Stop Sale on Manual Transmissions

Jimmyt

I have a 2DR MT Rubicon sitting in D1 status with an estimated delivery of May 4'th, but given the recent 19A recall for manual transmission with no fix given yet, and all sales of MT's stopped, I don't have any faith in that date. I know that there is supposed to be a "fix" in the second quarter, and the next information about 19A is to be out mid April. I was wondering if anyone here has any inside info about what the fix is going to be. The first two that were done in 2020 for the same issue did not appear to address the real problem.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been discussed here before.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, if there's any chance you can change your order, I would highly recommend that you just get an automatic. Like you, I really do enjoy a manual and I do have one my 2-door Sport but it's probably my least favorite manual that I've owned.

Upvote 0

Jimmyt

Thanks, I left a message for my dealer. We will see if I can make the change. I have been planning on this purchase for almost a year, and I have watched all of your videos during that time.

I do appreciate what you guys do!

Upvote 0

bk030

my gladiator was built and held at the plant in Feb-March of 2021 when one of the original recalls was announced. It stayed there until they came up with the software flash to "fix" the issue. My jeep did not ship until the end of March. Now as every manual owner is finding out there was actually never a fix. Like Eddie stated i would switch to an automatic if you can. I prefer a manual as well, but after buying my girlfriend a new grand cherokee L with the 8 speed and seeing what it can do with the 3.6 i would not hesitate in switching.

Upvote 0

Jimmyt

Thanks bk030, I appreciate the input. I did notice that on the configurator the same 8 speed auto is only a $2000 charge for the 2.0 Turbo, but is a $4,250 charge for the 3.6L, but there is no up charge for either of the engines. Not sure why that is, but unless the configurator is wrong, going with the auto and the 3.6L will cost me $2,250 more than the auto with the 2.0L Turbo. It never seems to be easy.

I'm still waiting for my dealer to call me back....... i think he knows what I am planning.....

Upvote 0

Jimmyt

It looks like I can only order the 3.6L with the etorque system and the 2.0L turbo without it.

It looks like there are no current recalls on the 3.6L with etorque, but there are a few class action suites involving it (I guess I'm a little paranoid after ordering the MT the day before they put a stop sale on it.

Does anyone have any experience with the 3.6L including the etorque?

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The etorque is nice. I don't know why they got rid of it on the 2.0L but back when it was still included, it might have been what I would have recommended instead.

Upvote 0
It looks like I can only order the 3.6L with the etorque system and the 2.0L turbo without it.

It looks like there are no current recalls on the 3.6L with etorque, but there are a few class action suites involving it (I guess I'm a little paranoid after ordering the MT the day before they put a stop sale on it.

Does anyone have any experience with the 3.6L including the etorque?
You’ll like the 3.6 with the etorque. I’ve had no troubles for 2.5 years with mine. The etorque is different than the original system where there’s the troublesome auxiliary battery under the main battery. This system has a 48v battery thats in the rear along the frame-rail. I have the Tazer installed and with it the system stays off unless I reenable it.

Edit: I’ve accidentally ran the main down while camping (refrigerator) and was able to jump start using my Noco without a problem.

Upvote 0

Jimmyt

I talked to my dealer and he told me that the good news was that the dealership would let me order another without penalty, but that they could no longer place orders for a 2023 and that I would have to order a 2024.... Not necessarily a bad thing, other than that they have no pricing yet, or complete descriptions of what the options actually contain. I guess now I will wait to see what a 2024 Rubicon will cost, and what is included in the package. I did see that there is a new Rubicon package (2TY) that includes a lot of added options, and I think the plane 2024 rubicon package now includes the LED light package and the tow package in addition to the original 2023 list.

My dealer told me that I would not see a 2024 order delivered until July if I placed it now, and other places I have seen that they will not be shipping until Fall.

Now I will wait and see.....

If anyone has access to the order sheets and can share them, that would be great, also if you have any ideas about 2024 ship dates, that would also be great.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your information, If I were to change to an automatic, what engine would you recommend?
I am pretty happy with the 2.0L Turbo. 3-1/2 years (and maybe 34k miles) and no engine-related issues yet (only battery). But maybe that happens at 4 years. The acceleration and fuel economy are good. It is a bit bursty for acceleration at times but no real complaints.

Upvote 0
Wait as long as you can to get this year's model, even if the manual transmission is not the best. It is hard to buy a vehicle with a manual these days. If your deposit is small, who cares?

Then go to another dealer and put down a $200 deposit on a 2024 model. Cancel it if the first one turns up.

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
Thank you for your information, If I were to change to an automatic, what engine would you recommend?
I have one of each. Automatic on both. No etorque. So far no issues. 40k on 3.6 and about 20k on the 2.0. Both have been great. The only fear in the back of my mind is that the 3.6 engine has issues with camshaft and lifter rollers that wear out prematurely. The 2.0 is a new engine design but I haven't seen any common issues with it really.

Upvote 1

Tixslam

I have 43k on a 3.6 Etorque and a auto with no issues at all. I don't even bother turning off the start/stop function. It seems that Jeep got it right this time.

Upvote 0

DZRTJP

Thanks bk030, I appreciate the input. I did notice that on the configurator the same 8 speed auto is only a $2000 charge for the 2.0 Turbo, but is a $4,250 charge for the 3.6L, but there is no up charge for either of the engines. Not sure why that is, but unless the configurator is wrong, going with the auto and the 3.6L will cost me $2,250 more than the auto with the 2.0L Turbo. It never seems to be easy.

