Stock Dana 44 Trac-Loc side gears

WillyRockIt

I went to replace my bent diff cover on my 14' JKU WW and found chips on the top and bottom side gears. Without taking it all apart and inspecting it closely it looks as though the rest of the gears are fine.

Any thoughts on what would cause this and are the side gears available to buy separately?

Note: I just returned from running the Rubicon Trail. I also occasionally tow a trailer but didn't this trip.

IMG_4594.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I went to replace my bent diff cover on my 14' JKU WW and found chips on the top and bottom side gears. Without taking it all apart and inspecting it closely it looks as though the rest of the gears are fine.

Any thoughts on what would cause this and are the side gears available to buy separately?

Note: I just returned from running the Rubicon Trail. I also occasionally tow a trailer but didn't this trip.

View attachment 276294

Clutch plates are probably worn out and walking the gears in and out too much.
The factory LSD is pretty shitty to be honest. Our local gear shop here has a "wall of shame" with tons of those carriers with chipped/broken gears.

WillyRockIt

Clutch plates are probably worn out and walking the gears in and out too much.
The factory LSD is pretty shitty to be honest. Our local gear shop here has a "wall of shame" with tons of those carriers with chipped/broken gears.

Got it. Is there a rebuild kit available that you know of? Most of the kits I see online say they're not compatible with the Jeep JK Dana 44.

WJCO

Meme King
I've seen a few jeeps just keeping driving with chipped gears like that and go a long way. Obviously they should be replaced, but I wouldnt worry about rushing to get it fixed. Just keep an eye on them.

WillyRockIt

I've seen a few jeeps just keeping driving with chipped gears like that and go a long way. Obviously they should be replaced, but I wouldnt worry about rushing to get it fixed. Just keep an eye on them.

I was hoping to hear that from someone. I'm planning on re-gearing but the funds just aren't available right now. Wasn't looking forward to dumping $300 into a temp setup. I think I'll press my luck for a while and see how it goes. Been hard getting a straight answer on parts online. I will be stopping into my local shop to see what's up this week. Thanks for the feed back.

WJCO

Meme King
I was hoping to hear that from someone. I'm planning on re-gearing but the funds just aren't available right now. Wasn't looking forward to dumping $300 into a temp setup. I think I'll press my luck for a while and see how it goes. Been hard getting a straight answer on parts online. I will be stopping into my local shop to see what's up this week. Thanks for the feed back.

Just listen for louder noises and keep an eye on fluid for metal and you should be OK for awhile.

Top Bottom