Swaybars

Fridge81

You should and it really is simple. The motor is a single unit and you'd have to pull it off in order to install a NO-Limits knob anyway. Once it's off, you sway bar WILL be locked unless there's something else going on but really, I doubt it.

Okay, cool. I'm interested to see what else may be wrong, especially after learning that it is designed to default into the locked position. I won't get to mess with it until the 19th or 20th, but I can post up my findings here if anyone else is interested.

One of the guys that I was talking about had it ultimately fail in the unlocked position, but to be honest it was giving him fits for months and he just never looked into it. He ordered the "No Limits" and it still didn't fix the problem because the real issue was mud and gunk in the gear portion of the assembly. Once it was cleaned and re-lubed he wondered if that was the real issue and reinstalled the motor. Sure enough, the motor was fine all along.

This said, there are plenty of documented motor failures, so I would agree it's the more common failure. And from what I've seen most are at the connector. It's kind of a crappy design.

Still, If my motor fails I will replace it with another motor. I know it's expensive, but I like the ability to not only unlock, but also lock it up on the trail for some situations.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Good, informative thread. I've always been nervous about the e-disco, especially after water crossings, but now that I'm better informed about the default I'm gonna stick with it 'til the motor well and truly craps. At that point I'll put a call into EVO.:yup:

Something I do and maybe take for granted others do... Is after deep water and/or mud I will disconnect, clean, and grease the seal and pins on the motor and connector. I don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel better ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Something I do and maybe take for granted others do... Is after deep water and/or mud I will disconnect, clean, and grease the seal and pins on the motor and connector. I don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel better ;)

It makes a difference. Making sure that the seal is clean and the lever lock securely in place will help keep water out of the connector. Adding some dielectric grease to the pins will help too. The number one cause of a faulty motor is water contamination at the connector.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
It makes a difference. Making sure that the seal is clean and the lever lock securely in place will help keep water out of the connector. Adding some dielectric grease to the pins will help too. The number one cause of a faulty motor is water contamination at the connector.

I didn't know this. Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

I thought dielectric grease should not be applied to the pins as it is actually a insulator and should be applied to the seal/gasket only.

I know people use it on spark plugs but the contact of the connector is tight enough to penetrate the grease. but is mostly just used only on the rubber boot.

(I could be wrong but that is how I understood it.) :beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought dielectric grease should not be applied to the pins as it is actually a insulator and should be applied to the seal/gasket only.

I know people use it on spark plugs but the contact of the connector is tight enough to penetrate the grease. but is mostly just used only on the rubber boot.

(I could be wrong but that is how I understood it.) :beer:

The fitment of the pins is tight, the grease will or should get pushed off and create a more waterproof seal around them.

Voodoo Actual

This doesn't make sense.

I keep saying I am considering a non Rubicon model. I'm asking what people recommend for non Rubicon models.

Implying I made up the swaybar not locking up is absurd. It's has been documented that they have failed. It being locked in the default position has nothing to do with it by locking back up after being disconnected.

Besides, Chrysler products never ever have any issues...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This doesn't make sense.

I keep saying I am considering a non Rubicon model. I'm asking what people recommend for non Rubicon models.

And this doesn't make any sense.

I have already recommend something OTHER THAN a Rubi e-locker and even posted up a pic of it. Did you not see it??

Implying I made up the swaybar not locking up is absurd. It's has been documented that they have failed. It being locked in the default position has nothing to do with it by locking back up after being disconnected.

Besides, Chrysler products never ever have any issues...

Not implying anything other than the fact that you have ZERO personal experience with Rubi e-lockers. But hey, I'm not here to tell you what you should or shouldn't buy. Clearly, your Jeep is your as is your money and you should throw it at your Jeep however you want. :yup:

utiadam

LOSER
Everyone here is just trying to lead you in the right direction. There is no point in getting rid of the Rubi sway bar if there is nothing to be gained from aftermarket ones besides headache. I almost drank the kool aid that currie anti rocks are the best. Eddie told me his opinion and experiences with them which has made me decide to stick with stock. If you do decide to get rid of the factory one I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling it but don't throw it away.

Sorry, not meant at you. I got quote happy. It was for the OP.
I figured. Everyone has spent the day trying to give solid advice, but OP is appearently set on a sport sway bar, so you are exactly right. Id say jks would be one of the best options.

Voodoo Actual

Telling me to get whatever product for a Rubicon when I'm asking about products for a non Rubicon isn't helping.

I'm sure the JKS disconnects are the most economical however I can see them being frustrating at the end of the day in the rain, mud, snow, and dark when you are linking them back up.

The Currie seems alright. A compromise and you don't have to roll around in the mud.

Other than the Teraflex swaybar, what else is there?

Voodoo Actual

And this doesn't make any sense.

I have already recommend something OTHER THAN a Rubi e-locker and even posted up a pic of it. Did you not see it??

Not implying anything other than the fact that you have ZERO personal experience with Rubi e-lockers. But hey, I'm not here to tell you what you should or shouldn't buy. Clearly, your Jeep is your as is your money and you should throw it at your Jeep however you want. :yup:

I saw your picture but the product appears to be for a Rubicon.

JAGS

Hooked
I do have a Rubicon. It is nothing but problems so I am considering a non Rubicon as a replacement.

From below:crazyeyes::crazyeyes::crazyeyes:, now ^^^^ Uh....THIS! You have a rubicon or at least that is what you told us. Read back through this thread and you'll find several options that will work. Be it with your broken rubi quick disco faulty motor or several completly "NON_RUBI" options. If you are not smart enough to see their commendations, that's not the fault of those making them. :grayno:

Telling me to get whatever product for a Rubicon when I'm asking about products for a non Rubicon isn't helping.

I'm sure the JKS disconnects are the most economical however I can see them being frustrating at the end of the day in the rain, mud, snow, and dark when you are linking them back up.

The Currie seems alright. A compromise and you don't have to roll around in the mud.

Other than the Teraflex swaybar, what else is there?

See above...again.....:crazyeyes::crazyeyes:

I saw your picture but the product appears to be for a Rubicon.

See above....:crazyeyes:

Top Bottom