The Building of the Banana Jeep

Honestly, no. I do notice heat escapes much easier (obviously) but the engine still runs at the same temps and I still notice the fan kicking on - which isn't necessarily a bad thing as that's what it's there for. Since I installed it the temperature outside has gone significantly up, so that is something to consider. I have noticed the hood stays much cooler and when I turn the Jeep off, it cools down much quicker.

Thanks for the info.

Good question. I was driving Lakewood to Conifer to Twin Cedars to Deckers over the weekend. In the 90s outside, climbing over the Rockies, and the temp gauge started climbing. At one point I have my foot all the way down and it didn't want to downshift, I think due to temps. Had to let off the gas, then hit it again.

All that had me thinking of adding one of these.

Exactly why I asked. This last weekend, my WJ did the same thing in the hills regarding not wanting to shift. Because I don't have carpet in it, with my leg I could feel the trans tunnel area getting warm as I climbed up the mountain. No issues on the flat parts nor on the way down, on cooler days it never does this. My temp gauge stayed steady, but I could tell the tranny was getting warm and struggling. The WJ already comes with 2 tranny coolers, so I'm trying to figure out ways to keep the coolant cooler. I even thought about pulling the hood off completely and just doing one road test in the hills to see if it changes. I do plan on installing a small electric fan right over my external tranny cooler (about 6 inch diameter) in the next week or so just to see.

Thanks for the info.

Exactly why I asked. This last weekend, my WJ did the same thing in the hills regarding not wanting to shift. Because I don't have carpet in it, with my leg I could feel the trans tunnel area getting warm as I climbed up the mountain. No issues on the flat parts nor on the way down, on cooler days it never does this. My temp gauge stayed steady, but I could tell the tranny was getting warm and struggling. The WJ already comes with 2 tranny coolers, so I'm trying to figure out ways to keep the coolant cooler. I even thought about pulling the hood off completely and just doing one road test in the hills to see if it changes. I do plan on installing a small electric fan right over my external tranny cooler (about 6 inch diameter) in the next week or so just to see.
Good to know. Let me know results as you try things. Realizing this may need to be a higher priority item for me.

Good question. I was driving Lakewood to Conifer to Twin Cedars to Deckers over the weekend. In the 90s outside, climbing over the Rockies, and the temp gauge started climbing. At one point I have my foot all the way down and it didn't want to downshift, I think due to temps. Had to let off the gas, then hit it again.

All that had me thinking of adding one of these.

Do a 6-speed manual swap.... problem solved ;)

Thinking about ordering AC for the Jeep. It's $1099 from JeepAir. I'm just debating if not sweating my balls off all summer long is worth that much money. I don't daily drive my Jeep but it would be nice on those hot summer days to be able to throw the AC on :cool:

In other news, I'm thinking about going wheeling this weekend.

Do a 6-speed manual swap.... problem solved ;)

Excellent suggestion :clap2:

Thinking about ordering AC for the Jeep. It's $1099 from JeepAir. I'm just debating if not sweating my balls off all summer long is worth that much money. I don't daily drive my Jeep but it would be nice on those hot summer days to be able to throw the AC on :cool:

In other news, I'm thinking about going wheeling this weekend.

I didn't have AC in my old YJ and didn't notice how much I really missed it until I had it again. Depending on how much you plan on actually driving it, it can totally be worth that much. I used to have to keep at least a gallon of water in the YJ just to keep myself from getting dehydrated lol

Plus, a write up on installing AC would be a good read ;)

Excellent suggestion :clap2:

I didn't have AC in my old YJ and didn't notice how much I really missed it until I had it again. Depending on how much you plan on actually driving it, it can totally be worth that much. I used to have to keep at least a gallon of water in the YJ just to keep myself from getting dehydrated lol

Plus, a write up on installing AC would be a good read ;)

I have AC in my Tacoma and love it. There's been times I have driven my truck to Jeep events just because I don't feel like sitting in 95-100 degree weather. Plus, after a long day on the trails, having a 3-4 hour ride home sucks in the heat. Would be nice to put the top and doors back on and ride home not feeling like I'm going to die the whole way. Just something I've been tossing around the idea of. But $1100 will buy so much other cool Jeep stuff.

Does lowering the windshield damage the seal? I know on my CJ that is the number 1 leak zone and I'd hate to create a leak on the JK.

Never heard of it doing damage (anything you use with have wear and tear though), but his is a TJ anyhow.

Never heard of it doing damage (anything you use with have wear and tear though), but his is a TJ anyhow.

That's my fear, I'd love lower it, but we get a ton of rain and snow here in Michigan and I will probably never will. I was just wondering if JKs, and TJs had the same leak problems once you open up that seal.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nice Photo! Looks pretty slick with the windshield down with that cage :thumb::rock:

Awesome pic. Love the windshield down. I may have to try that sometime just for fun.

It is a ton of fun. Especially when wheeling. There was a food truck rally in the town I live in, so I flipped it down just to show the Jeep off ;)

Does lowering the windshield damage the seal? I know on my CJ that is the number 1 leak zone and I'd hate to create a leak on the JK.

I have HEARD of it damaging the seal, but I have not experienced any issues with it, personally. I usually just try and make sure the seal stays seated in it's place and it stays clean.

That being said, my Jeep sits in the garage most of the time as I don't daily drive it. I hardly ever drive it in rain, and rarely do I drive it in the snow.

Just got this email from Jeep:

Hey there,

The Jeep Brand loved the stunning picture you recently posted and we think our fans will, too. We’re writing to request your permission to use the image in upcoming Jeep social media posts. If you agree, you give us consent to:

• Use your image(s) on any/all of the The Jeep Brand social media platforms throughout the world (including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram), for an indefinite period of time. Keep in mind that your image(s) may be used multiple
times.
• Make minor alterations to the image such as re-sizing it to fit the format of a certain platform, cropping the edges, or adding a frame of some kind.

We’ll tag your username or include your real name in a photo credit (first name, and last initial) in the copy or image. In exchange, you’ll get a hearty congratulations and Internet likes—but sorry, no payment.

Please reply to affirm that you are at least 18 years old, you reside in the USA, that you are the creator of the image in question, and that The Jeep Brand has your permission [and the permission of the person/people who appear(s)
in the image to use as described above.

Thanks for knowing a good thing when you see it,

The Jeep Brand

They liked a picture I put on my Instagram and want to share it on their's. I think that's kind of cool

Had a blast yesterday. Had to take it easy, with the new tires i had to ride the clutch a lot more to keep the Jeep from dying. It's time to put the new gears in, I've been putting it off for way too long. Was able to flex it out and check for rubbing. No issues... the rear tire stuffs perfectly in the fender. Couldn't be happier with that.

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

My buddy Corey making his way through the rock garden

IMG_0547.jpg

Top Bottom