Stronger axle question

Jerms

Is there a stronger rear axle than the stock Dana 44 that still uses the 5x5 JK bolt pattern? Or are there conversion kits (maybe going to a Dana 60 etc.)? Im not interested ( I dont think) in a 14 bolt or spending a ton of money on Dynas or something of that nature, I guess a Dana 60 is really all I would consider.

Dynatrac offers a Trail 60 that comes in a factory width and a 5x5 bolt pattern. It's more affordable than a ProRock 60 too.

Dynatrac offers a Trail 60 that comes in a factory width and a 5x5 bolt pattern. It's more affordable than a ProRock 60 too.

And for a couple hundred bucks you can upgrade to the prorock option. This is what I plan on running in the back.

Is there a stronger rear axle than the stock Dana 44 that still uses the 5x5 JK bolt pattern? Or are there conversion kits (maybe going to a Dana 60 etc.)? Im not interested ( I dont think) in a 14 bolt or spending a ton of money on Dynas or something of that nature, I guess a Dana 60 is really all I would consider.

I just installed a G2 Rockjock 60 with Chromolly Shafts and and ARB for 3.5K.

5x5

Disclaimer. I do have a Dynatrac front and would of had a Dynatrack rear, but I only have so much money! and the rockjock III beats the hell out of my old sport D44.

Last edited:
Do you still need to reinforce the Rockjock? Any weaknesses?

I know the PR is unmatched in quality, but also unmatched in price tag... :cheesy:

I know the PR is unmatched in quality, but also unmatched in price tag... :cheesy:

The rockjock is semi float so it's not as strong as a pr in that aspect, and I think it's 5x5 bolt pattern, so for 40's and up it's not able to take as much abuse.

The G2 Rock Jock only comes in a 3" tube that is only .25" thick (same as a factory Dana 44) and only comes with 30 spline axle shafts. It also comes with a weaker than stock 1310 yoke. I mean, if you're gonna run a so called "60" with a bigger ring and pinon, I can't imagine why you would run such a weak drive shaft. By contrast, the Dynatrac Trail 60 comes with heavy duty 3-1/8” tubes that are 5/16” wall DOM and is available with a 1350 yoke. Of course, this is to say nothing about the fact that it comes with 35 spline 1.5”, induction-hardened, alloy steel axle shafts. Simply put, you get what you pay for.

I'd also like to mention that the price difference between a G2 and Trail 60 is only about $750.

It seems we got off the original topic a little. I was hoping for an adaption for 5x5 to work in a Dana 60...I guess there's nothing out there

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

What's the difference in price from a prorock 60 and a trail 60? Is it a lot?

Depending on what all options you get it with, a ProRock 60 can be over $2 more.

It seems we got off the original topic a little. I was hoping for an adaption for 5x5 to work in a Dana 60...I guess there's nothing out there

The Dynatrac Trail 60 is essentially a better Dana 60 that can be run with a 5x5 bolt pattern.

You wont be able to get a true D60F with a 5-5 wheel end. The bearings and hub casting that are used are just too big to accommodate that bolt pattern. This is also the same case for a full float 60 rear.

You can get a semi-float 60 with 5-5 or 5-5.5.

Top Bottom