Swapping AEV spring with EVO ... Shock help

wagonwheel

Hey all,

First post here. i recently sold my JT rubicon and picked up a JKU rubicon. the JT had EVO springs and factory FOX shocks. i loved the way it drove and handled. The JKUR i picked up was already set up pretty well for overlanding. The problem is i dont really overland so much as weekend get aways and trail riding. currently the JKU has a 3.5" AEV lift. it rides fine on the street (if you dont hit potholes lol) but is just too stiff for trail riding on a relatively unloaded jeep. i figured this was do to the spring rate AEV uses as well as there "re-valved" Bilsteins 5100 shocks.

I picked up some 4" EVO springs (havent been installed yet) and am wondering what affordable shocks yall would think would pair well with them. im leaning towards FOX 2.0 with resi. im trying to keep the money on the shocks around the 800$ mark.

Any input would be great.. image_50430209.JPG

image_50455041.JPG

wagonwheel

Honestly, being that budget is important, I would give the new Rancho RS7MTs a try.

Rancho hasnt even crossed my mind. Thanks for giving me something to look into. i dont mind spending a bit of money....i just dont wanna spend thousands on my daily when the TJ is the garage with play time money invested in it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rancho hasnt even crossed my mind. Thanks for giving me something to look into. i dont mind spending a bit of money....i just dont wanna spend thousands on my daily when the TJ is the garage with play time money invested in it.
Personally, I've always found that the Rancho 9000 shocks provide a nice ride especially for a daily driver. They are affordable and can be dialed in to however you like best. Their biggest downside is that they tend to fade when driving hard and fast across the desert. I have run their older 7000 MTs on an XJ and found them to offer a nice ride and actually do better out in the desert. The new RS7MT seems like they made nice improvements to it as well. And again, they are affordable.

Hey all,

First post here. i recently sold my JT rubicon and picked up a JKU rubicon. the JT had EVO springs and factory FOX shocks. i loved the way it drove and handled. The JKUR i picked up was already set up pretty well for overlanding. The problem is i dont really overland so much as weekend get aways and trail riding. currently the JKU has a 3.5" AEV lift. it rides fine on the street (if you dont hit potholes lol) but is just too stiff for trail riding on a relatively unloaded jeep. i figured this was do to the spring rate AEV uses as well as there "re-valved" Bilsteins 5100 shocks.

I picked up some 4" EVO springs (havent been installed yet) and am wondering what affordable shocks yall would think would pair well with them. im leaning towards FOX 2.0 with resi. im trying to keep the money on the shocks around the 800$ mark.

Any input would be great.. View attachment 382890

View attachment 382891
Well, funny you should have the same issue with AEV. I have the AEV 2.5” lift on my JLUR with 33K on the lift and 5100s. The shocks are complete toast and the rough ride is now so bad. I’m trying to figure out what to do as well. Thinking of keeping the springs (because I tow an off-road trailer) but go with adjustable shocks.

Top Bottom