The Adventures and Build of Remi the JL Rubicon!

Noble Woodsman

FIRST DRIVE/IMPRESSIONS

I’m gonna experiment with tire pressures, the shop that mounted them put them at 37, and they feel stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I run my 37" TGs at 28 psi, which is what gave me even tread wear with a chalk test. I'd bet good money that if you do a chalk test, you'll also find than 37 psi is too high.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jdofmemi

FIRST DRIVE/IMPRESSIONS

Okay so I couldn’t wait, so I braved the rain and got out and took it for a test drive. Logged about 15-20 miles, and here are my thoughts.

Wow, just wow. Surprisingly, it doesn’t drive that much different then my JL on 33s.

It is louder, definitely has that mud tire feel, but as far as highway driving, it is tight, no vibrations in steering, I don’t even notice that much a radial pull that’s pretty common with TGs. Power loss is minimal. Gas mileage is down at 10.9 average. Honestly, it drives better on the Rancho 2inch and 37s then it did stock. It handles bumps much better, and for being on some huge tires, it drives pretty similarly to stock. I love it, just because I know what it looks like on the outside. The Rancho suspension is an incredible set up, and the Nittos and KMCs can’t be beat.

I’m gonna experiment with tire pressures, the shop that mounted them put them at 37, and they feel stiff.

My bucket list item has been checked, I now own and have driven a Jeep on 37s. I can die happy now [emoji16]

Next on the list, skid plate Sunday. (FAD skid, Rancho front diff Glide plate, EVO protek skids) install. Then next weekend will be EVO tire carrier. After I get the license plate relocation bracket, and my WAYALIFE rear stinger, stage 1 will be DONE!

Oh yeah, moar photos.
View attachment 343362
View attachment 343363
View attachment 343364
View attachment 343365

Great!

Do glad you're happy with it, and it does look great.

I'm betting you should end up somewhere between 26 and 28 psi to run properly.

Napalm

Well, the first one is always the hardest... I was checking the torque on the rear lugs and BANG the lug key fell out and onto the wheel.
60634517674__D34EC3BC-A54B-42EB-B862-0F74A47BB85F.jpg

Hoping this makes that first scratch on the rings a little easier!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
FIRST DRIVE/IMPRESSIONS

Okay so I couldn’t wait, so I braved the rain and got out and took it for a test drive. Logged about 15-20 miles, and here are my thoughts.

Wow, just wow. Surprisingly, it doesn’t drive that much different then my JL on 33s.

It is louder, definitely has that mud tire feel, but as far as highway driving, it is tight, no vibrations in steering, I don’t even notice that much a radial pull that’s pretty common with TGs. Power loss is minimal. Gas mileage is down at 10.9 average. Honestly, it drives better on the Rancho 2inch and 37s then it did stock. It handles bumps much better, and for being on some huge tires, it drives pretty similarly to stock. I love it, just because I know what it looks like on the outside. The Rancho suspension is an incredible set up, and the Nittos and KMCs can’t be beat.

My bucket list item has been checked, I now own and have driven a Jeep on 37s. I can die happy now [emoji16]

Next on the list, skid plate Sunday. (FAD skid, Rancho front diff Glide plate, EVO protek skids) install. Then next weekend will be EVO tire carrier. After I get the license plate relocation bracket, and my WAYALIFE rear stinger, stage 1 will be DONE!

Oh yeah, moar photos.
View attachment 343362
View attachment 343363
View attachment 343364
View attachment 343365

Jeep is looking really good! The aluminum wheels really look sharp on White Jeeps! I’m a little surprised about the gas mileage. I hope that improves for you.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
You need to get rid of that lug key and just get regular lug nuts. And I agree, what's up with that mileage? Did you use your Tazer JL yet to adjust for the wheel size?

Last edited:

jdofmemi

Well, the first one is always the hardest... I was checking the torque on the rear lugs and BANG the lug key fell out and onto the wheel.
View attachment 343414

Hoping this makes that first scratch on the rings a little easier!

Dang😱

I have the Gorilla locks, with splines. They don't fall out as easy, but regular lugs are better, unless you are in a high theft area.

You need to get rid of that lug key and just get regular lug nuts. And I agree, what's up with that mileage? Did you use your Tazer JL yet to adjust for the wheel size?

If you haven't corrected the speedo for the tires the mpg will be off too.

You can get a speedometer app on your phone to verify when you have it set right.

Napalm

Friends, we have a problem. I was showing Remi off to a buddy, and he noticed this. All of my lugs on my passenger side rear have broken through/starting to break through
IMG_4338.jpg
IMG_4350.jpg
IMG_4352.jpg

IMG_4353.jpg

I took it home and immediately pulled it off, to check the studs. I don’t notice it on the other wheels.. but I’m not sure.

