the passenger side upright but, I moved the door hinges out slightly to provide just enough clearance.

I used my jig saw to trim the dash...came out pretty good.

JAGS

Hooked
Yes, I plan to use the shims on both sides. The passenger side doesn't fit as well as the driver side. Trimming the dash is a must to get the uprights to fit correctly. The door just barely hits on the passenger side upright but, I moved the door hinges out slightly to provide just enough clearance.

I used my jig saw to trim the dash...came out pretty good.

My driver's side didn't fit as well. Lol. From what I've seen, every install is a little different.

I agree, trimming is necessary for a proper fit as well as for a finished look.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome job on the installs! We had to install spacers to help give a bit more breathing room at the doors as well so you're on the right track. Can't wait to see it all finished. [emoji106]🏻

JeepFan

Hooked
Awesome job on the installs! We had to install spacers to help give a bit more breathing room at the doors as well so you're on the right track. Can't wait to see it all finished. [emoji106]🏻

Thanks! I'll definitely be installing the spacers. Don't want door scratches! ;)

I'd recommend flat black on the dash bar. :yup:

Oh and I see some dirt behind your dash. :grayno:

Good eye!! I thought I blew out all the dirt! Lol

Why flat black? Is there an issue with glare. Maybe I'll have the entire cage powder coated flat black?

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Why flat black? Is there an issue with glare. Maybe I'll have the entire cage powder coated flat black?

I am very light sensitive. The last thing I need is glare off the roll cage. I had mine done in flat black (color matched white gloss on the other parts) and have no issues. I've talked to multiple people who have gloss paint on the dash bar (mostly colors, not sure if any black) and regret it. Just my :twocents:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I am very light sensitive. The last thing I need is glare off the roll cage. I had mine done in flat black (color matched white gloss on the other parts) and have no issues. I've talked to multiple people who have gloss paint on the dash bar (mostly colors, not sure if any black) and regret it. Just my :twocents:

I did my crossbar flat black after hearing of your experience. Been happy with the decision ever since

Sharkey

Word Ninja
My OR-Fab was flat wrinkle black and it blended great with the '09 interior. No glare issues at all. I will do the same when I get a Rock Hard cage for the Shark Tank.

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks! I'll definitely be installing the spacers. Don't want door scratches! ;)

Good eye!! I thought I blew out all the dirt! Lol

For what it's worth, I went flat black on my cross bar and haven't experienced any glare issues.

Not sure how true it is, but the powdercoat place I went to said the process of baking makes a true "flat" hard to achieve. It was more like 5-10 percent. But that that was still less than a satin. I'm happy with the end result, whatever percent it actually is.

I then went gloss silver for the rest. The gloss is a little easier to clean/wipe down, so that might be a plus for you Tony. [emoji6] Fingerprints and all. Lol.

Great list and fantastic progress so far. I second( maybe third or fourth) the flat black on the lower cross bar. I had gloss black in my last rig. Too much glare. I'll do flat in this rig when I get to it.

JeepFan

Hooked
Thanks for all the great advice on color guys! I'll definitely be going with flat black or the flat black wrinkle coat Sharkey mentioned.

MTG...Glad you brought up the subject or I wouldn't have given satin black a second thought!

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate it.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Also, if you are inclined to get fancy with your A-pillar plastic trim to make it look nice, I found that a barrel sanding bit on a dremel worked great. Just go slow because it will burn through the plastic trim quickly.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Also, if you are inclined to get fancy with your A-pillar plastic trim to make it look nice, I found that a barrel sanding bit on a dremel worked great. Just go slow because it will burn through the plastic trim quickly.

Yup, ^^^ and a flap wheel on low/med speed make for a nice, smooth finished edge on the factory plastic.

Quite a bit of trimming there too if you wish to re-install. Many others have opted to just forgo putting the trim back on. Just a personal preference. I like the finished look it gave putting it back on.

Top Bottom