I'm still waiting for my dealer to call me back....... i think he knows what I am planning.....
We went with the 2.0L Turbo. Except for the turbo lag, it's been a great choice. Aftermarket intake & exhaust woke it up more & even bumped the mileage up a tick. I'm like some of the others & like the 3.6's... but this little turbo really gets up & scoots! I just need to try a throttle enhancer or ? To reduce the turbo lag off the line.

Upvote 0

Jimmyt

So today I switched my order from the 2023 rubicon 2dr MT (that had a new delivery date of May 28, originally May 4), to a 2024 2DR AT Rubicon X. I did this now since the pricing for the 2024 was dropped to the dealers on Wednesday April 26.

I thought that forum members might be interested in what I found out in the process. Sorry if you already knew all this.

1.) The X package (order code 24Y for the 3.6 with Auto) on the two door includes different things than the X package on the 4 DR (the up-charge on the 2DR is $9,500 from a Rubicon 2DR 3.6 with AT to a Rubicon X 2DR 3.6 with AT and is about $3000 more on the four door due to the differences listed below.
a.) the 2DR does not get 35's and the accompanying suspension upgrade (lift and shocks) along with the upgraded rear tire carrier updates.
b.) The 2DR only gets a power driver seat, where the 4DR gets both driver and passenger (I don't really care about the power seats, but they come with the X package.
2.) The standard Rubicon (non X) can no longer be equipped with leather seats. The only way to get leather is to purchase the X package which then includes a lot of other options.

I know a lot of people don't like leather in a Jeep, but I find keeping leather looking good is much easier than cloth.... just my opinion and since I wanted at least half of the options in the X package, I went for it. The one thing I really didn't want in the X package was the body color roof and fenders. I actually liked the contrast between the black parts and the Sarge Green, oh well. The other part of the X that is a bit problematic is that it comes with the factory steal bumpers ( not necessarily a bad thing, but I was planning on going with some aftermarket steal's just to switch it up and to eliminate the hideous bulges on the 2024 factory steal front bumpers that are there to pass the low speed crash tests and presumable to protect the winch if you equip it from the factory. The winch is not included in the X package, but is a $1,995 option)

On the good side, all the Rubicon models regardless of number of doors or inclusion of X get the new floating dana rear axel.

On the bad side, you still can't get 35's from the factory on a 2 DR. (the explanation I got was that the side impact / role over test was much worse with the added hight to the shorter wheelbase and therefore will never be offered as a factory option in the JL)

Let me know if this is helpful, and feel free to ask about other things, I know I left a lot out on the option info, but was trying to keep it shorter since I am new to the forum and didn't want to be "that guy".

Thanks,
Jimmy T

Upvote 0

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So today I switched my order from the 2023 rubicon 2dr MT (that had a new delivery date of May 28, originally May 4), to a 2024 2DR AT Rubicon X. I did this now since the pricing for the 2024 was dropped to the dealers on Wednesday April 26.

I thought that forum members might be interested in what I found out in the process. Sorry if you already knew all this.

1.) The X package (order code 24Y for the 3.6 with Auto) on the two door includes different things than the X package on the 4 DR (the up-charge on the 2DR is $9,500 from a Rubicon 2DR 3.6 with AT to a Rubicon X 2DR 3.6 with AT and is about $3000 more on the four door due to the differences listed below.
a.) the 2DR does not get 35's and the accompanying suspension upgrade (lift and shocks) along with the upgraded rear tire carrier updates.
b.) The 2DR only gets a power driver seat, where the 4DR gets both driver and passenger (I don't really care about the power seats, but they come with the X package.
2.) The standard Rubicon (non X) can no longer be equipped with leather seats. The only way to get leather is to purchase the X package which then includes a lot of other options.

I know a lot of people don't like leather in a Jeep, but I find keeping leather looking good is much easier than cloth.... just my opinion and since I wanted at least half of the options in the X package, I went for it. The one thing I really didn't want in the X package was the body color roof and fenders. I actually liked the contrast between the black parts and the Sarge Green, oh well. The other part of the X that is a bit problematic is that it comes with the factory steal bumpers ( not necessarily a bad thing, but I was planning on going with some aftermarket steal's just to switch it up and to eliminate the hideous bulges on the 2024 factory steal front bumpers that are there to pass the low speed crash tests and presumable to protect the winch if you equip it from the factory. The winch is not included in the X package, but is a $1,995 option)

On the good side, all the Rubicon models regardless of number of doors or inclusion of X get the new floating dana rear axel.

On the bad side, you still can't get 35's from the factory on a 2 DR. (the explanation I got was that the side impact / role over test was much worse with the added hight to the shorter wheelbase and therefore will never be offered as a factory option in the JL)

Let me know if this is helpful, and feel free to ask about other things, I know I left a lot out on the option info, but was trying to keep it shorter since I am new to the forum and didn't want to be "that guy".

Thanks,
Jimmy T
I agree with you on the leather. Also the passenger seat in the two door being no powered makes sense since it would probably be really difficult to make the tumble option work to get in the back seat. I don’t think the tumble option is on the driver side but it’s been a while since I’ve tried on my old two door.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom