Teraflex Full Float Hubs

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I just want to know what idiot would throw more $$ at an already known issue rather than just replacing for better. REGARDLESS of what brand you may or may not be loyal to or prefer. I don't know anyone who regularly contibutes to this forum that would tell anyone else on here or in real life to throw money at a D30 unless it was for c-gussets and even then those are pointless depending on what you use you jeep for on a regular basis. So either you think so little about us individually or as a forum or you are just trolling for an argument. Either way it's just sad.

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dude, when a NOOB searches the internet, for Wrangler mods, they are bombarded by Teraflex videos, and misinformation from fanboys. They make a lot of money, due to ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bacon

I doubt anyone would put it in a 30. But some might run it on a pr44 to match an 8 lug ff rear. And if you think people know better than to waste money on axles, you should have a word with all the folks running semi float pr60s.
PR60s are semi float? Really?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ah. I guess I just assumed they were all full float. Why go through that expense and only get semi float?

LOL!! Hindsight is 20/20. You've got to remember that the ProRock 60 was introduced well before the JK, a vehicle that could weigh in at 7,000 lbs. was ever an idea let alone pushing 40" tires or bigger. Back then, a semi-float 60 was more than enough to get the job done especially when 35" tires were considered big and 37's HUGE. When the JK did finally come out 10 years ago, nobody really had an idea how big and heavy people were going to be building them and even guys like me originally thought a semi-float axle would be enough. It was only through time and use that we found out otherwise and later had our rear 60 converted to a full-float setup and then later moved up to a ProRock 80.

YDAJC

Upgrading the JKURR

Looks like an interesting forum and with a good knowledge base so I am going to toss this idea out there for constructive comment.

Looking at upgrading my 2017 JKURR with a D 60 rear axle know if one available for a good price. Now what to do withthe front. Found out thru the upgrade process that I have a J8 front axle thicker tubes than the "normal" 44. From what I have seen normal is a liberal term. The "'C's" are much thicker and the tubes are beefy as well. Installed equipment includes RCV shafts, Ried racing knuckles and Dyna trac Ball joints. Looking at the Terafelx full float conversion up front:

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-...ub-conversion-kit-w-big-brakes-slotted-rotors

This would give me the same bolt patern as the D60 rear and free spin hubs for the Daily Grind, yes this is a daily driver as well as a off road rig. I am looking to upfit a set of BFG KM3 39/13.50x17 to replace the current KO2 37/12.50x17.

I have done a numbers crunch on a set of Dyantrac axles loaded and ready MOPAR D 60s, Dynatrac 44/60 package and the local sourced D60 with the upgraded teraflex kit... Number wise the Teraflex is the lowest cost. . i even factored in selling the take off parts and matchng gears in the rebuild J8 axle. My rig is a crawler and Daily driver just looking for more performance off road, ground clearance and ablity to get over the trail challenges.

Open to thoughts, comments and discussion

Cheers

WJCO

Meme King
Looks like an interesting forum and with a good knowledge base so I am going to toss this idea out there for constructive comment.

Looking at upgrading my 2017 JKURR with a D 60 rear axle know if one available for a good price. Now what to do withthe front. Found out thru the upgrade process that I have a J8 front axle thicker tubes than the "normal" 44. From what I have seen normal is a liberal term. The "'C's" are much thicker and the tubes are beefy as well. Installed equipment includes RCV shafts, Ried racing knuckles and Dyna trac Ball joints. Looking at the Terafelx full float conversion up front:

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-...ub-conversion-kit-w-big-brakes-slotted-rotors

This would give me the same bolt patern as the D60 rear and free spin hubs for the Daily Grind, yes this is a daily driver as well as a off road rig. I am looking to upfit a set of BFG KM3 39/13.50x17 to replace the current KO2 37/12.50x17.

I have done a numbers crunch on a set of Dyantrac axles loaded and ready MOPAR D 60s, Dynatrac 44/60 package and the local sourced D60 with the upgraded teraflex kit... Number wise the Teraflex is the lowest cost. . i even factored in selling the take off parts and matchng gears in the rebuild J8 axle. My rig is a crawler and Daily driver just looking for more performance off road, ground clearance and ablity to get over the trail challenges.

Cheers

Merged here.

dillard09

Welcome to the family!
My 2 cents...
If you plan on running anything bigger than a 37 and really wheeling it, I would skip trying to run them on the D44 front. Even with the upgrades it's still a D44 ring and pinion. I would buy once and cry once. Sell your current setup and get you a set of 60s. Slap them on and go have some fun.

Ddays

Hooked
I have to admit I have peeked at these hubs as well as the Spyntec versions. I'm never going over my current 37's ( :rolleyes2:) and the reason I've looked is for the wear & tear on the front axle components.
Is there anyone out there that will admit to running these or "knows a friend that has these" that can offer any experiences with them?

Granted, these hubs require maintenance that the unit bearings do not, but I grew up packing bearings so it's not a big deal. Saving the wear & tear on the front axle would be pretty beneficial.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have to admit I have peeked at these hubs as well as the Spyntec versions. I'm never going over my current 37's ( :rolleyes2:) and the reason I've looked is for the wear & tear on the front axle components.
Is there anyone out there that will admit to running these or "knows a friend that has these" that can offer any experiences with them?

Granted, these hubs require maintenance that the unit bearings do not, but I grew up packing bearings so it's not a big deal. Saving the wear & tear on the front axle would be pretty beneficial.

There used to be a guy on WAL that had the TF kit front and rear. Part of the Texas contingent, I believe. He took a lot of shit for it but stuck around for a while. Haven’t seen him in some time though. As I recall, he was happy with the set up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Cheers

Holy thread revival - LOL!!