IMG_4340.jpg
IMG_4341.jpg
IMG_4342.jpg
IMG_4349.jpg

Anyone know what might could cause this? Anyone see anything wrong with the studs? I only noticed it on the passenger side rear, but I’m not sure.

I had an incident with this wheel and tire where the studs accidently came down on the inside of the wheel, causing this.
IMG_4343.jpg

But they all look straight, don’t feel loose or look bend.

HELP!! I need help diagnosing this!

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Friends, we have a problem. I was showing Remi off to a buddy, and he noticed this. All of my lugs on my passenger side rear have broken through/starting to break through

Don't sweat it, bro. I went through the same shit on my Gladiator (see thread below). Just torque them properly in the meantime (and make sure to wipe them off with Clorox or Lysol due to the current times). Eventually get yourself some longer/deeper (that's what she said) lug nuts and you'll be fine. I've been running the deeper lugs for over a month now with no issues. Not sure why the rear studs are longer than the front but it happens. The same exact shit happened with mine and it looks like you got the same lug nuts I did initially. I'll bet if you look closely, the driver's side rear is doing the same thing.

https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.php?4404-JT-Gladiator-Rear-wheel-studs-longer-than-front

Last edited:

Napalm

Don't sweat it, bro. I went through the same shit on my Gladiator (see thread below). Just torque them properly in the meantime (and make sure to wipe them off with Clorox or Lysol due to the current times). Eventually get yourself some longer/deeper (that's what she said) lug nuts and you'll be fine. I've been running the deeper lugs for over a month now with no issues. Not sure why the rear studs are longer than the front but it happens. The same exact shit happened with mine and it looks like you got the same lug nuts I did initially. I'll bet if you look closely, the driver's side rear is doing the same thing.

https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.php?4404-JT-Gladiator-Rear-wheel-studs-longer-than-front

Thank you WJCO. I was concerned I did something to my studs! This is very interesting! Thank you for the info.

So I guess a longer set of lugs should fix this right up?!

WJCO

Meme King
Thank you WJCO. I was concerned I did something to my studs! This is very interesting! Thank you for the info.

So I guess a longer set of lugs should fix this right up?!

Contact Discount Tire here on the forum. I already talked to them about it. I would imagine they can hook you up with the proper part number. It's identically the same part but a longer nut (that's what she said). So you can get the longer nuts for all 4 wheels and you'll be done with it.

benatc1

Hooked
Remi is looking sick! Mine has a rake with the 2in rancho if my spare is off. Pretty much leveled out with it on the back. Bum deal about the lugs but easy fix like WJCO said. Build is looking awesome!

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

WJCO has the hookup here.

JL studs are longer than JK studs, for some reason.

Your original nuts are open center and the stud sticks out.
You can buy the longer nuts, or knock the center caps out of those and let the stud stick out.

Napalm

Contact Discount Tire here on the forum. I already talked to them about it. I would imagine they can hook you up with the proper part number. It's identically the same part but a longer nut (that's what she said). So you can get the longer nuts for all 4 wheels and you'll be done with it.

WJCO has the hookup here.

JL studs are longer than JK studs, for some reason.

Your original nuts are open center and the stud sticks out.
You can buy the longer nuts, or knock the center caps out of those and let the stud stick out.

Discount tire is incredible, and they are sending me a set of new longer lug nuts completely free of charge. They are awesome!!

They are sending me 2.16 inch lug nuts, which will be plenty long compared to these.
IMG_4358.jpg

Thank you guys for the help. I was panicking thinking I screwed something up, glad to know this is a known issue and it will be an easy fix. The new lug nuts will be here Monday!

Remi is looking sick! Mine has a rake with the 2in rancho if my spare is off. Pretty much leveled out with it on the back. Bum deal about the lugs but easy fix like WJCO said. Build is looking awesome!

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you! I am excited to get that spare on. I’m hoping to get the carrier installed next weekend if I can get the Jeep back on all fours in time, then I’ll get it on. Not sure how I’m going to lift it on there though...

Reminded me of a baseball diamond. So I made you your own ad.

View attachment 343487

That’s awesome!!! I LOVE IT! Thanks for making that! Hahaha so cool!

Napalm

DT really is is a stand up company. Glad you got it all to work out [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

They really are incredible. I reached out to the on the forum just looking to point me in the direction of the correct lugs so I could buy them, and Matt informed me that he was sending me a box free of charge!

Your Jeep is really looking good!

Thank you! I appreciate you saying so! The build is almost complete and it’s been a lot of fun seeing it come together!

Top Bottom