I'm sure it's just me but when it comes to building up my Jeeps to handle big tires, "the lowest cost" isn't exactly something I like to entertain. Now, I am by no means made of money and I fully understanding the need to work on a budget but in my limited experience, it often costs a LOT MORE in the end when you cheap out on things like axles. Putting aside the fact that TeraFlex makes china junk, you're J8 axle with "thicker tubes" is a FAR CRY from a 60. Sure, it has a slightly bigger diameter than a Dana 30 but the wall is still only .25" and this is to say nothing about your ring and pinion being just a Dana 44. With a set of 39's, you really want to be running 5.38 gears and on a Dana 44, that'll leave you with a tiny pinion. Trust me, I've tried cheaping out and going this route about 10 years ago - ask me how well it worked out LOL!

If money is a concern, save up a bit longer and do things right the first time. You'll be doing yourself a favor in the long run.

Ddays

Hooked
There used to be a guy on WAL that had the TF kit front and rear. Part of the Texas contingent, I believe. He took a lot of shit for it but stuck around for a while. Haven’t seen him in some time though. As I recall, he was happy with the set up.

The concept makes sense, after all Jeep went back to a cheap version of this setup with the FAD.

fiend

Caught the Bug
The concept makes sense, after all Jeep went back to a cheap version of this setup with the FAD.

I have a thought about using the TF kit on my PR44 and maybe regearing the front to 5.38, and then picking up a 14 bolt for the rear. I am satisfied with 37s and don’t plan to go to 40s.

The benefits would be (1) ability to go with 5.38s, which would help my poor 3.8; (2) go full float in the rear with a much stronger axle; (3) get free spin in the front; (4) save a ton of money over buying a new front axle or building up a Ford Dana 60.

Downsides would be (1) running 5.38s in the PR44, with associated risk of ring/pinion failure; (2) size of the 14 bolt, with associated reduced ground clearance; (3) cost (vs staying with my current PR44/OEM 44 set up).

YDAJC

Holy thread revival - LOL!!

I'm sure it's just me but when it comes to building up my Jeeps to handle big tires, "the lowest cost" isn't exactly something I like to entertain. Now, I am by no means made of money and I fully understanding the need to work on a budget but in my limited experience, it often costs a LOT MORE in the end when you cheap out on things like axles. Putting aside the fact that TeraFlex makes china junk, you're J8 axle with "thicker tubes" is a FAR CRY from a 60. Sure, it has a slightly bigger diameter than a Dana 30 but the wall is still only .25" and this is to say nothing about your ring and pinion being just a Dana 44. With a set of 39's, you really want to be running 5.38 gears and on a Dana 44, that'll leave you with a tiny pinion. Trust me, I've tried cheaping out and going this route about 10 years ago - ask me how well it worked out LOL!

If money is a concern, save up a bit longer and do things right the first time. You'll be doing yourself a favor in the long run.

Certainly there are a lot of opinions here onTeraflex..... General concensus is it is not a very good product. Yes there are several way to skin this cat.. I am exporing ideas to see if what I have is worth working with I have or do I need dump $10-$15k in a new set of axles or build a set from the yard. additional .25 inch in tube thickness lends to a great increase in strength... from a mechanical standpoint. I think the long pole in the tent is as you stated the ring and pinion strength. I remember this from my days building big trucks, thre is a point of diminishing returns. the lower gearing was made up in reductions gears and lower gearing in transmissions. I am not a "send it" kinda guy but I also don't want to pop a gear set in some in hospitable place. One of the things I was attempting to do is keep unsprung weight down and just looking for different way to do that. The bullet proof way I agree is to go out right 1 ton axles.

I have seen some D44 with D 60 knuckles and some Ford 9 inch with D 60 ends.... Love to have the F ord 9 inch... but that is a bunch of coin and very custom. The build was not going to happen this year, perhaps I should just start garthering parts.

.Thanks for the education on T flex...

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

ExodusJeeps - formally granite_head did the full float hub conversion on a pr44 unlimited front, and OEM rear 44

He ended up selling the axles to Jackal01 when Exodus built the junkyard axles for warpig, which are now on Dillard09's jeep (IIRC?) and Exodus Jeeps is working on testing something new. (I think a 3rd member jeep axle?)

Jackal01 is still running around on the full float conversion & 37s without issues as far as I know. All I really remember about the setup was it is a LOT of work to install, and doesnt address the actual weaknesses of the jk44s. Due to quality off-yhe shelf concerns, Exodus went with Custom mouser shafts, replaced all the bearings with timkin upgrades, etc, etc... basically only keeping the bare bones & rotors from terrorflex... I could be wrong though, as this was years ago now.

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
ExodusJeeps - formally granite_head did the full float hub conversion on a pr44 unlimited front, and OEM rear 44

He ended up selling the axles to Jackal01 when Exodus built the junkyard axles for warpig, which are now on Dillard09's jeep (IIRC?) and Exodus Jeeps is working on testing something new. (I think a 3rd member jeep axle?)

Jackal01 is still running around on the full float conversion & 37s without issues as far as I know. All I really remember about the setup was it is a LOT of work to install, and doesnt address the actual weaknesses of the jk44s. Due to quality off-yhe shelf concerns, Exodus went with Custom mouser shafts, replaced all the bearings with timkin upgrades, etc, etc... basically only keeping the bare bones & rotors from terrorflex... I could be wrong though, as this was years ago now.

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

Yeah Jackal01 is the guy I was thinking of.

Top Bottom